Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Travel 1st Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can I find specs for the different packs????

All I know is it is a 62" set made for tundras to be run over axle.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just looked at Kartek

Its toward the bottom of the screen. It also says it on the pack itself
Old 08-13-2005, 09:01 AM

I must have the G57 pack, I'll double check next time I am out at the shop.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

We have flex pics. The rear tire was almost off the ground. If I pulled up on the bumper a little, the tire would come off the ground.

Name:  804177ac.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  66.4 KB
Name:  b40168af.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  66.7 KB
Name:  a6232ef6.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  79.6 KB
Name:  62503679.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  77.3 KB
Name:  bc1cfcba.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  54.5 KB
Old 08-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I just got finished tubbing my 1st gen rear fenders...there will be some pics on my buildup thread...there are a few on my website homepage of the initial tubbing. Gotta lay down the seam sealer, paint and undercoating tomorrow.

Nice thread going on here....

Old 08-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

I would do that if it didnt make the track so much wider, i want the front and back to be the same width....would wheel spacers on the back do it justice. also, how'd u rig up the bikini top/what kind is it?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Who are you talking to bob?
Old 08-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

The bikini top was purchased through a member here, 4x4jedi. It uses a FJ40 bikini top. I dont know if he is going to be making any more soon, but here is thread.

Bikini Top
Old 08-21-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by bob200587
I would do that if it didnt make the track so much wider, i want the front and back to be the same width....would wheel spacers on the back do it justice. also, how'd u rig up the bikini top/what kind is it?
Not sure what top Pinnacle has, but downey sell one.www.downeyoff-road.com

The track width widining is a veru=y very good thing. It adds stability for off camber and cornering, and having longer arms gives you a softer ride and more flex. They widen the track by 3.25" each side. I put 1.5" wheel spacers in back and it is tolerable for me. You could get more offset rims in addition to a 2" wheel spacer and be closer if you really care. Or run a T-100 axle, actually that would be the best thing.

Chevy trucks have a wider front width when stock, so it really isn't all that bad.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I just got finished tubbing my 1st gen rear fenders...there will be some pics on my buildup thread...there are a few on my website homepage of the initial tubbing. Gotta lay down the seam sealer, paint and undercoating tomorrow.

Nice thread going on here....

I'm excited to see what you've done, post some pics!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:16 AM

Pinnacle- AWESOME!!!! Your truck looks sweet.

I'm a whore for flex shots. Where were those taken?

You need to find a spot with two humps and get diagonal across it to get maximum flex from your front.

It is really hard to fully compress a front arm in flex. You almost have to have the front really loaded, like flexing downhill.

Softer springs/bars would help and less cranking. BUt I know you and I plan on doing some quick stuff too, so we need a somewhat stiff front end. I am going to try to find a happy medium.

It's so hard to just give up on the quick stuff with a setup like these, but I think if someone built one of these just for trail and used softer springs they would see that these can flex very pretty well. I'm tempted to run lighter tbars, but I know I will be smacking my bumpstops on the quick stuff. I'm gonna try to keep my arms right in the middle of the bumpstops or maybe just a touch cranked.

The static ground clearance of IFS is really nice, but I think I appreciate the flex more, so I'm still owrking on it.

I've always been impressed with this guy(on the right), he's running the chaos arms with tbars nd getting that kind of flex, plus he does quickstuff. Something for me to shoot for.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Those were taken in Hungry Valley yesterday. I probably could have went up a bit more, but the rear tire was just about off the ground. I'm trying to find that medium also, Its easier for me to fine tune it with spring rates. But it handles really well in the fast stuff. Except for the rear, but I will be workin on that soon enough.

I dont think he is running t-bars anymore.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by pinnacle
Those were taken in Hungry Valley yesterday. I probably could have went up a bit more, but the rear tire was just about off the ground. I'm trying to find that medium also, Its easier for me to fine tune it with spring rates. But it handles really well in the fast stuff. Except for the rear, but I will be workin on that soon enough.

I dont think he is running t-bars anymore.
Yeah, I noticed he isn't running tbars anymore, but he was in the pic I previoulsy posted. Kinda wierd how he actually flexed better with the tbars. I think coils are great, but I think that just goes to show that coils aren't the answer for everything, either way it has to be tuned just right.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 PM

That guy from chaos is my neighbor. Mikes running a generation II caddy kit with king coilovers and triple bypass shocks on the front end. Running 14 double bypasses in the rear I believe, sitting on chevy custom leaf pack. Also has air bumps now, along with 100's of other upgrades. He's got a lot of custom work into that truck, and it rides great. You haven't lived until you hit a levee at 80 and fly for a 100 feet....its unreal.

If you want better flex you could try running the stock torsion bars with the balljoint kit. Should work out pretty well....my brother has the chaos kit on his 92 v6 and we still 4 wheel a lot in the sierras. He gets great flex out of the truck.

Last edited by sacramentoprerunners; 08-24-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sacramentoprerunners
That guy from chaos is my neighbor. Mikes running a generation II caddy kit with king coilovers and dual bypass shocks on the front end. Running 14 double bypasses in the rear I believe, sitting on chevy custom leaf pack. Also has air bumps now, along with 100's of other upgrades. He's got a lot of custom work into that truck, and it rides great. You haven't lived until you hit a levee at 80 and fly for a 100 feet....its unreal.

If you want better flex you could try running the stock torsion bars with the balljoint kit. Should work out pretty well....my brother has the chaos hit on his 92 v6 and we still 4 wheel a lot in the sierras. He gets great flex out of the truck.
AWESOME!

Hey if you don't mind asking mike for me.....ask him what torsion bars he used to run before he switched to coil-over. If he was running stock bars (or lighter bars) ask him if he had problems hitting the bumpstops in fast situations. I'm looking to improve my flex, but I don't want to be bottoming out all the time in the whoops.

There are so few people running these setups, information is few and far between. I appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 04:23 PM

Here's another one.

LINK to Off-Road Magazine installation article.
LINK to Four Wheeler Magazine installation article.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:55 PM

Jesse- I take it you guys swapped out the old caddy kit and put in the new gen II kit.

Wierd how you showed the stock upper arms in the removal process, but I know that was to describve install form a stock application.

Anyway, if you did take off the old stuff......What torsion bars was he running?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 08:17 AM

Torsion bars

Yea I recognize all those pics of the install....he did it in his driveway real quick just for the magazine. Anyways I'm pretty sure he was running 25 mm swayaway torsion bars when he had his balljoint kit. When he switched to uniballs he added the coilovers and tore out the torsions. I'll ask him tonight and post up if I remember to...
Old 08-24-2005, 03:51 PM

Thanks man, I am just curious how he got such good flex with the 25mm tbars and that much crank.

You can see that before with the tbars he had the wheel fully stuffed on one side up on the rock definitely hitting the bumpstops.

Now with the coils, perched on a bigger rock, he is still about 1.5-2" from his bumpstop..... That's no good for me. See how much the truck tilts now?
For what I do, his old setup would work better for me and I'd like to be able to recreate that.

Last edited by deathrunner; 08-24-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 AM

OK well I went over after work and had a few beers with him and helped him prep his race truck. I brought up that picture and his old setup and he laughed about that picture. He was running the replacement swayaway torsion bars (not the 300's). The reason he got such good flex out of that is because on the driver side, the torsion bar's bolt had just broken. This gave him the extra flex in the picture. I would imagine it looking more like the second pic with that bar working properly.

Quick Reply: Long Travel 1st Gen.