Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Ifs Sucks Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Official Ifs Sucks Thread

Mods, please make this a sticky.

It seems that One cannot discuss building an IFS rig without soemone chiming in that it is dumb and they should do an SAS.

I feel that this thread would be a good place for these members to let thier true emotions out about IFS, Long Travel IFS, CV's, and everything else that sucks. That way, there will be some actual tech threads hopefully void of negative remarks. This will be the place to discuss the pros and cons.

If this goes well, we can have a "SAS is cliche" thread.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
Mods, please make this a sticky.

It seems that One cannot discuss building an IFS rig without soemone chiming in that it is dumb and they should do an SAS.

I feel that this thread would be a good place for these members to let thier true emotions out about IFS, Long Travel IFS, CV's, and everything else that sucks. That way, there will be some actual tech threads hopefully void of negative remarks. This will be the place to discuss the pros and cons.

If this goes well, we can have a "SAS is cliche" thread.
Your signature is correct you IFS lover. There is a whole section devoted to SAS's why isn't there one devoted to IFS suckyness? A wise man once said, "Upgrading IFS is like pissing your pants. It may seem like a good idea, but you can only realize how much it sucks once you have done it." Why blow a few grand on IFS when you can blow a few grand on a SAS and claim it was cheaper? Questions that will never be answred. I heard if you say something positive about IFS 3 times in a 5 minute span, you will be plagued with broken CV's for 7 years. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Having experienced EVERY(yes,even the bent frame from unreinforced control arms) negative effect of the WEAK ASS TOYOTA IFS on my 88 pickup, my opinion is rather "weighted". I would like a refund of the cost of the repairs I have made to it. I would settle for a chance to knock the S.O.B. who designed the things block off. I mean COME ON.

WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-13-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 AM
Contributing Member

I broke a CV and inner tie-rod at the same time the other day... I'm in!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 AM

Wow...bitter much?

Anyone with half a brain realizes that you build what most suits your needs. I do all slow speed rock crawling, thus IFS does suck for me, but I won't even try to pretend that I could keep up with the deathrunner in the desert. This thread is weak.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

Death is just mad that he spent all that money on his front end, and still only has 1 locker

For most IFS will work...hell it worked good for about 4 years for me. You get used to the wheelstands and tippyness over time.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i beat on my IFS all the time no problems so far SAS sucks for high speed stuff
Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Y'all are a bunch of winers just enjoy whacha got if yer not happy w/ it beef it up to yer likings.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:56 AM

hahaha

I just would like to be able to ask and answer questions without being told how idiotic it is. I think it is clear that we don't all do the same thing.

I know what my truck can do. I'm not going to take it where it can't go. Every truck has limitations. Not everyone wants to be a rock crawler.

I was waiting to lock the front of mine, in case I eventually wanted to do a swap. Bottom line, I don't need a solid axle, it would make my rig taller than I care for, and as far as I can tell, it will cost as much as my LT build.

This thread is here so we can be explained how much IFS sucks. I get it, and I think most of us do. It sucks....ok. But, some of us choose to do sucky stuff.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:01 AM

Dont tell that to this man...some of you might recognize the truck.

Upper 2 @ Tellico aka Bobsled Run.

Last edited by StretchASU; 06-13-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

I can go anywhere I "want" to go with my IFS while retaining the sheet metal and glass. To go any farther I would have to accept considerable body damage, which I am not willing to do.

Another point that should be made is that there is a considerable difference between torsen bar IFS (1st and 2nd gen), the early coil-over IFS (3rd gen) and the late model coil-over IFS (4th gen). Toyota has made it progressively stronger over the years.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yota82
Your signature is correct you IFS lover. There is a whole section devoted to SAS's why isn't there one devoted to IFS suckyness? A wise man once said, "Upgrading IFS is like pissing your pants. It may seem like a good idea, but you can only realize how much it sucks once you have done it." Why blow a few grand on IFS when you can blow a few grand on a SAS and claim it was cheaper? Questions that will never be answred. I heard if you say something positive about IFS 3 times in a 5 minute span, you will be plagued with broken CV's for 7 years. Can anyone confirm this?
Yesss!! More personal attacks!!!

Lovin this Drama!!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 AM

why does every one think we all need solid axles for rock crawling that stuff sucks to jump with some of us live where there are no rocks not even pebbles. so LT ifs is great for me, to go fast and jump
Old 06-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by StretchASU

Of course he did blow a CV on that trail....

But he did Slickrock, lower2 and then started that trail. not to mention the weekend before he did Guardrail, helicopter pad and schoolbus on the same CVs. They are a wear item and need to be changed after a couple of hard runs.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 AM

i have ifs (see avatar) hi!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by seaflea
Of course he did blow a CV on that trail....

But he did Slickrock, lower2 and then started that trail. not to mention the weekend before he did Guardrail, helicopter pad and schoolbus on the same CVs. They are a wear item and need to be changed after a couple of hard runs.
^ True story. I was there the previous weekend when he ran.
Driven to the trail, wheeled, driven home, and repeated that the next weekend.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

^ True story. I was there the previous weekend when he ran.
Driven to the trail, wheeled, driven home, and repeated that the next weekend.
And Bud is a VERY good driver. He only uses enough skinny pedal to get the job done. I wheeled with him all weekend last weekend and learned a LOT!

He mentioned lower 2 the day we were doing slickrock, so I called him on it and we ran it Saturday. Afterr, I went back to camp and he went on to run upper 2. he blew the CV and had some body damage. but he still drove the rig home. : )
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Yeah, I was at PAP a couple years ago when he blew out TWO CV's.

Noone said you CAN'T do any rockcrawling with IFS, SAS is just better for it, noone can deny that.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Yeah, I was at PAP a couple years ago when he blew out TWO CV's.

Noone said you CAN'T do any rockcrawling with IFS, SAS is just better for it, noone can deny that.
Exactly...you can break birfields in the SA's. I like the challenge of wheeling my 3rd gen but the ability to not give a ☺☺☺☺ about my 1st gen lol.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:18 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I can go anywhere I "want" to go with my IFS while retaining the sheet metal and glass. To go any farther I would have to accept considerable body damage, which I am not willing to do.
Great post - and why I started the other thread that initiated this one ... I came to the conclusion that IFS will take my truck wherever I want to go with glass and body panels, and if I wanted to spend money to run those trails I would need an SAS on, it would be better spent on a buggy.

Maybe that's what the SAS guys are so bitter about ... they spent all this money on a rig to do hard trails, and it doesn't do them as well as a buggy and doesn't drive on the road as well as it did before the swap ... LOL

Quick Reply: The Official Ifs Sucks Thread