Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB Compressor mounting option

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Compressor mounting option

I re-mounted my ARB compressor over the weekend. I came up with a way i havent seen anyone else do.

Here are the pics:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...64641230movrRT
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...64641249amEyyh

I mounted the compressor using the top two bolts only. I had to bend the top of the mounting plate slightly so it would sit flat on the firewall (there is a "lip" or something on the firewall that i bent the plate over). I drilled the pilot holes and then drilled screws into the firewall. Its real tight, i shook it with my hands and the firewall moved before the compressor moved. If you notice in the pics the airline is not attached, i need to get more airline to extend it. The noise is louder since its mounted right on the firewall, thats the only drawback ive noticed.

I wanted to post this to pose this as an option for your compressor mounting, thanks for looking.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Your air line is going to be right above your exhaust manifold. Use something heat resistant, not just regular compressor hose or I predict you will be replacing it on a regular basis.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

or i can wrap it in that exhaust pipe wrap stuff right? i can imagine it would be difficult to find 5mm air line that is high temp rated.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Insulating it might work. You may need to experiment a bit to find a combination that gives you a suitable lifespan. I think that if i were doing it, I would run a high temp, stainless line off the compressor to a distribution block in a cooler spot, just to be sure.

It's hard to judge the clearances from the photo, but it looks awful close from here. The locker line is going to be close, but if that's a chuck I see in there, your tire filling line is going to be REALLY close.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WATRD
Insulating it might work. You may need to experiment a bit to find a combination that gives you a suitable lifespan. I think that if i were doing it, I would run a high temp, stainless line off the compressor to a distribution block in a cooler spot, just to be sure.

It's hard to judge the clearances from the photo, but it looks awful close from here. The locker line is going to be close, but if that's a chuck I see in there, your tire filling line is going to be REALLY close.
You could run a 90 deg elbow fitting for your tire filling chuck so it at least wouldn't point down. I found some high-temp teflon/stainless air line for about $2 a foot locally here, but I don't know about adapting it to those darn 5mm metric compression fittings.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wrapped my airline with wire loom and so far it's been holding up in the climate of Florida.

George