Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 pickup with coilovers

Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 pickup with coilovers

obviously not as use full as sfa but i am thinking about trying to coil over the front end of my 88 pickup. thinking about it, it seems like it wouldn't be very complex. if i added a bracket to the rear of the lower arm and a small hoop off the frame i could remove the t bar and use a nicer/smoother coil over. simple and effective. any input?

Last edited by bttrs; 01-19-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont know if theres enough room in there for a coilover without a long travel kit. Heres my 88 4runner build where I added coilovers to my long travel, you might get a few ideas; https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...72/index3.html

Last edited by crazytoyota4x4; 01-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
personally i wouldn't do it for a few reasons.
Look at how the arms are designed and how they hold, articulate, and perform with the weight of the vehicle. The upper arm is based off of a torsion bar system. The torsion suspends the weight of the vehicle via the upper arm. Your suspension arms are not designed to hold and perform with that kind of stress. I've seen a few designs over the years and within a certain scope could they function? yes, but reliably? no and you do not want it to fail if you drive this vehicle on the road. Unless you plan on bracing the crap out of your a-arms and possibly losing some turning radius do to the extension required to mount a coilover off the a-arm i wouldn't bet on it being as easy as you think. If you want to look into some low buck long travel for your ifs rig check out blazeland's long travel kit. There are a few guys running it with great success and seems to be reliable as well. Then again you could build your own custom long travel a-arms and mount a coilover to them. good luck. check this out before you decide
http://www.blazeland.us/
Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 AM

The overseas Hilux continued to use this style torsion bar setup when the Tacomas with their coilovers were introduced to the US market. Most will tell you that the torsion bar setup is stronger.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 AM

I know it is an old thread, but I thought I would chime in a bit.
There really is not enough room like mentioned before for a coilover unless you go with a custom upper control arm or just go long travel.
The torsion bar suspension its self is stronger than the Tacoma, but the socket that the torsion bar goes into is the weak link. If you place a heavy enough torsion bar to control chassis movement, they will crack the socket and strip the bar.
Any type of really hard core driving you should convert over. But also remember, just a hoop will not do the job.
You are asking for all the body weight to be placed onto the frame in a different aria. You will have to back brace it as well. Total Chaos makes the entire kit of course.

Just my input!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 PM

thanks for the input, i decided to sas