99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota Tundra Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Tundra VS T100, looking to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra VS T100, looking to upgrade.

I have a 97 T100, love the truck, eventually I will need to upgrade and buy a nice used Tundra Xtra Cab. How much of the T100 DNA carried over to the Tundra? Did they upgrade the suspension and driveline? Is there a certain model year to avoid? Is there a more powerful enigine after a certain year?

My biggest concern is towing capacity. I want to be sure that the Tundra is up to the task of tow duty. I am not looking to exceed the capacity, but I want to know that it can handle it. I don't think my T100, trooper that it is, has enjoyed towing over the last few years.

If there is a Tundra buying guide post, please direct me to that thread.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

The Toyota Tundra's utilize a 4.7 liter 2UZ-FE V8 engine. It produced somewhere between 250-300 horsepower/torque. The new Tundra is supposed to have a new 5.7 liter V8 according to the people at lextreme.com... I read that Twisty_toy tows around his Suzuki around with his 4Runner which has the eariler 1UZ engine in it.

Last edited by 91_4x4runner; 02-21-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:28 AM

Thanks, I know the engine is different, but what about the other parts, driveline, suspension, etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everything is different.

the T-100 was based on the 1994/1995 4runners and initially had the 3.0L engine. after they got the 3.4L, they weren't all that much better.

the Tundra has the same front differential as a 1996+ 4runner. it has a 8.4" rear, the same as the NON-TRD tacomas that has been widened for the increased stance. The tundra has a pretty heavy frame and can hang w/ the domestics when it comes to light duty towing. it has a V8, and a stout automatic trans. i don't know what it's rated, but it's right there w/ the F150 and the 1500 series GM's. the front supension is derived from a tacoma/4runner with a coilover arrangement. the rear is more like a HD tacoma with leaf springs.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Just go look at one, the differences are very obvious.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:26 PM

Thanks. I always think it's good to get the views of people that actually own them. Guess I need to look at one a bit more closely next time.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
everything is different.

the T-100 was based on the 1994/1995 4runners and initially had the 3.0L engine. after they got the 3.4L, they weren't all that much better.
Originally Posted by pat161
Just go look at one, the differences are very obvious.

Blah, blah, blah......

I usually like Andy's posts, but he's a little off here and pat161's reply is pretty much worthless. I think Andy's speaking vaguely in general terms. And about a truck I've never seen him mention owning. Everything is not different, nor was the T100 based on the 94/95 4Runners, seeing how T100's debuted in '93. Nor are the differences very obvious to the eye, or sworxx probably wouldn't have asked.

The front suspension is different as the T100 has IFS with Torsion Bars where the Tundra has IFS with coils. T100s use a 7.5" front diff that is offset to the passenger's side, Tundras have a 7.5" IFS front diff offset to the drivers side. Both offered ADD, with manual Tundras getting a real shift lever and AT Tundras getting a push button.

So apparently the 3.4ltr is good in a 4Runner but the same motor isn't so hot in a T100....? Huh? Don't give me the T100 is heavier than a 4Runner arguement either. An ext cab T100 has a lighter curb weight and GVW than a '99 4Runner (and we own one of those too). Oh, and Hino in Japan made my T100, who produced the 3rd Gen 4Runners? The same 3.4 ltr was also offered in 6 cylinder manual Tundras up to '05 when they intro'd the new 4.0.

The rear differential is the same in the T100 and a Tundra. All 2wd and 4wd T100s and Tundras use a 8" 2-pinion diff. Tundras have been offered with a TRD Off Road package, including a limited slip. T100's had no Off Road Package or limited slip or e-locker offered.

On ext cab model Tundras and T100s, the T100 has a shorter wheelbase, shorter overall length, the same width, less curb weight, and more interior room. The bed measurements are the same, so a topper would be interchangeable between both trucks. Both trucks use a C channel frame, although I would guess the Tundra to be a bit stronger since it has a higher payload. 16" wheels are also interchangeable with identical bolt patterns.

Lots of similarities as the Tundra was based off the full size guinea pig, T100. If you plan on doing more towing, I'd get a V8 Tundra (rated to tow 7500lbs) or supercharge your T100 if you really like it. The aftermarket support will be greater with the Tundra and the market is getting soft on used ext cabs since the double cabs came out. No particular model year Tundra stands out as having major or repetitive problems.

And the rest of you, NO HATIN' ON THE T100!!! And Cripes, at least try to post some facts or answers for the guy.....
Old 10-24-2006, 03:39 AM

The differences between the two trucks are very obvious to anyone who actually goes and looks at them. If you want to write a partially correct book because people are too lazy to research feel free.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bagger
Blah, blah, blah......

I usually like Andy's posts, but he's a little off here and pat161's reply is pretty much worthless. I think Andy's speaking vaguely in general terms. And about a truck I've never seen him mention owning. Everything is not different, nor was the T100 based on the 94/95 4Runners, seeing how T100's debuted in '93. Nor are the differences very obvious to the eye, or sworxx probably wouldn't have asked.
My FIL owns a 2001 V8 SR5 4wd, which i have driven quite a bit. My brother has a 2005 2wd with a 3.4L auto. when considering that the 1992-1995 runners are the same as the 94/95's, then it's safe to assume that the 94/95 runner is a good comaprison since it has the same engine, transmission, and differentials.

The front suspension is different as the T100 has IFS with Torsion Bars where the Tundra has IFS with coils. T100s use a 7.5" front diff that is offset to the passenger's side, Tundras have a 7.5" IFS front diff offset to the drivers side. Both offered ADD, with manual Tundras getting a real shift lever and AT Tundras getting a push button.
good points. if you want to go into that much detail, then you should also state that the T100 diff is the exact same shell and gears that were found in a IFS 1986-1995 4runner. like i said, the front diff in the tundra is the exact same one as found in the 1995.5-2004 tacomas and the 1996-2002 4runners.

So apparently the 3.4ltr is good in a 4Runner but the same motor isn't so hot in a T100....? Huh? Don't give me the T100 is heavier than a 4Runner arguement either. An ext cab T100 has a lighter curb weight and GVW than a '99 4Runner (and we own one of those too). Oh, and Hino in Japan made my T100, who produced the 3rd Gen 4Runners? The same 3.4 ltr was also offered in 6 cylinder manual Tundras up to '05 when they intro'd the new 4.0.
a 4runner is a glorified grocery getter, not designed for what i would consider even medium-duty towing or hauling. the T-100 and Tundra are both marketed as full-sized trucks and have rear leaf springs compared to the coils of a runner. they have a higher payload capacity and a higher towing capacity. the tundra was offered w/ the same 3.4L engine even on the automatics, but it was rated higher than the ones found in the T-100, 4runner, and Tacomas. also, the T-100 was touted as a "full-size" truck, but had no V8 availability. that's just silly if you ask me.

The rear differential is the same in the T100 and a Tundra. All 2wd and 4wd T100s and Tundras use a 8" 2-pinion diff. Tundras have been offered with a TRD Off Road package, including a limited slip. T100's had no Off Road Package or limited slip or e-locker offered.
Absolutely false. The T100 had a Toyota Truck 8" rear axle that was widened for it's increased stance. That's the only difference between it's rear axle, a hilux rear, or a 4runner rear of the same years. The Tundra has a 8.4" rear third member, NOT an 8". it's stronger, plain and simple. The reason a tundra was never offered with a locking rear differential is because it had the 8.4" axle that didn't have one available. You cannot swap a 8" tacoma locking rear differential into a Tundra rear axle housing.

On ext cab model Tundras and T100s, the T100 has a shorter wheelbase, shorter overall length, the same width, less curb weight, and more interior room. The bed measurements are the same, so a topper would be interchangeable between both trucks. Both trucks use a C channel frame, although I would guess the Tundra to be a bit stronger since it has a higher payload. 16" wheels are also interchangeable with identical bolt patterns.
the only thing wrong w/ this is that the toppers are NOT interchangable. maybe a generic one, but the shape of the Tundra cab limits which toppers will fit, and unfortunately, only one MADE for a tundra will fit on one.

Lots of similarities as the Tundra was based off the full size guinea pig, T100. If you plan on doing more towing, I'd get a V8 Tundra (rated to tow 7500lbs) or supercharge your T100 if you really like it. The aftermarket support will be greater with the Tundra and the market is getting soft on used ext cabs since the double cabs came out. No particular model year Tundra stands out as having major or repetitive problems.

And the rest of you, NO HATIN' ON THE T100!!! And Cripes, at least try to post some facts or answers for the guy.....
The Tundra was a complete redesign and wasn't based on the T-100 at all. Different, beefier frame, bigger engine availability, different front diff, different trans, different rear axle, different transfer case, different body dimenisons, etc, ad nauseum. I do agree that ALL MODEL YEAR Tundras are good trucks. There haven't been any bad years for them.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
The differences between the two trucks are very obvious to anyone who actually goes and looks at them. If you want to write a partially correct book because people are too lazy to research feel free.
Thank you for reiterating what I said. You didn't have to (not) say it twice. Better to write a "partially correct book" than to offer no help at all. That's supposed to be the idea of a forum, to share information. What's lazier, asking for help or not offering it?

Originally Posted by sworxx
Did they upgrade the suspension and driveline? Is there a certain model year to avoid? Is there a more powerful enigine after a certain year?

....what about the other parts, driveline, suspension, etc
I stand by my statement that you cannot tell the difference between the suspensions and drivelines, nor if there is a certain model year to avoid, "just by looking." Yes you can tell they are different trucks, but you can't determine the answers to his questions, by just looking.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Let me preface this post by stating that I realize the T100 is not the most popular model. There is not a lot of info on them available, and I resist quite often, posting a link in the T100 section, to another T100 board that still sees more regular traffic. My attempt here is to put as much correct info out there as possible and at least try to answer his questions.

Andy's comment that adding the 3.4ltr to the T100 didn't make them all that much better surprised me? Would they have been better off staying with the 3.Slo? I don't think that's what Andy meant, but I'm left wondering, "What did he mean by that?"

....then it's safe to assume that the 94/95 runner is a good comaprison since it has the same engine, transmission, and differentials.
A good comparison, yes. Lots of similarities, the idea of the T100 was to test the waters for a full size truck and the design was based on that idea, not to reinvent the 4Runner as a truck. I believe it was an attempt to upgrade their 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton offerings from the '80's. I could be wrong, moot point.

....the tundra was offered w/ the same 3.4L engine even on the automatics, but it was rated higher than the ones found in the T-100, 4runner, and Tacomas. also, the T-100 was touted as a "full-size" truck, but had no V8 availability. that's just silly if you ask me.
Even sillier when you consider that it was also offered with the 2.7ltr 4 banger. All auto Tundras have the 4.7ltr V8, all manuals got the 3.4ltr till '05. This is fact. The 3.4ltr in a Tundra was "rated higher" than the 3.4 in the T's, Tacos and 4Runners...? You lost me...?

Absolutely false. The T100 had a Toyota Truck 8" rear axle that was widened for it's increased stance. That's the only difference between it's rear axle, a hilux rear, or a 4runner rear of the same years. The Tundra has a 8.4" rear third member, NOT an 8". it's stronger, plain and simple. The reason a tundra was never offered with a locking rear differential is because it had the 8.4" axle that didn't have one available. You cannot swap a 8" tacoma locking rear differential into a Tundra rear axle housing.
I wouldn't say "absolutely" - Here is my source - T100 and Tundra rear diffs "In the past this diff has also been mistakenly called an 8.4" or 8.25" diff. The ring gear actually measures 8", but it is not compatible with the older 8" diffs at all. The extra strength of this diff comes from the bearing cap/truss and large diameter pinion gear shaft."

Here's another, from ARB
No, you cannot swap an 8" Tacoma locker into a Tuindra, but you can swap an Air Locker from a T100 into a Tundra, it's the same size rear diff.

the only thing wrong w/ this is that the toppers are NOT interchangable. maybe a generic one, but the shape of the Tundra cab limits which toppers will fit, and unfortunately, only one MADE for a tundra will fit on one.
Hmm, bought my used topper from a Tundra owner. Other than a slight paint mismatch, it's a perfect fit, even at the roofline with the cab. They fit Dodge Dakota's too.

The Tundra was a complete redesign and wasn't based on the T-100 at all. Different, beefier frame, bigger engine availability, different front diff, different trans, different rear axle, different transfer case, different body dimenisons, etc, ad nauseum.

Some interesting specs, but we're just splitting hairs now -

1993-98 Toyota T100: Specs

Vehicle Dimensions
Specification ext. cab reg. cab
Wheelbase, in. 121.8 121.8
Overall Length, in. 209.1 209.1
Overall Width, in. 75.2 75.2
Overall Height, in. 68.2 67.2
Curb Weight, lbs. 3550 3320
Cargo Volume, cu. ft. -- --
Standard Payload, lbs. 2150 1650
Fuel Capacity, gals. 24.0 24.0
Seating Capacity 6 3
Front Head Room, in. 39.6 39.6
Max. Front Leg Room, in. 42.9 42.9
Rear Head Room, in. 37.8 --
Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 29.6 --

Specifications Key: NA = not available; "--" = measurement does not exist.

2000-06 Toyota Tundra: Specs

Vehicle Dimensions
Specification ext. cab short bed reg. cab long bed
Wheelbase, in. 128.3 128.3
Overall Length, in. 217.5 217.5
Overall Width, in. 75.2 75.2
Overall Height, in. 70.7 70.5
Curb Weight, lbs. 4088 3795
Cargo Volume, cu. ft. -- --
Standard Payload, lbs. -- --
Fuel Capacity, gals. 26.4 26.4
Seating Capacity 6 3
Front Head Room, in. 40.3 40.3
Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.5 41.5
Rear Head Room, in. 37.0 --
Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 29.6 --

Specifications Key: NA = not available; "--" = measurement does not exist.

So to look at the specs, the dimensions are nearly identical. Lockers available for the front and rear Tundra diffs are interchangeable with the T100, although there is some difference after '04 when Tundras went to a larger front diff. Both have alunimum cased gear driven transfer cases (although I'm not sure if they're the same model #) and likewise on the automatic 4 speed trannies with OD.

Enough splitting hairs. I think it's safe to say that there are MANY similarities between a T100 and the first model Tundras. There is a lot of information out there on both vehicles even if there is some confusion (on my part too) about what is similar and what is different. Maybe this will help someone who is looking for information in the future.

Go Big Orange!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

i meant that they should have had a V8 offering in a "full sized" truck. no option for it really shut them out of the market at the time.

my brother has a 2005 2WD Tundra SR5 Access Cab with a 195hp 3.4L V6 and a AUTOMATIC transmission. they do exist...

your other points are valid. good comparison.

Last edited by bamachem; 10-24-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:43 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I gotta say is that the only option I wish my T100 has is a v8, this can be overcome with the supercharger imho and at a much cheaper cost than buying even a used tundra.

I like my truck alot more than the tundra we had at work, it is more comfy inside and to drive, handles weight better and the box isnt flimsy like the tundra is.

Honestly if I could manage a tundra 4.7L to T100 swap I would, otherwise its SC for me down the road.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:02 PM

my brother has a 2005 2WD Tundra SR5 Access Cab with a 195hp 3.4L V6 and a AUTOMATIC transmission. they do exist...
And I would've bet the farm that 3.4's in an auto tranny Tundra didn't exist, so I learned something. I always forget there are some 2wd's on the road too. A quick check on Autotrader shows that for any model year, an XCab Tundra 4WD with a 3.4 and automatic, there are only 20 listed nationwide vs. 2,800 V8 and automatic Tundras. Clearly a 3.4 and auto 4WD Tundra is an odd duck.

I haven't heard of a 195hp 3.4ltr. Everything I've seen has the Tundra V6 speced as the same 190hp 3.4ltr that's in the Tacomas, T100's and 4Runners. And how did your brother get an '05 with a 3.4ltr? A late model '04 maybe? I thought they dropped the 3.4ltr in '05 for the new 4.0ltr...?

Sorry, that was a lot of decimal points and litres in that paragraph to have to read...

Well, the orginal point of sworxx's post was what is similar and what is different between the Tundra and T100. I think there are several things that are similar and some things that are different. I appreciate Andy's help in clarifying those similarities and differences.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 PM

To get back to the topic at hand.... I think I know some of the info you are looking for. Well, I have heard that you really need to check out the brakes on the 2000 models, especially the heavier V8s. Seems as if the brake rotors were initially too small for these trucks and warping was common. Its really not one to avoid, but one of the only problems that seem to plague. Also, not sure how widespread, or what all years, but I have heard that automatic transmission failures have been reported on some of the 2000-03 models. I have no idea whats going on there. Lastly- make sure the one you buy has had the timing belt replaced (unless you negotiate down to get it replaced yourself). The 4.7L V8 is an interference engine and if the belt snaps, the engine is likely destroyed. Hope this has helped some.... Good luck.

On side notes....I almost bought a 03' Tundra access cab, with the 3.4L and automatic- so, yeah they exist. I agree that the V6 4wd is rare in the Tundra.

I have been looking at Tundras and T100s for awhile now. I like them both... its just boiled down to which one I can get a better deal on. I have narrowed it down to four:

2001 Tundra ext. cab - SR5, V8, automatic, 2wd w/137K
2000 Tundra ext. cab - SR5, V8, automatic, 4wd w/114K
2000 Tundra ext. cab - SR5, V8, automatic, 2wd w/140K
1998 T100 ext. cab - SR5, V6, automatic, 4wd w/70K

I am really interested in all.... the price on the T100 is still unclear. I will know more about it later.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:36 AM

Gotta call you out on this one. You definitely didn't do your homework here. The non-locker-Taco/T100/Tundra rear axle use the same third members with a big truss for strength. 8" ring gear. Not 8.4" as commonly believed. Some people may call them 8.4" to differentiate them from the V6 8". V6 pickup thirds will not fit in the T100 axle housing as the housing uses different bolts and is slightly larger. Tacomas/T100s/Tundras have the same locker options. Check parts numbers.

Auto trannies are very close in design, with parts able to be swapped between them. Check Cebby's swap thread on POR for more info on that, plus teardown pics.

T100 front thirds are the same as pre-Tacoma mini truck diffs.

ARB Application Chart below as previously posted....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ARBAppChart.pdf (26.4 KB, 532 views)

Last edited by BlackToySteve; 10-30-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:17 PM

Blah, blah, blah, let me get in on this.

T-100 torsion bar IFS, bolted CV flanges, 7.5" low pinion front diff like 2nd Gen Runners and Pre-Taco IFS mini's.

Tundra coilover IFS, snap rig CV's, 7.5" high pinion front diff like 3rd Gen Runners and Tacos.

Congratulations on the literacy, all the ring gears are the same size. The difference is the girdles that keep the ring gear from deflecting.

If you plan to tow anything, get a Tundra with a V-8. The 3.4 is a great engine, I put one in my 95, but it is not a tower.

If I had to buy a Toyota truck tomorrow, Extra Cab Tundra hands down.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Blah, blah, blah.....
Finally, someone who speaks my language.

If I had to buy a Toyota truck tomorrow, Extra Cab Tundra hands down.
Agreed. But of his options, and only his options, which one would you chose? I think some of these have already been ruled out, but of the original four choices, each at a fair price for the year and miles, what do you like? Just curious -

2001 Tundra ext. cab - SR5, V8, automatic, 2wd w/137K
2000 Tundra ext. cab - SR5, V8, automatic, 4wd w/114K
2000 Tundra ext. cab - SR5, V8, automatic, 2wd w/140K
1998 T100 ext. cab - SR5, V6, automatic, 4wd w/70K
Old 10-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

i'd do the 4WD v8 tundra for sure.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:48 PM

4wd Tundra for sure.

2wd trucks are cars.

If you need a truck to work it, tow some and DD, get a 4wd. If you don't need the 4wd you don't need the truck.

Quick Reply: Tundra VS T100, looking to upgrade.