Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input on front lift.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need input on front lift.

Ok heres the deal, after years of running the crap out of my 87 4runner its about time to put money in it, first thing I want to do is clear my 35's alot better I clear them alright unless im flexing then i rub a bit in the front, all I've done as far as lift is a add a leaf in the rear to get rid of the spring sag and a 3" body lift, I removed some parts and did a bit of hammering to avoiding rubbing.

So now I need input on the best way to lift the IFS 4" without breaking the bank, I have the rear figured out but can't make my mind up on the front. I was going to go solid axle in the front but at this time its to much work and money then I can put into it (I just moved into a new place with no garage) I know if i searched around anough on here I could find my answer but I work 50 hours a week and am a, for the most part, single parent (wife is in the army) so she is not around alot, so I can not be spending alot of time searching and reading for my answer. Any help or input would be awesome, I am open to all options but im trying to keep this build around 1600.00-2000.00, but with that price I want to rebuild or buy a new motor for it too (mines got a good knock to it, not sure if i can rebuild it again).

Anyways the specs for the the truck as it sits is a 87 4runner 22re 5 speed, it has yukon 529 gears open front and rear, 35x13.50 toyo mt on 15x10 4" offset weld rims, chrome moly axles in the rear, skyjacker hydro shocks (fronts are blown) headman header with a flowmaster 1 in 2 out with a cap on one of the outs, excel ignition coil and cold air intake, theres other stuff but thats the jist of it.

Last edited by chronoboy; 06-24-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM

I tried attaching pics of my truck but it didnt seem to work, I also forgot to add that this truck is not a daily driver, just a toy, so ride comfort is not a issue for me.

Last edited by chronoboy; 06-24-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are dead set on lifting the IFS, I would just look around for a used bracket lift.

For the pics, get a photobucket account and copy and paste the code.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...trucks-124467/

everything u need to know
Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 PM

thanks for the input, I still have hopes of straight axleing it in the back of my head and still not a hundred percent sure if I am not going that way yet, if I could do it for around 600$ I would be game, but one issue is I've only welded few times and not anough to trust my front end with my skills (lack of) so next step is finding somebody to do it for me cheap, plus I dont have a torch so I would have to grind everything off, but I'm game if i could get input on how to do it cheap in my gravel driveway.

And thanks for the link, I'll read up on that later on and check out my options, and I'll get a photobucket account so you can see my battle bruised 4runner.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
check out rattlewagon's build thread. hes running 35's on ifs thru some tough terrain. sas average cost is $$2k-5k.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just pulled out my 4'' ifs lift 250 if you want it
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 PM

$2,000-5,000 for a shop to do it and have it all rebuilt and geared down. If you have the skills or friends that can weld and cut buy a used axle, and used leafs and do it yourself. It's that labor that gets outrageous. Yes, for a shop to do it that's the going price. After that you can do Chevy leafs in the rear but they tend to ride rough but then again I'll daily, it's not too bad.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Alright so after days of researching in my free time I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to do BJ spacers in front 3" (if anybody has a good place to purchase these that would be great) then I'm going with the zuk mod in rear (just ordered front TJ springs for it "used" saves me the time to break them in) a new set of skyjacker shocks 3"-5", I'm going to rebuild this motor...... hopefully 40 over will take the slight divit out of the 3rd piston wall where the piston was slapping the side. If I can get it bored out then im going with a engbldr kit (I'm a oregonian so have to go with a oregon company) just cant make up my mind on the cam to choose with the kit (crawler or torqer) any input would be great on that. then to my next task of rebuilding the head something I have never done before so not sure if I'm going to take it down to new orleans and have it done by a shop I found down there or trust a backwoods mechanic around here or try it myself. Then all that is left to buy is a new clutch last time I had mine off it was looking like it didnt have much life left on it (thats what I get for side stepping through every gear in the dunes with heavy tires and 529 gears) I'm also going to need new calipers, I rebuilt mine 2 years ago but the pistons where a bit rusted so I think I am sucking up air (had break problems the whole time i have owned this truck).

Anyways if anybody can think of anything else I will need to complete this project let me know, keep in mind this is a over-time project since I dont have alot of free time, thinking I can have it done in 2 months as long as everything works out right, but thats because I'm rebuilding the motor myself, the lift will only take me a weekend,so if any of your ideas will take time dont be affraid to shoot them at me since its going to take me a bit anyways to complete this.