Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Xreas Failure - What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Xreas Failure - What are my options?

I have a 2003 4Runner with Xreas and I think I have a shock that has gone bad, it is leaking fluid (front driver's side). Anyway, It will probably cost more than I want to know to fix Xreas.....The search has gave me a lot of info but I would like some up-to-date opinions gathered in one spot. I know there are a few of you that have removed the Xreas system and installed a lift using new coils and shocks/struts, what do you recommend and how has it performed? I would prefer not to use spacers and would like to have extra support in the rear for towing/loads. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HuntRunner
I have a 2003 4Runner with Xreas and I think I have a shock that has gone bad, it is leaking fluid (front driver's side). Anyway, It will probably cost more than I want to know to fix Xreas.....The search has gave me a lot of info but I would like some up-to-date opinions gathered in one spot. I know there are a few of you that have removed the Xreas system and installed a lift using new coils and shocks/struts, what do you recommend and how has it performed? I would prefer not to use spacers and would like to have extra support in the rear for towing/loads. Any help is appreciated.
First off, I think you can get the single shock replaced, but only with a OEM x-reas shock. The stealer is probably the only place that could do it too. I would assume if it was under warranty, you would have just taken it in, so that's out of the question. If there is something actually wrong with your shock and you need a replacement, there are at least a couple of us on the board that would be happy to sell you a x-reas shock that we have laying around. The catch is: personally mine are drained, so they would have to recharged (by the dealer I assume) which I doubt they'd do with a shock you bring in.

As far as aftermarket replacements go. You have two general options.

#1 Get spacers
  • Pro's: Cheapest Option
  • Con's:
    --You said you didn't want them.
    --You will still have to replace the leaking shock.
#2 Replace Your whole suspension
  • Con's: Expensive!!
  • Pro's:
    --Total control of what's under your vehicle.
    --Better performance all around.
    --Better lifetime, ie: you can rebuild/recharge more aftermarket shocks for life

You can take a look at my profile to see the stuff that I chose to do. I really like my setup and it performs really well for what I like to do. Every person wheels totally different and in different environments, so you have to figure out what your needs are. What kind of wheeling do you do? How often, what terrain, etc? Is this also a daily driver?

The OME setup all around is cheaper than what I chose, so it isn't totally necessary to throw down $2k for a total replacement. If you go the replacement route, you can tune your system for your needs. If you need to accommodate for heavy towing loads, then you should get heavier coils in the rear, or think about getting a good offroad airbag solution in the rear. Unfortunately there's no easy answer. So you will have to do some reading and talking to people.

Reply in here with some more specifics or PM me, and I'd be happy to offer more advice. R0cky would be another one to help out with the OME side of things as I think that's what she is running.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you have to charge the xreas shock with? If it is nitrogen, Protrux has a nitrogen tank and will charge the shock rather inexpensively. But you'd have to be near San Diego.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
What do you have to charge the xreas shock with? If it is nitrogen, Protrux has a nitrogen tank and will charge the shock rather inexpensively. But you'd have to be near San Diego.

No, it's not nitrogen. It is some liquid that run's through the system. It looked and smelled like brake fluid, but I'm not totally sure.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably that magnetic fluid like GM uses...
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM

Would the dealer warranty this item?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rivalred
Would the dealer warranty this item?
My guess is yes if his warranty is still in effect. Even if the warranty expired, I'd still complain about it to the dealers service manager. Let them know that you paid the extra $$ for Toyota reliability and the expectation that things like this would NOT happen. If he waffles, call the Toyota Nationa Customer Service number with the same song and dance. There is a good chance they'll do a courtesy repair if your mileage is not excessively beyond the warranty point.

I did this with my wifes Honda Odyssey. I had four items go south on me (both power doors, broken motor mount, transmission replacement!!) way before it should have. I went on the same rant, and they repaired all the items as a courtesy. And it was the right thing for them to do, IMO. I paid the big extra bucks for the Honda/Japanese reliability and to have stupid crap go out just after the 36,000 miles/3 yr. warranty expires is what I expect from an American car, not a Japanese car.

Last edited by DealMaker; 12-06-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

the dealer warrentied may shock at 35000 miles
Old 12-05-2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by DealMaker
I did this with my wifes Honda Odyssey. I had four items go south on me (both power doors, broken motor mount, transmission replacement!!) way before it should have.
Those are very common on Hondas lately P. I know that blown trannies are common on Odysseys and Pilots. I know a girl that had a tranny blow on her Accord (1 week old). One couple I know had their tranny replaced for free (Odyssey) w/ 80,000 miles on it.

Broken motor mounts are common on Hondas too, as is the door locks... usually not all so soon and at the same time tho!

I still think Hondas are great but def. not what they used to be...

Last edited by FirstToy; 12-05-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the advice! Here is where I am at right now.....First of all, no warranty, I have 48K miles. The dealer is looking into a fix, funny because they don't even know if just the one shock can be replaced or the entire system. If it turns out the one shock can be replaced for a reasonable amount (less than $200), I may have to do that just for money reasons. If it has to be a total system replacement, I will definitely get rid of the Xreas.
I have never been totally happy with this ride anyway. Yes it is nice driving it but it is too soft for me....I feel it bottom out a lot with loads.
I keep reading that there are cons with Old Man Emu and that some people are not all that happy with it. What are these cons? This system seems to fit my needs $$ wise and it is somewhat custom. I wish I could drop $2K into it but $500 is going to be a stretch for me.
Vehicle use:
This vehicle is a daily driver. The wheeling I do is in no way extreme! I am off-road a lot (almost every weekend) but only because the places I adventure require it. Mainly rough trails, logging roads, creeks, and fields. I tow often, a small boat and a pup camper (not at the same time). And I am usually loaded with gear and people on my trips.
Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HuntRunner
Thanks for the advice! Here is where I am at right now.....First of all, no warranty, I have 48K miles. The dealer is looking into a fix, funny because they don't even know if just the one shock can be replaced or the entire system. If it turns out the one shock can be replaced for a reasonable amount (less than $200), I may have to do that just for money reasons. If it has to be a total system replacement, I will definitely get rid of the Xreas.
I have never been totally happy with this ride anyway. Yes it is nice driving it but it is too soft for me....I feel it bottom out a lot with loads.
I keep reading that there are cons with Old Man Emu and that some people are not all that happy with it. What are these cons? This system seems to fit my needs $$ wise and it is somewhat custom. I wish I could drop $2K into it but $500 is going to be a stretch for me.
Vehicle use:
This vehicle is a daily driver. The wheeling I do is in no way extreme! I am off-road a lot (almost every weekend) but only because the places I adventure require it. Mainly rough trails, logging roads, creeks, and fields. I tow often, a small boat and a pup camper (not at the same time). And I am usually loaded with gear and people on my trips.
Thanks again!
I agree with dealmaker than you should call the National Service Center to complain and try to get them to fix it for free.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:51 AM

[Hijack] When ours went out ('bout 2.5 yrs. ago) they were acting like it was unusual. I had the foresight to Google "Honda Odyssey transmission" and got a Top Ten hit on a sight full of consumer complaints and quickly realized it was a big problem. That really helped me do battle with the dealer. Since then, prolly about 1.5 yrs. ago, Honda extended the warranty on all those tranny's to 100k miles. Ours is a '99 with about 60k miles and is maintained per the factory schedules.

What they do is simply replace the tranny with a remanufactured unit, though. AFAIK, they don't actually have a permanent fix for it. :pat: And the broken motor mount? How the F does one break a motor mount in a minivan, its not like the wife is jumping the thing. As you said, it is common though and with the Accord as well.

Now the latest thing is fuses shorting out or popping out of the fuse box at the drivers kick panel (note the name Kick Panel). This fuse box is apparently uncovered, and I guess is getting slightly kicked when the wife sets/releases the e-brake. It is beyond me why the box isn't better protected against such a thing. I'm curious if the 2nd gen Odyssey was designed and manufactured in the U.S.

[/Hijack]

HuntRunner, try Googling something like "XREAS shocks failure" or "XREAS leak". You may find something that will help you if the dealer waffles. Keep us posted on the dealer response. Also, if the dealer you purchased from doesn't have a good customer service reputation, find one in your area that does and bring the Runner there.

Originally Posted by FirstToy
Those are very common on Hondas lately P. I know that blown trannies are common on Odysseys and Pilots. I know a girl that had a tranny blow on her Accord (1 week old). One couple I know had their tranny replaced for free (Odyssey) w/ 80,000 miles on it.

Broken motor mounts are common on Hondas too, as is the door locks... usually not all so soon and at the same time tho!

I still think Hondas are great but def. not what they used to be...
Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 AM

Huntrunner, did you check your PM? A new xreas shock is like $60 new and I could replace it in an hour. Not a big deal.
but def get the dealer to do it for free- it should not fail or leak so soon.

Dealmaker,
Yeah those motor mounts must be made of tin. I always thought your style Odyssey was a cool minivan. I kinda want one! Would be a great van for cycling trips/races... if they are just putting in re-mans then that tranny will eventually chunk it again... going to be a big issue w/ resale and 2nd owner red flags...

Last edited by FirstToy; 12-06-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:02 AM

The dealership in my area is ok, I kind of know the guys there and they are trying to help me out on this. If this works than great!
Thanks for the offer to help....too bad I am not closer to any of you (Arkansas). The more I read up on this xreas system, the more it scares me. It seems like Murphy will be around every corner. I certainly don't want this to be the beginning of many failures with this.
In some ways I think I am wanting to go ahead and replace this system and I am just looking for an excuse. Any thoughts on the OME?