Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

2wd suspension helpers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd suspension helpers

Hey everyone!

Now that winter is here, I've put some weight in my 2wd '86 Pickup (that I just recently got on the road after almost 10 months of work). I'm realizing now that either my suspension is soft from being original and 30 years old or the 225/75-R16 tires I have on here are just huge for a 2wd rig.

Kumho Road Venture MT's 225/75-R16 (on new 16 inch rims instead of the stock 14's)
I have 4 fingers of space between tire and front left fender, with 3.5 inches of adjustment screw showing. Front right, I've adjusted to 4" of screw showing and I'm only at 3 fingers between tire and front right fender. I'm afraid to adjust any more in fear of going too far and actually breaking a torsion bar. I found these new torsion bars (https://swayaway.com/product/torsion...ta-pickup-2wd/), but am not quite ready to upgrade fully like that. I think I'll do that come my birthday in April.

How far would you feel comfortable cranking up the torsion bars?

I found these that are close to my normal shock absorbers (stock are 14.9" fully extended) and these are 14.3" fully extended. http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...196_6880_7413/

Do you think these would help the saggy front end without the need of cranking up my torsion bars?

I actually found those after I found these, which I think would help the rear end, especially with the weight I've thrown in the back. http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...376_6880_7413/

Those are actually an exact fit, same as my stock rear shock absorbers. I think these are in my future no matter what, they look cool and add 500lbs of load assist.

My rear bump stops were all screwed up, and just broke off when I tried to replace them. I got some cheap ones from somewhere online a few months ago, but realized I needed to reweld the frame where they connect in order to bolt them back on. I found these online also, and have been thinking of throwing these on instead of bump stops. I'll still need to do some welding to repair the few holes in the frame around the bolt holes for the bump stops, but I would prefer these (I think) because it actually does something rather than just work if I bottom out. http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...rchText=121600

What do you think? Would these be good upgrades or should I just get the upgraded torsion bars, and some actual leaf helper springs? I think totally new springs are just too much, and I didn't find much when I looked that weren't 4x4 or lifting or lowering springs.

Well, thanks for the advice (if I get any) and I'll post some pictures tomorrow of underneath when I get outside in this cold New England weather to take some!

Karl
Old 12-20-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I would NOT add those shocks to the front end. The Stock shock mounts are not designed to carry weight and they will most likely bend and fail. Besides the aftermarket torsions, look into lift spindles, and ball joint spacers. At one time, I had my stock torsions cranked up for about 2.5' of lift. It made the ride kind of rough but it was livable. On the rear, look for some longer lift shackles.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:16 AM

Hmm, didn't think about that, but good point. You wouldn't worry about cranking down the torsion bars? I really don't want to lift it, just get a bit more clearance around my tires.

I do like the idea of the helper springs to replace the bump stops, much more than leaf helper springs.

would you worry about adding in the rear spring shocks?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:09 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks like the tire has already started to peel off the front valence
Old 12-21-2016, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Looks like the tire has already started to peel off the front valence
ha it does look like that in the picture. It doesn't actually rub, there's like an inch and a half clearance, the valance is just bent.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by karlm-c
Hmm, didn't think about that, but good point. You wouldn't worry about cranking down the torsion bars? I really don't want to lift it, just get a bit more clearance around my tires.

I do like the idea of the helper springs to replace the bump stops, much more than leaf helper springs.

would you worry about adding in the rear spring shocks?
Take a measurement of where the bars are now and crank the torsions up. See if you like or can handle the stiffer ride. If not, undo them back to stock. Either way, you're going to need an alignment after messing with them though. I would do an add a leaf to the rear or lift shackles before doing the cheap coilovers you posted. I just don't trust them.
The only 2 ways to make more room for the tires is to lift it, or to start cutting out what the tires hit.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 PM

Anyone know of a place to just get good replacement leaf springs? Or does how straight mine look look normal? This doesn't seem like it should be normal....

Pretty damn flat...
Old 12-23-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert m
Take a measurement of where the bars are now and crank the torsions up. See if you like or can handle the stiffer ride. If not, undo them back to stock. Either way, you're going to need an alignment after messing with them though. I would do an add a leaf to the rear or lift shackles before doing the cheap coilovers you posted. I just don't trust them.
The only 2 ways to make more room for the tires is to lift it, or to start cutting out what the tires hit.
Changing the tire size changes the steering angle, you need an alignment already.

If you want to add coil overs you are going to have to do some reinforcements. Like has been said, those shock mounts aren't up for heavy-duty forces.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by karlm-c
Anyone know of a place to just get good replacement leaf springs? Or does how straight mine look look normal? This doesn't seem like it should be normal....

Pretty damn flat...
Yep, pretty damned flat, that is normal. I didn't ever find a great option for my 2wd. People tend to want to go lower not higher so no market for taller springs. You can try to have those rearched if you find a good shop but they won't hold but maybe half as long as they did originally, if done well.

I don't recall exactly but seems the OME stuff can be used with some extra work.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:06 AM

I trust my Toyota engineering, crank the torsion bar adjuster all you want, it's already sagging you can make them much worse.

I like the helper coils, hell that kits probably worth it just for the spring perch set. Autozone didn't give much details, height and spring rates? They look very short on the picture, more like a band aid vs the larger springs usually used for a Zuk mod, but hard to say.