Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Gun ban over?

Old 09-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is all true... but here in Texas guns are fun
Old 09-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Having trouble finding high capacity mags for my HK USP 45. Anyone seen any
Old 09-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
And look we have Less Armed robberies here, less shootings, less crime. hymmmmmmm

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/...Experiment.pdf

"Over the past decade, the
rate of violent crime in Canada has increased while in
the United States the violent crime rate has plummeted." That's a Canadian source, not a US source.

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/...-13-mauser.pdf

"Over the past decade, the Canadian homicide rate has declined about 25 percent, but the violent crime rate has not changed. In the US during the same period, both the homicide and the violent crime rates have plummeted by more than 40 percent."

And of course, here's some stats from the NRA-ILA.
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=78
Old 09-14-2004, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by wifesaysimadumbass
can a california resident buy an assault weapon outside of california? or are we just totally screwed i would like to own an AR

Youll either have to get a rimfire, (heard rumors that this could be coming up) or a single shot AR15. (yeah they make them)

all the info you need on that Kali-AR scene, is at ar15.com

Goodbye to a worthless piece of feelgood politics that none of the media accurately portrays the effects (or non effects) of.

M. Moore is a closet-Canadian I heard
Old 09-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if that's not all Moore is in the closet about...
Old 09-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
M. Moore is a closet-Canadian I heard
Rant on...
M. Moore is a Communist dousche bag!
Rant off...

Thank You for your time.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TDiddy
http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/...Experiment.pdf

"Over the past decade, the
rate of violent crime in Canada has increased while in
the United States the violent crime rate has plummeted." That's a Canadian source, not a US source.

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/...-13-mauser.pdf

"Over the past decade, the Canadian homicide rate has declined about 25 percent, but the violent crime rate has not changed. In the US during the same period, both the homicide and the violent crime rates have plummeted by more than 40 percent."

And of course, here's some stats from the NRA-ILA.
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=78

Ahhh Crap.. Can someone Secretly ship me a gun ?. I've never personally seen a hand gun (Other than what the cops have) Shot of allot of Rifles and stuff. But thats about it.

I just find it weird that there is so much "GUN LOVE" and gun type threads on this board.

USA
Old 09-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Nic

Wow, several posts since this morning.

On the Beretta subject Honger, he bought it earlier this summer perhaps. I'm not sure on the specific time, but I'm sure he will be delighted to know that if he can get two free magazines.

I'll let him know. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Can someone explain to me why we need assault weapons in the hands of anyone other than law enforcement and military personnel?

Don't get me wrong, guns are cool and most people on here know I appreciate them and the right to bear arms, however, aren't assault rifles such as Tech 9's, AK's, etc. going a bit far?

And before someone rips on Bush, my understanding is that Congress has to present it to him before he can sign off on it (correct me if I am wrong on that too).

Just bringing it up because I know there will be some intelligent and amusing responses.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Angry I'll Tell ya Why

So-called 'assault rifles' are semi-automatic firearms...nothing more. The ban that just expired did NOTHING to stop someone from committing violence if they were so inclined. Plenty of cheaper firearms to choose from, not to mention knives, bats, hammers, etc.
BTW...2nd amendment does not use hunting to qualify an individual's right to keep and bear arms. It talks about a militia.
People that are informed about firearms know that the expired ban was a joke. It accomplished nothing other than to intrude on law-abiding Americans. Don't even get me started.

Jim
Old 09-14-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Can someone explain to me why we need assault weapons in the hands of anyone other than law enforcement and military personnel?
Civil unrest. Here in LA, we've had two. One in the 60s and one in the 90s. Three of my parent's businesses were burned down. Might be different the next time around as many Korean Americans have learned their lesson that police only protect certain politically powerful and affluent neighborhoods.

Bob
Old 09-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, guns are cool and most people on here know I appreciate them and the right to bear arms, however, aren't assault rifles such as Tech 9's, AK's, etc. going a bit far?

And before someone rips on Bush, my understanding is that Congress has to present it to him before he can sign off on it (correct me if I am wrong on that too).

Just bringing it up because I know there will be some intelligent and amusing responses.
EDIT: changed carbines/rifles to "assault weapons" inre: bill names.

I can't think of a good reason for people to have assault weapons. However, I cant' think of a reason for why people should not be able to purchase an assault weapon.

As for Bush and the bill. He certainly isn't responsible for starting such legislation. But I think if you look back to 94, Clinton was a fairly vocal supporter of the bill (At least at signage - which gets people thinking about executives promoting legislation.).

More importantly, Bush said he'd sign the bill if it came before him. Do you think that was posturing to the vast majority of the voting public that was in favour of the bill (because of the violence in the name - that's my opinion)? Or do you think he's really in favour of the bill?

Last edited by Bennito; 09-14-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Good responses guys, keep them coming. I really liked your response Bob, great example.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Banned

The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
-Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

The ban was unconstituional to begin with. The second amendment clearly states that anyone can own any gun and Congress cannot enact any law to the contrary. The authors of the Constitution saw the right to own guns as the second most important issue for the future of the United States. Its still the second most important right that we all enjoy.

Rouge cops everywhere like the ones that tried to kill Rodney King are going to think twice before they make traffic stops for no reason. The sunset of the weapons ban is the dawn of a new era of citizens reclaiming their freedom from government.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:15 PM

Christian,

I won't lie to you: I've always wanted an "assault weapon". I enjoy the shooting sports (wish I could get out more often), and being a history buff, its kinda nice to hold a piece of history...even if it didn't see 4 months action in Vietnam!

The riots and the Bush Sr signing of the Assault Weapons Ban in 94 (?) was reason enough to buy one before the ban went into effect.

Do I find it necessary to have an assault weapon? No. But is it good insurance just in case some crazy mob threatens to burn down my city block or business? Absolutely.

Ben:

Alluding and a little tangential to what you said, I have read several opinion pieces and columns on why the Democrats have largely dropped their political emphasis on being the champions of anti-gun legislation. Many Democratic columnists believe that had Al Gore not been such a vociferous opponent of the 2nd amendment during the last election, he would've carried the very states that sunk his election campaign---including his own native state of Tennessee. How's that for a smack in the arse?

Oddly enough and quite possibly yet another strategic brain fart for the Kerry campaign, now Kerry is criticizing Pres Bush for "allowing" the sunset of the AWB. This is in flip flop contrast to his union rally last week where he was holding a Browning Auto5 shotgun (i believe it was the model) that could've been banned under the gun laws he supports. If Kerry were smart, he'd do some more hunting w/ Democratic-friendly hunters in some field or forest! Which is to say, perception is everything and for Democrats, trying to convince the electorate that Democrats are pro-gun is like trying to convince Black voters that the Republicans are not trying to "keep them down".

Bob
Old 09-14-2004, 01:16 PM

Years ago, I choose to defend myself with a 1911a1 .45. The "perp" pointing a .22 Ruger single action revolver, surrendered to the police and I was cleared "no charges filed". However, in response to a local law my firearm was confiscated for 7 days. I went to the Police station to retrieve my firearm after waiting 7 days. I brought my original receipt and a conceal weapon permit. I was given notice, by the Police Lt., of what laws I had broken and which ones the police could still charge me with.

If you elect to carry then a recommend a second firearm incase the primary is claimed by the police.

If you don’t elect to own a firearm that’s a choice and I respect your decision. Non-violence is still my primary response and I think Gandhi was a true “hero”..
Old 09-14-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I belive it was Thomas Jefferson who once said "The single greatest need for the people to bear arms is to protect against tyranny in the government."

That may seem silly today but if not for the gun, we would all still have Tea-Time and taxation without representation etc.

It is unlikely, but more importantly, possible that the people of America could once more need to capture citizenship from a tyranical government. Picture a post nuculer terrorist attack in say, 4 major cities. The military would decend upon the city streets. Its possible that the president would be killed and a lower class governmental offical like the postmaster general would become the president and rule the country under oppressive martial law. The president (Bush or anyone) could also become evil with his new power with the country being under attack. This stuff is entierly possible.

With all that in mind, what would you fight back with, right now? I know I have 8 guns and the skills to use them. I hope I never have to shoot anything alive that is not in season, but I recegnize the possibility of it being a necessity. A well armed people keeps the government in check. Even having the military and all its fancy weapons against the people would not be enough to quelch an army of angry, armed citizens.

Don't belive me, talk to the US soldiers in Iraq.

In short, a gun is the great equalizer, the great protector and a useful tool of survival. I'm shopping for a centerfire semi-auto now.

Lamm

Last edited by 4x4Lamm; 09-14-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:32 PM

Lamm,

Great point re the populace's "check and balance"

Bob
Old 09-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How are "assault" weapons any different from any other semi automatic firearm? The answer: they look mean. Yes, they have high capacity magazines and bayonet lugs, but how many times have you seen the local gang banger carrying around a AK47 with a bayonet fixed walking down the street? Never.

Contrary to popular belief, these kinds of weapons are NOT the weapon of choice for the average criminal. Simple fact is they are too big to carry around under a jacket.

My favorite analogy for this question is why are cars able to go over 75 mph? Why is the average citizen allowed to have a sports car or motorcycle that's able to out run a police car? I think that all cars should have a top speed of 75 mph, except for law enforcement.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

I will answer your question with a question? What justification do you have to ban assault weapons? The Clinton clan had a hard time justifying this, but they controlled thing at the time so they got this useless legislation through. Coincidentally, the dems lost control of the house and the senate in the next elections and it has been attributed largely to the assault weapons ban.

My AR-15 that I purchased during the ban was in effect is only modified in 2 ways.
1. No flash supressor
2. No collapsable stock

How do either of those items make this gun any more dangerous? My Collapsable stock is pinned open so it will not collapse but otherwise is the same stock.

"guns don't kill people, Stupid M*F*ers with guns kill people" - Chris Tucker/Friday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gun ban over?