Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First build! please help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First build! please help...

89 blackbetty build

questions regarding build (1989 pickup single cab short bed 4x4, background on truck below) SAS in progress with all pro 5 inch kit. Want to get rig on trail asap. problem is drivetrain is pricey so im looking for quick and easy now! and will fix(stock parts) has they break

1) want to run 37 inch tires. possible to run with stock gears? (frnt axle from 83 pick up)
2)If possible, what would be better for the power loss, dual transfer cases(have extra transfer case,83 top shift, both stock gears) or getting gears front and rear? which is cheaper?
3)and a good link to rebuild a knuckle would be some great help.
4) and thread links to similar builds would be awesome

hello name is Alex, i have been a victim of horse brutality!! thats right you heard me. A horse beat me and my truck up! My first 4x4 truck, 1989 red toyota pick up single cab short bed! She was my baby, my daily driver and weekend warrior. Had her running perfect with 130k miles brand new 31 inch tires. And was driving back home, kind of late 11 pm from moms house when i seen a ton of lights, police lights, DPS, ADOT(arizona dept of transportation). figured there was a huge accident. umm no cars?? guess no accident, so accelerated back up to the speed limit ,65. When all the sudden a horse!! jumped out and hit me. no JOKE here, the horse jumped out and HIT ME! scared the everliving out of me!! when i stopped and jumped out of my truck a police thought it would be nice to pull up and yell at me for not slowing down 200 yards after the first accident and hitting the OTHER horse that got out! the accident was unavoidable, you can see on the pics there was no front end damage, all was on the side.
So thats the background on my rig and the reason for this thread.thought id share with ya why my rig, is where it is today. I live in arizona and love rock crawling. i had a lot of plans for my truck when i was driving it daily. now that it has been destroyed by the horse, i took this has a challenge. So first things first! ordered the SAS kit from all pro, 5 incher! and grabbed an axle and transfer case from a 83 pickup. Dropped the IFS and ran into a problem. The drivetrain, its expensive! but well worth it. So here is my dilema, i want to run big tires 37's(there some big rocks out there that need conquering). I was planning on saving up the money to put bigger R&P gears in, untill i read on some ones thread that he was running 39.5" super swampers for 3 years on stock gears. dont remember the year of the truck or the thread. I dont plan on highway use with this truck, so what would be ideal R&P gears or get the gears for my other transfer case and get the adapter? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . O Ya here are those pictures of the body damage done by the horse!
this is link to album http://picasaweb.google.com/budahphaze/89ToyotaPickup#
Old 11-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

1. you nor the truck will be happy with stock gearing
2. Re-gear front and rear
3. Search
4. Search S.A.S

Just remember you get what you pay for... cheap and easy are not always safe and reliable
Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 PM

1. you nor the truck will be happy with stock gearing
2. Re-gear front and rear
3. Search
4. Search S.A.S

Just remember you get what you pay for... cheap and easy are not always safe and reliable

ok maybe i need to be a little more clear.
1)is it POSSIBLE to run stock gears with 37(happy or sad)? Who has done it? and what did it perform like?
2) lets say i do run 37 on stock gears. what would be a BETTER upgrade. r&p gears(spooling the rear and arb in front) or get my dual transfer case geared and adapted? im looking for the crawl. and i know marlins dual transfer case is the way to go. but will r&p gears mess things up? o ya this is a trailer queen by the way so she wont see any asphault.
3) i did search(didnt find anything i liked, maybe someone has a better sight, obviously you dont)
4)and there are 5 million threads on SAS swaps. done searched threw what i thought might be good info. found alot! thanks guys! but just maybe i missed one that is awesome! seen one gilby?

And who said anything about CHEAP parts. I just asked what is cheaper. huge difference.