Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Intake

Hey guys, my father has a 99 tacoma V6 SR5. I was just wondering what you all had to say about cold air intakes, which is the best, and where can i get a good buy on one. I am looking for a good christmas gift for him. I'm not really a toyota truck guy but he is. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2000 4Runner V6, close to the same setup. I first but in a K&N filter, definite improvement. Then I removed the air intake that is in the fender before the air filter box including the small restrictive elbow. I also drilled a 3" hole below the existing one in the air box, more improvement. Then I replaced the intake "muffler" and tubing with an "Airaid, Modular Intake Tube (M.I.T.)". I lost low end grunt and it was very loud under full acceleration. Long uphills in Colorado would drive you out with the throaty noise. I have taken the MIT off because I had no improvements, lost low end torque, noise and had no fuel savings. I saw improvements in power and fuel mileage with the filter, removing the intake tubes and drilling the 3" hole. I get 20-21 MPG consistantly even hulling up the mountains with a load. 19 MPH trailering in the mountains.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An MIT will improve throttle response, not gain you HP or save you fuel...

fstdraw, check the tech section for background info on the "ISR mod" and the "Deckplate mod".

Cold air wise... The K&N kits are fine, but a K&N filter is NOT recommended for off-road use. You'll (well, you're dad will ) pick up about 7-10hp by getting more air into the engine. That's the basic premise behind the K&N (or similar) setups. The K&N won't reduce the intake temps by a whole lot - though it will help. The problem is that the engine compartment in our trucks gets pretty dern warm and there's a lot of swirling air around. So, the K&N "box" will keep things cooler for a bit, but eventually the air in the box will warm up and you'll be back to "stock".

To do a _real_ cold-air intake requires a bit of fab work. A couple of guys have done the plumbing to create an intake just below the headlights. That'll give you a real nice _consistent_ reduction in intake temps, but it's a bit of custom work to make it happen.

fwiw, you could get the same power increase that a K&N system will give you for a LOT less money by doing the "deckplate mod" and replacing the stock air filter with an Amsoil. The downside is that it won't _look_ as trick as the K&N setup.

Good lucK!
Old 12-17-2005, 02:01 PM

Thank you

thanks for all the input guys. You saved me a bunch of money.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Cold air wise... The K&N kits are fine, but a K&N filter is NOT recommended for off-road use. You'll (well, you're dad will ) pick up about 7-10hp by getting more air into the engine. That's the basic premise behind the K&N (or similar) setups. The K&N won't reduce the intake temps by a whole lot - though it will help. The problem is that the engine compartment in our trucks gets pretty dern warm and there's a lot of swirling air around. So, the K&N "box" will keep things cooler for a bit, but eventually the air in the box will warm up and you'll be back to "stock".

Good lucK!
What is considered not a big temp drop? I have the K&N FIPK and I've tested the temps in the shielded area from the temps in the motor and after running for over an hour on the freeway, there's a 20 degree difference between the two.

I've checked this a couple of times w/ different run times on the motor and it seems to consistently be a 20 degree difference. Is this a lot? Just wondering.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

I've done the deckplate and Airiad MIT and I love the way it is right now...nice sound at WOT and better throttle response.

I wouldn't do the K&N, the concensus on here is that they really aren't worth the money; you can gain the same amount of performance gain out of the deckplate/ISR/Airaid MIT.

Fink