99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

VSC and ABS Light 2003 Sequoia.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC and ABS Light 2003 Sequoia.

Hey y'all,

I posted a query up here a long time ago (several months) about my VSC and ABS lights being on.

I had changed my back brake pads and the lights came on and never went off. I tried everything that was suggested ( abs sensor check, bleeding the brakes, loose wires, etc).

Took it to my mechanic. He told me the codes were saying it was the acceleration module under the console (inside). I could not believe that since the problem started when I changed the rear brake pads. He had a friend of his who is a "master tech" at a dealership check it out and that guy said it was the ABS control unit. Well, my mechanic tried 2 of those and neither got the job done. He had the car for 3 weeks during December troubleshooting all of this.

My mechanic did some reading in an ABS tech book he ordered from Toyota and got another idea. I took the Sequoia back and he tried several things . Then he told me he got nowhere. He again said what the codes were telling him (same as above). I told him to go on and switch it out.

He was right all along. That fixed the problem (neither the ABS nor VSC were working ). The part was about $350. He did not think that Toyota would have it on the shelf. He called and they had a lot of them.

He did call back and try to get my $90 back from the "master tech" but they said nope.

ANyway, just a follow up to a nagging problem.

Matt
Old 02-27-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texasbandito
Hey y'all,

I posted a query up here a long time ago (several months) about my VSC and ABS lights being on.

I had changed my back brake pads and the lights came on and never went off. I tried everything that was suggested ( abs sensor check, bleeding the brakes, loose wires, etc).

Took it to my mechanic. He told me the codes were saying it was the acceleration module under the console (inside). I could not believe that since the problem started when I changed the rear brake pads. He had a friend of his who is a "master tech" at a dealership check it out and that guy said it was the ABS control unit. Well, my mechanic tried 2 of those and neither got the job done. He had the car for 3 weeks during December troubleshooting all of this.

My mechanic did some reading in an ABS tech book he ordered from Toyota and got another idea. I took the Sequoia back and he tried several things . Then he told me he got nowhere. He again said what the codes were telling him (same as above). I told him to go on and switch it out.

He was right all along. That fixed the problem (neither the ABS nor VSC were working ). The part was about $350. He did not think that Toyota would have it on the shelf. He called and they had a lot of them.

He did call back and try to get my $90 back from the "master tech" but they said nope.

ANyway, just a follow up to a nagging problem.

Matt
So if they were both right, why are you wanting your $90 back? Maybe I'm misreading this?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
So if they were both right, why are you wanting your $90 back? Maybe I'm misreading this?
I don't want the money back. The master tech was wrong , but that happens. Just like other mistakes.

The point of the post was that the accelerator module was the issue, not the ABS unit. That is all.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 PM

vsc and abs light trouble

I have had the VSC and ABS light trouble for three years. Recently Toyota has announced a recall of the 2003 Sequoia (my gal) and the VSC control unit is reported as the problem. You figured out the problem and suspect alot of us have been complaining about the problem over the past seven years or so. I was told that to fix my problem three years ago it would be over $2000--i took my chances because i didnt have the money. I am now waiting for my recall notice in the mail....you should apply for a refund of the $$$ spent to fix the problem. By the way, i am sure that Toyota knew about the issue, hence your report of plenty of units on the shelf...... Thanks again for your post.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM

The Toyota Sequoia VSC recall DID NOT FIX the issue I was having with my '03 Sequoia VSC off, VSC trac, & ABS lights coming on. All the lights went away after the recall service, but it all came back on 4 days later. Both the dealer and Toyota corporate are not doing anything further for me. Instead, I was told the ECU needs to be replaced at my cost!!

I didn't wait for the recall notice to come in the mail. Go to: http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/ss...call_vinlookup and enter your vehicle's VIN. If your vehicle's eligible, just make an appt. with your dealer for the service (free of charge). Let me know if it fixes your Sequoia.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Wow. Funny places we find each other!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 PM

2003 sequoia vsc trac sensor

HI
My engine and vsc trac lights have come on my dash . Is or has there been a recall from toyota on this issue ? I just a received a recall about a frame (rust) problem , but nothing on this issue . Does this sensor issue cause problems with the 4 wheel activation ?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by boston05
HI
My engine and vsc trac lights have come on my dash . Is or has there been a recall from toyota on this issue ? I just a received a recall about a frame (rust) problem , but nothing on this issue . Does this sensor issue cause problems with the 4 wheel activation ?

Thanks
There is a recall from Toyota for an issue with the steering angle sensor.