Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balljoint Spacer Install/Impressions/Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Balljoint Spacer Install/Impressions/Etc.

Apologies if this is redundant for the week I was away.

My rig is a 95 4-Runner, Sway-Away torsion bars, cruiser coils in the rear. The bars were set to 16" rim to fender before the spacers, but that includes a 1" bodylift.

Install:
If you live in the rust belt, hit the studs with a penetrant. Mine were a bear. Get a good punch and a solid hammer. I got to be good friends with my 3 pound baby sledge. Break loose the nuts on opposite studs and whack them out. Then thread 1/4" diameter or slightly thicker bolts through and cinch them down so the BJ does not wander around while beating them out. I flogged them like a 13 year old with his first Playboy. Then I tried to drill them and the last little bit of the bolt cost me 3 bits.

I found a 2x4 under the extension stops gave the right angle to get a grinder in to remove the material. Use a grinder, trying with a Dremel would make me cry. I undid the BJ, dropped the spindle until it was clear of the upper arm and then jockeyed it back so the CV was not over extended. You need a good amount of room to get the grinder in there. More material needs to be removed at the rear part of the arm, or that was my impression.

Impressions:
I set the bars to 16" rim to fender which meant the bars had no exposed thread on the adjusters. Right now I am looking for new shocks because the stock length Bilsteins are spaced down about 1.5" It is aligned within spec and tracks straight. Lots softer than before, but still no real need for a swaybar. With the low profile extension stops shimmed .5" I gained 1" of extension versus the previous set-up.

No pics now, maybe some ride height ones later. Oh well.

In the end, Frank has solved a good problem and it works exactly as it should. The front end can actually travel now, perhaps stock bars would make it softer still.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whered you get these spacers?
Old 03-21-2004, 06:19 PM

PM elripster.

OR check out his site
Old 03-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I flogged them like a 13 year old with his first Playboy.
That's great stuff.

Did you measure travel before and after?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Yeah, I got them from SDORS, elripster on the board, Frank when you give him money.

Compression is not quantified at this point, all I know is when I jump my fat butt on the front end, it moves. I can actually bottom the compression now, it has been years since I have done that. I have some video of the summer where my rears are lifting and my front is so stiff it is still a solid inch from the bumpstops.

Extension gained an inch, could be more, but I shimmed the bumpstop as recomended.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I got them from SDORS, elripster on the board, Frank when you give him money.

Compression is not quantified at this point, all I know is when I jump my fat butt on the front end, it moves. I can actually bottom the compression now, it has been years since I have done that. I have some video of the summer where my rears are lifting and my front is so stiff it is still a solid inch from the bumpstops.

Extension gained an inch, could be more, but I shimmed the bumpstop as recomended.
sombody should get a group buy together on these!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...all I know is when I jump my fat butt on the front end, it moves. I can actually bottom the compression now, it has been years since I have done that.
Um...maybe it's not the suspension that changed, maybe it's you...

sombody should get a group buy together on these!
Well, it's not like this is some big, established company, it's one guy in san diego who decided to take the ball and run with it.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:06 PM

Sadly I have gotten a little rotund after this winter. Not a lot of snow to get outside with, lots of good food at home for a month at Christmas rather than cooking for myself at school.

Because of cost, I think I am just going to bite the bullet on air shocks and see what I can do. Not so much for the ride height since my adjustors are maxed, but for the linking. Not to mention, Monroe has shock lengths available when I go to the parts store while Bilstein and others will take a lot more messing around.

This is not group buyable AFAIK. There are batches, I think he still has some. I also think that he has them priced as low as they can go, he made them to help other wheelers, not get rich.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:43 PM

sorry I'm a little late, basically the spacers will lower my ball joints to keep them from wearing so much with the tbars raised, right?
Old 04-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

I recieved my spacers today. Top quality stuff. Gonna waait to put them in until i get some coil spacers for the back. Should be able to stuff 33's under there then.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:50 PM

mine should be here soon. just bought new BJs,TREs,idler and pitman arm. can't wait to all this stuff on!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:41 PM

Sadly I have gotten a little rotund after this winter. Not a lot of snow to get outside with, lots of good food at home for a month at Christmas rather than cooking for myself at school.

Because of cost, I think I am just going to bite the bullet on air shocks and see what I can do. Not so much for the ride height since my adjustors are maxed, but for the linking. Not to mention, Monroe has shock lengths available when I go to the parts store while Bilstein and others will take a lot more messing around.

This is not group buyable AFAIK. There are batches, I think he still has some. I also think that he has them priced as low as they can go, he made them to help other wheelers, not get rich.
You guys should have mentioned the group buy, I just put an order in for more. My bad though for not checking the board.

I can't get the price a lot lower but I can work it some. I would just have to order a lot more than I have cash to do. If you guys are interested let me know and I'll see what I can do. The parts won't be ready for another 3 weeks so there is time to ammend the order. One good thing about something like this is we are becoming the "real deal" (LLC and all) and will have to charge sales tax. A group by will most likely offest the sales tax while still lowering the current price some.

I'm now a 2 guy operation. I've teamed up with a fellow wheeling buddy and engineer who has a lot more business experience and deeper pockets than myself. When school is out early May, we're going to design some more products. I'd do it now but I have this nearly impossible "Mars" rover to design along with 3 other friends in less than a month for one of our classes. I'm a little busy.

Frank
Old 04-09-2004, 07:03 AM

Sounds like good news Frank, congratulations on the possible progress.

As an update for what I am doing with mine, I have two new Rancho 5167's sitting in the garage at home, so when I go back for Easter they are going in. They are longer in both extension and compression and should not need the spacers that I have ghettoed in at the moment.

I chose not to do air shocks because I have already lowered my t-bars as much as I could so the only possible gain would be the crosslinking and I am not sure how great that would be versus cost and goofing around to get it to work.

The shocks I got are stock for the front of a Samurai if that helps people looking for a shock other than this Rancho one.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:41 AM

Sounds like good news Frank, congratulations on the possible progress.

As an update for what I am doing with mine, I have two new Rancho 5167's sitting in the garage at home, so when I go back for Easter they are going in. They are longer in both extension and compression and should not need the spacers that I have ghettoed in at the moment.

I chose not to do air shocks because I have already lowered my t-bars as much as I could so the only possible gain would be the crosslinking and I am not sure how great that would be versus cost and goofing around to get it to work.

The shocks I got are stock for the front of a Samurai if that helps people looking for a shock other than this Rancho one.
One of the things on my list is to spec a longer bolt for the tbars for those that might need it. I have air shocks but can't run 'em at more than 100psi. I used to run them at 150. I'm not far away from being able to do 150, maybe another 10mm of thread on the T-bar bolts and I'd be good.

Frank
Old 04-09-2004, 08:19 AM

well i'd be interested in a group buy!
Old 04-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

i am assuming these will work with a 4inch lift a la procomp.?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:43 PM

I've been eyeing these for awhile now and am wondering if there have been any negative reviews/results?? i know there was a huge thread on some other board but i can't seem to find it if someone could post that link. Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 07:15 PM

when it quits snowing i'll get mine on. i hope it gives me the results i'm thinking it will. these things are Nice though!!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:20 AM

I might be getting a TC kit for $1500 including shocks, but if that falls through, I'm getting these to tide me over until I can pay full price ($2800).
Old 04-12-2004, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by doink
i am assuming these will work with a 4inch lift a la procomp.?

Yep. I have them on my Trailmaster which basically the same lift.

Frank

Quick Reply: Balljoint Spacer Install/Impressions/Etc.