Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Align drop bracket tabs with OEM upper tabs using a Straight Edge

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Align drop bracket tabs with OEM upper tabs using a Straight Edge

Hello all,

Just going to state first, this forum is amazing and I am very grateful for this immense source of knowledge and information considering toyota trucks and utes. Since I first stumbled across yotatech googling issues I have had with my toyota vehicles, it has been the very first place I look for answers, and 99% of the time I find what I'm looking for.

That being said, I am a "newb" (first post!) to yotatech (posting and taking part - not searching/using), so please be patient if this is in the wrong section (I'm building my truck as a daily driver/occasional light trail rig, not an offroad buggy) or something. Thanks for your time and hopefully someone can help me with my first posted issue!

First some history. My rig is a 1986 single cab long box 4x4. 65,000 km on the clock, mint frame, mint cab (other than bit of surface rust and dated paint - original - very hard to find in the Maritimes in Canada!), rotten box, 22R, 5-speed, completely stock when purchased (Sept. 2012). Drove the truck for 8 months as is, and parked it for some overhaul (box, complete suspension, interior, brakes, fluids, tune up). In the midst of tearing the suspension apart and replacing all bushings with poly, I picked up a brand new 4" Procomp Stage I IFS lift for cheap. I researched to death lift kits and IFS vs. SAS, Drop brackets vs. BJ spacers, blocks vs. lift springs, etc, etc, etc, and have a good handle on the positives and negatives of each and do not really care, as this is going to be my daily driver indefinitely.

I have the instructions with the kit and everything seems quite straightforward. I have my LCA/crossmember drop brackets bolted to the OEM brackets (not torqued) and the front crossmember hand tightened to the drop brackets. The next step in the instructions is to "line up bottom bracket tabs with upper OEM tabs using a straight edge and torque the bracket bolts (100 ft.lbs)". I have been looking it over, and holding up as straight an edge as I can find, but can't really figure out how to use a straight edge to acheive this alignment? There must be some sort of blockage in the way I'm looking at it because I have searched very thoroughly through threads concerning IFS bracket lifts, build threads, and even other forums, and can not find where anyone has mentioned having trouble with this.

If anyone that has installed this lift could chime in and give me a hint how to look at this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for pictures of what my truck looked like before I tore it all apart, this is the only one I could find!
Attached Thumbnails Align drop bracket tabs with OEM upper tabs using a Straight Edge-toyota1-.jpg