Vendors Build-Ups (Build-Up Section) Vendors can showcase customer builds here

1984 toyota pickup build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 toyota pickup build thread

To begin with I had a 1982 Toyota pickup that I picked up out of a junkyard in red lodge Montana for 400 bucks and a knife. (I make knives) I owned it for 2 years and did a lot of work to it. Lift, shackles, new rings and bearings, 35's, brand new fenders and hood, weber carb, rebuilt front knuckles, flatbed, seats from a 1995 4runner, rear locker, custom built center console, sound system, 12k winch, and a sick paint job (done myself). Also a few more things, but you get the gist. I took it to school and ended up rolling it. I rolled it about 2 months after I painted it and it jacked the cab up pretty good. I took a high lift jack and jacked the roof back up and drove it home 4 hours through Yellowstone park to cody wy. Back home I had a 84 pickup that was pretty hashed and had started getting coolant in the oil, so it was parked. It was already lifted (spring and body) but someone chopped the top on the cab making it a convertible. I didnt like the chopped top when I bought it a few years back so I picked up another cab from the junkyard and it had been sitting for a couple years. Well this summer when I got back from school, I decided to tear into the 84 and make it my new baby. I got rid of the old 82 cab and the old 84 cab, I had rebuilt the front knuckles on both front axles. I took the 82 axle and springs with trail gear shackles and slapped them under my little bros 82 trekker. Parted the rest of the 82 out, but kept the engine. The mating surfaces were all nice and flat and within specs, but I had it cleaned, and the cylinders bored 20 over and honed by the machine shop. When i got the block back i painted it a nice orange color by vht. I ordered a rebuild kit, and painted the oil pump, water pump, valve cover and oil pan a nice dark blue by duplicolor. I painted the front timing cover the same orange as the block. I picked up a 20r head out of a 1985 toyota pickup from the junkyard and stripped it down. It looked very decent so I had it soda blasted and cleaned. I left the head the nice aluminum color. I ordered the dual spring valve spring kit with titanium retainers from lcengineering, along with an adjustable timing gear. I enlarged and polished the exhaust ports a little. The old valves were all straight and I cleaned them up on the wire wheel and reused them. I lapped the valves and made them so they will seal nice and good. I am running the cam 801-325r from toyhead auto. The crank main and rod clearances were good so I assembled the bottom end using royal purple assembly lube (stuff is awesome) I can not put the head and timing stuff together yet because I am waiting on rocket shafts to get here. I am running new rocker shafts and rocker arms. When I get to that point, I will use a fel pro hg (have not had problems with them in the past) I have on the way dual weber 40 dcoe carbs and the cannon intake, along with all the head block off plates from lcengineering. (As a backup I have the good old 32/36). That is where I am at right now with the engine. With the truck, I stripped the cab I was switching and put it in the garage to get worked over. I wanted to do something a little different then the 82 (I still have lots of clear and pigment that I used for it) so I ordered some raptor liner off amazon, did some body work and all the prep, and mixed a nice blue pigment with it. (It was the tintable stuff) then I sprayed it. I still need to do the door jams, but I am on a tight schedule to have everything done in about 3 weeks so I will probably not get to it before I go back to school. I went with my buddy to a junkyard mainly for him and I ended up getting a decent japanese/Canadian style bed for 100 bucks. I am In the process of sand blasting all the surface rust spots and self etch priming them in preparation for the bed to be painted the same as the cab was. When i pulled the old cab and bed off, I ditched the body lift and used the energy suspension poly bushing kit. For right now I may throw some 6 inch shackles on the rear springs because it had lift blocks and my u bolt flip kit off my 82 would not work with them, so I ditched them. I have a chevy 63 swap kit (everything but the 63s) but I will not have time to do them this summer. It has extended brake lines all around. It will have ac once I get the engine back in, the cab is an art with a glass sunroof. I have a gm 1 wire alternator with the bracket. Power steering. It has been a fun summer project so far and I will continue to post as I do things to it. I will add pictures now.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:01 PM

My 82 i rolled after paint

I miss this beast.

Head fresh from machine shop

Block fresh painted

Bros 82 trekker

Back glass

Fresh painted

84 with nasty old cab on it. (Old 82 in background)

Right after i bought the 84 3 years ago

My 82 i rolled plastidipped before i painted it.

Head with valve cover sitting on

Bottom side of i stalled valves

Dual spring valve springs

Dash reinstalled after wiring harness change

Enlarged exhaust ports (right one wasnt finished yet)

The old bed

The assembled bottom end

Dirty valves

Here are some picts

The new bed

Last edited by Bgiff93; 08-22-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:12 AM

It is coming along well.

Last edited by Bgiff93; 08-30-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Yes it is! But I think you put this in the wrong section!
Old 08-30-2018, 08:42 AM

Oops, my apologies.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM

Where is the right section?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
I have not seen that color combination on a 22R. I kind of like it!

Originally Posted by Bgiff93
Where is the right section?
The correct section is here: 84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section), but do not start a new thread!

You will have to have a forum moderator move your existing thread over to the correct section.