99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

2007 Tundra Coolant goes straight to oil pan.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Tundra Coolant goes straight to oil pan.

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 2007 Tundra TRD crew cab, sight unseen.

It has 65k miles.
It was delivered yesterday and I checked all fluids before starting it, the coolant was completely gone and I drained the oil and nothing but coolant came out.

I put water into the radiator to fill it, with the oil drain plug out and the water was going into the radiator and coming straight out of the oil drain hole.

I am not sure what it could be.

Could the the head gasket be that bad that water just goes right through it?

Could someone have possibly changed the head gasket and installed it upside down?

If anyone has experienced this or is familiar with these engines that could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Cracked block?? Coolant system pressure test.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
if the coolant runs right through you won't be able to do a pressure test. you're going to have to start digging in and looking at items one at a time as you get deeper to see what's cracked or installed improperly. It could be in the timing cover area (I don't know tundras and I don't know what motor you have) or intake, if the coolant runs through as fast as you pour it in it's a bad sign and if it's not related to the timing cover or intake (v-6?) and is actually internal like a cracked head or block you may as well replace the whole engine or do a full rebuild. I hope you didn't pay much for the truck!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
When I said pressure test, I was thinking of regulated low pressure compressed air, supplied continuously to try and determine by sound where the breach might be.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
What Millball said. I'd start with doing that. Essentially a leak down test for the cooling system. If that doesn't locate the problem then yeah, the only thing to do is tear down the engine.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.
AKwheeler, the coolant comes out almost as fast as I pour. Once the oil pan is empty, I fill up the radiator and until the coolant gets about halfway up the radiator I'm guessing, it starts to drain from the oil pan.
It has a V8 5.7L engine.

Millball, I will do a pressure test, or apply air to the cooling system to see where the coolant is going.

Kolton, I may tear apart the engine or just replace it as Akwheeler said.

Another thought I had was, the oil cooler, may be linked to this somehow if it works with the radiator? or bad radiator?

Thanks for the help everyone. Any other ideas or thoughts are welcome.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Reminds me of those pink milkshake horror stories with other models...different fluid mix, but yeah, not good at all.

Must've gotten a really low price on that tun of work. Kidding aside, I hope you get that one fixed. Last I recall you had some other issues with another Toy model and you had to replace the block or something. Man, I feel ya.

All good advice from the wisemen. Inevitably a teardown. Wherever the coolant normally travels, gonna have to check to see where it detours.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:10 PM

The oil cooler could definitely cause it but I wouldn't expect it to flow all that fast. Do the tundras have block mounted coolers like the 3.0s and 3.4s? Disconnect the lines from it and plug them off. If the problem persists then it's not I the cooler.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 PM

75w90mantraN, the price was below what a running one on the street was. Now it may come around to the same price as a running one, or just below it.
Yea that last truck I had issues with was my 06 Sequoia. Lost compression in cyl8 after overheating and I ended up swapping the engine.

Kolton5543, I removed the oil cooler lines and blocked them. Didn't make a difference.

What i I have found out is that, the water goes into the engine from the upper radiator hose.
I took it off the radiator and plugged the radiator and filled it with water.
The water didn't come out of the oil pan with the top rad hose disconnected.

So so it's something near the top.

I was was looking at the water pump diagram and the gasket for it looks like it seals 2 areas.
Windering now if the top part of the water pump gasket seals in oil.
Heres a picture.
The gasket is one big round gasket but then a smaller seal within it.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Tundra Coolant goes straight to oil pan.-img_9475.png  
Old 12-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jdmswagserf
kolton5543, i removed the oil cooler lines and blocked them. Didn't make a difference.

What i i have found out is that, the water goes into the engine from the upper radiator hose.
I took it off the radiator and plugged the radiator and filled it with water.
The water didn't come out of the oil pan with the top rad hose disconnected.

So so it's something near the top.

There is a themostat on the lower hose that block coolant flow until the engine is hot. When filling the cooling system, the top hose is the only way for coolant to flow into the engine regardless. If the cooler didd't do it then I'm willing to bet you have a cracked head or block.