Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd gen 4runner sr5 1997 3.4l

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen 4runner sr5 1997 3.4l

Hey there was just lookin to get good info from the experts, I have a 1997 4runner sr5 v6 im lookin to lift it 2 inches without sacrificing ride quality yet capable of handling some weekend trail, mud, snow terrains any thoughts bout whats the best to do
Old 11-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I'm no expert but imo
A) You don't mention where you'd be doing this weekend stuff- that would make a difference in the answer.
and
B) Have you wheeled it stock and found it lacking or back to A) Where would you be wheeling it that you know you need the couple o' inches?
and
C) I am very fond of my Sonoran Steel 1.2 lift. It doesn't drive the same as stock, but has nice road manners. Ride quality would also be affected by tires. Back to A) what terrain would you be wheeling it on? A/Ts are generally nicer than M/Ts on road (I said generally) and generally have better on road traction than M/Ts.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 PM

Well that was a bit general than precise, 2 inches are needed for bigger tires, 285/75/16 goin for dick cepek's fun country 2, as for the terrain its gona be mud trails, a bit of rock crawling but mostly onroad as I said its a part time hobby twice a month or so, was aiming for suspension lift to maintain ride quality rather than body lift or spacers so need heads up on suspension swap
Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Do some reading, there are a few favorites on lifts out there. I've named mine and it really does have nice road manners. My 96 is my daily driver as well as my toy. I do have BFG A/Ts, for the type of trails I like vs all the on-road action. That also makes a difference in the way my truck handles and drives compared to highway tires or m/ts.

For 33" tires you may also need wheels (dunno what you have...prolly the split tri-spoke?) with different backspacing or adapters or shaved or aftermarket upper a-arms. If you don't move the tire away from the frame (wheels or adapters) you will get frame rub as well. Some cutting or removal of bumper valance (easy), pinch weld maneuvering too (also easy), maybe a little short bit o' body lift depending on how much stuffy rubs you get and how much that matters to you. As you know, going up is a trade-off.

Anyway, don't rely on what this old girl has to say, there's lots of opinions and you have a lot a searches ahead of you (as well as a lot of fun).
Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 AM

Smile Sonoran are pretty nice

Originally Posted by habanero
I'm no expert but imo
A) You don't mention where you'd be doing this weekend stuff- that would make a difference in the answer.
and
B) Have you wheeled it stock and found it lacking or back to A) Where would you be wheeling it that you know you need the couple o' inches?
and
C) I am very fond of my Sonoran Steel 1.2 lift. It doesn't drive the same as stock, but has nice road manners. Ride quality would also be affected by tires. Back to A) what terrain would you be wheeling it on? A/Ts are generally nicer than M/Ts on road (I said generally) and generally have better on road traction than M/Ts.
I have recently ride my friend's truck with the same lift and tire, It was really nice. And for sure as you said, lifting is not just a picture, it depends on a lot of parameters, not just you budget