Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

Should I do an Auto to Manual Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Should I do an Auto to Manual Swap??

As some of you know, I have a 1987 2WD pickup that has been in the family since new. It was the vehicle I learned to drive on. This was my great grandmother's truck (believe it or not) and an automatic was easier for her.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I started thinking about **Possibly** and **eventually** converting my automatic A43D to a 5-speed manual.

Currently, the auto works just fine and has no problems and seems to be a solid automatic transmission overall, however, it seems slow especially up hills. I have never driven a 5-speed 22R so I have nothing to compare the performance to though. Does anybody have experience driving both a 22R (22R-E) auto and manual? How does driving an automatic compare to a manual?

I just got curious about the benefits vs costs of doing the swap. Would it make sense to do this conversion when the auto is just fine? IF I were to do the swap, it would probably be at least a year and a half before I had the time and money to do it.

There would be a lot of little things that would need to be changed (I have a column shift so there is no hole in the floor and the bench seat does not have the cut out for the shifter.)
  • Possibly driveshaft
  • Possibly different differential gear ratio between auto and manual....
  • pedals
  • wiring
  • clutch and hydraulics etc.

I have seen a few 4WD auto to manual swaps here but no 2WD swaps. Google did not turn up any swaps for my particular application.
IF I do the swap, what 2WD 5-speed transmission should go in? What 5-speed was available when this was new? W55? Something else?

This is the kind of thinking I do when I have a 7 hour car ride and nothing to do.....

If the swap is too much work for the gains, just say so. I am trying to keep this truck as factory as possible with some added factory options but thought a clean 5-speed swap would be cool.

Thanks!!

Last edited by old87yota; 11-28-2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Words, Jake can't spell...
Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
An automatic is weak in the 22 and the 3.0. I have not swapped from auto to manual but if I had an automatic, I would swap it. Something about having to ground a wire in the computer to make the computer think the truck is in neutral all of the time. It would not be hard to swap from auto to manual in my opinion.

I used and 83 Celica transmission to go from a 4 speed to a 5 speed transmission and it was a direct swap on a two wheel drive. Any two wheel transmission should be a direct fit. Yours will have to be a 91 or older transmission.

I think you would like the power gain myself.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:05 AM

Thanks Terrys87!

I think I would like the power gain too!

Since I have a 22R that is 2WD, there is no computer for either the engine or transmission (there is an emissions computer but I believe no changes are needed here).

I know there is a park/neutral safety switch that prevents the engine from starting when in gear. Maybe I can convert that switch to a clutch safety switch ( I would have to study the electrical wiring diagram).

I think the hardest part (other than lifting the transmission in) would be all the little details. I want to make the swap look as factory as possible. Yeah, I am that type of person. I would need to delete the column shift and find new steering column plastics. Ok, I don't need to do that, the truck would run just fine, but I want the swap to look like it came from the factory that way.

To my surprise, I am having a hard time finding out what 5-speed manual transmission(s) were available in 1987 for 2WD trucks. I can find a ton of information for 4WD transmissions though.

If and when I do the swap, I plan to document the process and post it here.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definitely like a manual trans over an automatic so I think it would be worth it! If I were going to do a swap like that I think I would try to find a junky manual truck to buy that had all the stuff you need. Even if it was wrecked, the cheaper the better! that way you would have all the little stuff, It would be hard to source it all separately. Also, you would have an example to go off of for how everything is set up. Then you could just sell the parts truck, or junk it, or keep it around for more parts. That is a really nice looking truck you have!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by red90toyota
I definitely like a manual trans over an automatic so I think it would be worth it! If I were going to do a swap like that I think I would try to find a junky manual truck to buy that had all the stuff you need. Even if it was wrecked, the cheaper the better! that way you would have all the little stuff, It would be hard to source it all separately. Also, you would have an example to go off of for how everything is set up. Then you could just sell the parts truck, or junk it, or keep it around for more parts. That is a really nice looking truck you have!
Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: I added more information throughout.

The truck has been in the family since new and got passed down to me when I learned how to drive. I have been driving it ever since (about 6 years).

At this point, I want to do the swap, however, I do not have the time (or money) to do a swap like this since this is my only vehicle and daily driver. I am thinking I might be able to do the swap over the summer ( I am in college) but that all depends if I have to take classes over the summer or get a job/internship where I would need to rely on the truck for transportation.

It would be awesome to buy a parts truck but do not have anywhere to put it where I live.

The manual is calling my name though! I know this because I pretend to shift when the auto does.... I cannot be the only one who does this, right? Right?!?

I did find out that Toyota had four possible manual transmissions via the maintenance section in my 1987 factory service manual: W46 (4 speed), W55 (5 speed), W56 (2wd version 5 speed), R150 (5speed).

It seems that the W55 is the most common from my internet searches but I do not know for sure. I also have not figured out which transmission was used for what application. I know this doesn't really matter as long as it comes off of a 22R/22R-E but I want a close to factory setup or an upgrade if there is one.

So.... Here is probably what's going to happen:
  • I will most likely have to wait until I graduate college in another year and a half. This will give me plenty of time to figure out which transmission I want to use, which differential gear ratio I should match with the transmission and what other things I need to get. I am pretty sure the differential gear ratio is different between my A43D and the manual transmissions but I am not sure on that yet. I should probably check and see what I have now...
  • Then get a good job, preferably in Mechanical Engineering Technology (my field of study).
  • Buy a house and hoard... uh.....I mean... collect Toyotas
For now, the truck does the job just fine and really good for a 30 year old daily driver. Starts up every time, just not on the first crank. I will fix that problem this weekend.

Last edited by old87yota; 01-25-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Adding more information.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Since yours is a 22r, I would only get a clutch pedal, flywheel, master and slave cylinder, the line that runs across the fire wall from the master to slave cylinder. I helped a friend convert from auto to manual not long ago and it is not a bad job to do at all. There are dimples where you need to drill out for the bolts to hold the components. I have used a Celica transmission for a auto to manual swap and it was a direct fit. My friend and I measured some other transmissions and seems like Toyota did keep the 4 and 5 speeds all the same length and that will save you from having to adjust the drive shaft.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:20 AM

Toyota automatics are great transmissions, they are durable and typically last as long as the engine will. Toyotas issue is low hp engines not the trans. Honestly if I could find a 2wd Toyota with an auto like yours I'd have a hard time not buying it. What a great DD rig. I never thought Toyota or any 4cyl truck did good on hills and we have hills here.
Swapping a manual transmission has been done it's just a matter of gathering all the needed parts. Best would be find a donor truck to rob the parts out of. I keep it end enjoy the comfort of not having to shift.
BTW: I threw the 5spd away and swapped in the auto. Love it.

Last edited by R.DesJardin; 01-26-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:05 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I did the swap.
Don't get hung up on the 4wd or 2wd trans swap search, its all the same.
parts truck would be ideal, but not necessary. Wiring is easy, just unplug the old trans ecu and connect the neutral/park safety switch. The old ECUs do not care if the trans computer is hooked up or not....or is this Carb'd, which should be just as easy.
You'll need to drill a hole in the fire wall for the new master cylinder, but everything else is bolt on IIRC. Collect all the parts and you could probably do this over a weekend.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by RBX
I did the swap.
Don't get hung up on the 4wd or 2wd trans swap search, its all the same.
parts truck would be ideal, but not necessary. Wiring is easy, just unplug the old trans ecu and connect the neutral/park safety switch. The old ECUs do not care if the trans computer is hooked up or not....or is this Carb'd, which should be just as easy.
You'll need to drill a hole in the fire wall for the new master cylinder, but everything else is bolt on IIRC. Collect all the parts and you could probably do this over a weekend.

Never thought of connecting the neutral/park switch. All I ever heard of was grounding a certain wire. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:32 AM
RBX

^^^ I think I have more information in my build thread
Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the comments!

I do have the 22R carbureted engine so there is no ECU or transmission computer to deal with.

Thanks Terrys87, R.DesJardin and RBX for your tips and information!

Toyota automatics are great transmissions, they are durable and typically last as long as the engine will. Toyotas issue is low hp engines not the trans. Honestly if I could find a 2wd Toyota with an auto like yours I'd have a hard time not buying it. What a great DD rig. I never thought Toyota or any 4cyl truck did good on hills and we have hills here.
Swapping a manual transmission has been done it's just a matter of gathering all the needed parts. Best would be find a donor truck to rob the parts out of. I keep it end enjoy the comfort of not having to shift.
BTW: I threw the 5spd away and swapped in the auto. Love it.
I have to agree with you that Toyota automatic transmissions are great transmissions. The A43D in mine is all original and works perfectly fine. I believe the transmission still has the original ATF from the factory! The family member I got the truck from never changed it because it had such low mileage. I have been hesitant to change it because new fluid may clean out the junk that might be keeping the seals good. I also think the 22R is a great engine as well, just not a lot of power. The pairing between the two though seems to be where the low power really seems to matter.

I think my main lack of power is actually with my carburetor since I have noticed flat spots around the 2,000 to 2,500 RPM range where the engine does not want to go up into the RPM range very fast. This makes acceleration slow. I also have a hesitation on acceleration from a dead stop. I am going to rebuild the carburetor this weekend and see what differences this makes. I feel that the rebuild wouldn't hurt anything, especially since it has never been apart in its 30 years of existence. Many of the seals and diaphragms are probably past their prime.

And no, I am not converting to a Weber carburetor, but that will be for another thread.

I mostly want to convert for the fun of driving a 5 speed. I have driven my brother's 1990 Toyota Corolla Wagon with a 5 speed and like the driving experience with a manual. To me, an automatic can be boring to drive. Now if I lived in San Francisco where there are lots of hills to stop on, I would probably keep the auto. just for convenience.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:10 PM

It is challenging with it being your everyday driver and being in school and all, I was there just a few years ago. I think the R150 was only offered in trucks with a 6 cylinder. If I were going through the trouble of doing the swap I would rule the 4 speed out if possible. I wonder if the difference between the w55 and w56 is the gear ratios of the gears in the trans, does your manual list the ratios?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have seen the ratios for transmissions somewhere but as far as the rear end ratios, I got this list from my local salvage yard and am thinking the 2 wheel only had one ratio if this helps any in the future. 3.90

Gear codes
Name:  gears%202_zps6fxrwkxg.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  31.7 KB[/QUOTE]
Old 01-27-2017, 05:57 PM
RBX

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._transmissions
Old 01-28-2017, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
An automatic is weak in the 22 and the 3.0. I have not swapped from auto to manual but if I had an automatic, I would swap it. Something about having to ground a wire in the computer to make the computer think the truck is in neutral all of the time. It would not be hard to swap from auto to manual in my opinion.

I used and 83 Celica transmission to go from a 4 speed to a 5 speed transmission and it was a direct swap on a two wheel drive. Any two wheel transmission should be a direct fit. Yours will have to be a 91 or older transmission.

I think you would like the power gain myself.
hey bro I have an important question for you?
Old 01-28-2017, 02:22 AM

Is it possible for a 1987 wiring harness to fit in a 1989 truck?

I have a 1987 Toyota hilux wiring harness and I wanna put in the 1989 truck I have, so is it possible?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tonchi670
I have a 1987 Toyota hilux wiring harness and I wanna put in the 1989 truck I have, so is it possible?
Tonchi670, You should either start your own thread or Personal Message (PM) Terrys87 directly.

Don't hijack threads, especially when they have nothing to do with the thread topic. It is rude.

Last edited by old87yota; 01-28-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Thanks everyone for their input!

I have been battling computer update issues so it took longer to reply.

I found my truck's codes on the VIN plate under the hood: 138FP11F302A43D

From my research, the axle code is F302. The F means a 7.5" rear differential. Most 2WD trucks have a 7.5" rear differential but some did come with 8" rear differentials. So far, I have not been able to figure out what the 30 code means. According to http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html, the 2 means 2 pinion, open differential.

Originally Posted by red90toyota
It is challenging with it being your everyday driver and being in school and all, I was there just a few years ago. I think the R150 was only offered in trucks with a 6 cylinder. If I were going through the trouble of doing the swap I would rule the 4 speed out if possible. I wonder if the difference between the w55 and w56 is the gear ratios of the gears in the trans, does your manual list the ratios?
School is really eating up my time for a project like this. I would rather wait and make sure I have enough time (and money) to do this right the first time. I would hate to get half way through this project, find out that I need some hard to get part, and not have my truck the next day. Besides, my A43D works fine so there is no urgency to start this project.

It looks like my transmission of choice is either the W55 or W56 (for 2WD models). I have not looked at the gear ratios yet but I suspect the W56 might be geared lower for 1st. Maybe not. I will post up when I compare the two.

Also, my carburetor rebuild has been postponed to next weekend. I had to check out the 2017 auto show to look at cars and trucks 30 years newer than my truck. I have noticed that many cars look very similar.

Anyway, I will post up what I find later when I have time to do more research.

Last edited by old87yota; 01-30-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM

Okay, I just looked at the Wikipedia page that RBX posted.

Here is what I found out:

W55
This was the first of the aluminium-cased W-series transmissions. The W55 replaced the steel-cased W50, reducing the vehicle weight by 10 kg. It features mostly in 4 cylinder powered vehicles.
Ratios:
  • First Gear: 3.566:1
  • Second Gear: 2.056:1
  • Third Gear: 1.384:1
  • Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
  • Fifth Gear: 0.85:1
  • Reverse: -4.091:1

W56
A common truck transmission that came in 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive varieties.Its ratios differ in comparison to the base W55 in the 1st and 2nd gears only; this is to allow a slightly heavier vehicle (truck) to get up to speed slightly quicker than if geared like a car.This was most likely accomplished by taking the W55 base gears and changing the 1st and 2nd gear sets, as the rest of the transmission remains unchanged.Marlin Czajkowski, owner and CEO of Toyota-specific California-based rock crawling company Marlin Crawler, Inc., invented and popularized an A-through-E nomenclature system for 1985–1995 USA-market W56 transmissions.[3] These include the W56-A (1985), W56-B (1986–88), W56-C (1989–91), W56-D (1992), and W56-E (1993–95) variants of 4WD Toyota Hilux Pickup and 4Runner W56 transmissions. This system is used to distinguish between the five major design changes Marlin has identified throughout this year span. Diesel powered sedans and station wagons featured the W56 as well as some commercial class vehicles such as the Cressida 4 cylinder models. Ratios:
  • First Gear: 3.954:1
  • Second Gear: 2.141:1
  • Third Gear: 1.384:1
  • Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
  • Fifth Gear: 0.85:1
  • Reverse: -4.091:1

First and second gear are lower on the W56 and the rest of the gear ratios are the same.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 AM

Finding all the parts, doing tons of research to be sure you have the parts and you'll still miss something. It seems the way it goes. I agree probably not something to try to tackle when you need the truck to drive as your DD. Maybe a summer time project. I would make it into a Pre-runner style with the auto before I'd add the 5spd, or find a 2wd truck with a 5spd and drive it, save the awesome automatic truck for when you get tired of pushing in the clutch all the time and having to shift gears, sometimes deals can be had on those. It's a pain to hold my Starbucks cup and shift a manual trans. Keep posting up the info its a good read.