99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Ticking noise & misfire after over heating

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking noise & misfire after over heating

Hi everyone, my 2005 sequoia has encountered some issues.

Heres what happened.

I was towing a car the other day with the sequoia when it started to over heat at a red light, the light turned green and I drove though the intersection till I was able to shut the truck off and coast home.

The temperature neeled gauge gauge got as high as 3/4 of the way up.
barely made it home. I let it cool down and put some water in the radiator and started it up, the truck stumbles and doesn't idle really well and is making a ticking noise from the right side.

Here's what's wrong with the truck now,
Poor idle
Misfire in cylinders 7 & 8.
Ticking noise from the left side(driver side) of the engine.

I have replaced the radiator because that was the cause of over heating, and new plugs.

Next on my list is coil packs or exhaust gasket?

Could a misfire cause the ticking noise? Or could the exhaust gasket gotten so hot that it failed and that's where the ticking is coming from?

Any input and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Overheating and misfire, I would lean more towards head gasket and/or loss of compression. Can do a compression test on the coding cylinders...or even a vac test hooked up to one of the intake hoses...

May want to check to see if coolant is burning in the exhaust and if it has mixed with oil in both systems (rad and oil dipstick), just to be safe.

Before you settle on coil packs, you can check resistance on them for reassurance
Old 06-21-2017, 02:28 AM

Thank you for the reply.
The compression test was the first thing I did today.

Sadly, cylinder 7 had 0, absolutely no compression.
all other cylinders were fine.
It is hard to believe the over heating may have fried the rings or burnt the valves. The truck has 180k miles and never had issues before.

I have over heated other cars worse than this and they were find with a simple head gasket change.

Tomorrow I will do a leak down test and see where the air escapes from.

Fingers crossed for air in the cooling system.

I have not lost any coolant though in the times I have had it on.

If air air comes from the bottom end, I will have to rebuild it.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Yeah, that is weird. I've experienced an overheating Accord and was lucky, no misfire...mine was from a swollen heater hose that blew. But I stopped driving it as soon as it happened. So I wonder how far did you continue towing before it was able to cool down.
Hopefully later you can post an update that it was fixed. Best of luck.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the reply again.
Yea, I have over heated a few cars before, and overheated them longer than this truck and they were fine.
The truck over heated at a fed light near the house, it got to about 3/4 on the temp gauge and once I started moving it cooled down then got back up to 3/4 and I shut it off and just coasted, I turned it on once more for less than 10 seconds just to give me a push and shut it off and coasted home.
Hard to believe that little over heating caused this.

Anyways, I had a new engine delivered yesterday and pulled the old one out. I'm going to put the new one in today, but they look
exactly the same and I know the 2004 is internally different, anyway to check the year from the outside of the engine? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM

Sorry I thought someone might have chimed in, but I have no idea where the yr engine would be stamped, other than the vehicle label inside the driver side lower door panel. I would think if the engine from the 04 is the same class as yours, it be a match for the most part. Yr to yr models can be different with certain electronic connections and some accessory stuff. So while it may be worth the switch, you might have to either modify the connections or just complete the rest without for instance, 4wd. My guess. Sorry. But I think its doable.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:40 PM

Thanks for keeping in touch.

The 2004 model is different so I wasn't sure if I had an 04 or 05.
After looking at the new engine, I saw it had written 05 Thundra on the flywheel. Then the question came again, will it work?

Anyways, I decided to throw it in and it worked just fine! Only thing different was the wire harness for the transmission, the thundra harness was missing one plug so I used my old trans harness.

The starter was different too, my old starter from the sequoia had the "heavy torque" starter and it was bigger too.

I only swapped the starter because the truck wouldn't start at first and I figured it was the starter.
I put my old, known to be good starter in the new engine(which wasn't easy) and still no start.
Come to realize a plug that goes to the engine fuse box is loose! I plug it in all the way and fires up after a few cranks.

Leaking some power steering fluid somewhere, but besides that, all good now and back on the road!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:43 PM

Wow! Awesome update!