99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Looking to buy 05-07 sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy 05-07 sequoia

So it's about time to replace the family hauler, a tough task with a household of 8. Currently we have a 97 k2500 suburban, it's been a great vehicle and while it still has life left it's time to start looking. I'm interested in about the 10k-15k price range which has led me to the 05-07 sequoia. The seem like great vehicles. I tested drove an 02 a while back but after doing some research it seems like the 05-07 will be my best bet. I'll spend a bit more but they seem more refined and have the 5 speed transmission. I don't really care for the 08+ models. I have done some research but have just a few questions for now...

SR5 vs. Limited
It has to seat 8, I've noticed a lot of the limited have a center armrest in the second row which won't work for me, since they only seat 7. Do all limited only seat 7?
Paint color. It seems like they are almost all, black, white, or silver. I really like the blue and green ones though. Are there more color choices in limited vs. SR5?
Any other suggestions on the 05-07 or limited vs. SR5 models appreciated. Thank you all.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Doesn't seem to be a lot of sequoia owners here, your questions seem more for a dealership salesman honestly.
Pretty sure there are online manufacturer guides on the model trims for you to make the comparison.

My suggestion in case its been overlooked is a search on the TSB (tech service bulletins) for any known issues or recalls.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM

So I believe I found the right one. It's at a dealership about an hour away. I've been in contact with them, they just took it on trade in and it's going to detail.
Its and 07 limited, one owner, every option, 133k. They are asking 13,700. It does have the typical rust behind the rear door. I'm not thrilled about that but I'm in the Midwest, it is what it is. And it's not bad, definitely repairable.
So this brings me to the frame recall that I have just found out about. I will be checking the frame closely on this when I go to look at it. According to the recall you don't have to be the original owner and you have 12 years from the date of the original purchase, so this sequoia should qualify if it has issues. Maybe it's already been replaced.
Has anyone here dealt with frame rust issues and recall on a Sequoia? Not sure how I feel about spending 13k on a vehicle that may need a frame, but I guess if Toyota will pay for it, I dunno. What do you all think?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:10 PM

Well there sure doesn't seem to be many sequoia owners on here, but now there is one more. We took the trip today to look at it and it had just came back from detail. It cleaned up really nice, however it has its share of scuffs when you look closely. Undercarriage rust is minimal, small amount of rust behind the door, typical for the Midwest. But bottom line it was exactly the year, options, and color I wanted. They budged a little on price but not much. 13,500 is all I could get them too.
So it's mine now, it's a 2007 sequoia limited with what appears to be every option except rear air ride, which I didn't want anyway. And it's blue! Hard to find, they all seem to be black, white, or silver, and a few green. DVD, nav, well I think about everything. It has 133k, brand new tires, runs and drives great.
Well truth be told, it's for the wifey, I hope she's happy.

that's okay, I'll drive my oil leaking, exhaust smelling, stuck window, bouncy, rusted out first gen.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks nice. Hey, as long as you're happy and you know how to take care of it and minimize the rust from taking its toll, sure you'll get something out of owning it.

Maybe the wife should do the bargaining, huh. 😊 I think women do a better job. Better than me that's for sure.