Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

URBAN ASSAULT'S 1999 4Runner Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Nice gas tank skid... I wish they made one for the 2nd gens! ugh!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Nice gas tank skid... I wish they made one for the 2nd gens! ugh!
Thanks. I seriously considered making it myself. Though, sometimes I start thinking, how much is time worth? And, if somebody has already invented the wheel, and has put quality thought/craftmanship into it, I will support him/her.

I may make one (with more holes for heat dissipation) for the cat/muffler side. This will tie in to the modular full-skid idea.

However, I am quickly becoming conscious of how heavy my truck is becoming. I believe the fuel tank skid was approx. 45lbs. Add that to the Budbuilts, plate bumpers, winch, 35" spare, sliders, and all the cargo. I get just as excited about bits and pieces that can be removed, as I do about new bits and pieces.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
thats the big downside about the runners... they are HEAVY when armored...

your rig looks great! might steal some ideas for my builds...
Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Have you actually driven up on a scale yet to see how much it weighs with all the mods? Mine weighs 5000 lbs, I bet yours isn't far behind.

Your undercarriage sure is clean, it looks brand new!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Have you actually driven up on a scale yet to see how much it weighs with all the mods? Mine weighs 5000 lbs, I bet yours isn't far behind.

Your undercarriage sure is clean, it looks brand new!
That is a great idea. I bet it is 5000.

Thanks! The undercarriage is clean, because I accidentally did this to my truck:

It took hours to clean. It was thick like caramel. I put on a swim suit, laid on my creeper and worked from back to front with a pressure washer.

I hate mud. I try to avoid it. I do not understand those who love it and seek it. In this part of the country, there are some great hill climbs, but after the descent, there is usually mud. Take the good with the bad.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
thats the big downside about the runners... they are HEAVY when armored...

your rig looks great! might steal some ideas for my builds...
Thanks! Most of my ideas were inspired by others on this forum as well. I try to put a little spin on each idea to evolve it. Let me know if you need any info. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM

I made a few changes to the sway bar and the adjustable coil overs, and then took it out for a quick test run.

The suspension always acts like the old judges scale, with the 2 trays hanging in balance. You can't change one side without affecting the other. Therefore, a 1" sway bar drop bracket in the front (4crawler.com), and coil-over adjustment has me rubbing in the back again. Will need some more trimming on the rear bumper.

My fire hydrant pose:

And while I had the skid plate off for the sway bar, I gave Bud a quick re-paint:

I have a few more projects going as well. I hope to post up some pics soon. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Holy Crapoli! That thing is SICK! haha. Very nice work, man.... I've been coveting one of these model 4Runners for a long time... Would LOVE to get one to this level, if I can ever get my hands on one worth buying/worth what they're asking, lol.

I've not always loved the 'all black' thing.... Some vehicles, it just doesn't look right/they've not done it right... I'D GRATEFULLY roll this thing!

Look forward to seeing whatEVER is next, Steve!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM

PS> Like the compressor mounting, armor, all of it.. REALLY pushes me to get my sliders on, some under-armor, etc. THANKS! haha.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Holy Crapoli! That thing is SICK! haha. Very nice work, man.... I've been coveting one of these model 4Runners for a long time... Would LOVE to get one to this level, if I can ever get my hands on one worth buying/worth what they're asking, lol.

I've not always loved the 'all black' thing.... Some vehicles, it just doesn't look right/they've not done it right... I'D GRATEFULLY roll this thing!

Look forward to seeing whatEVER is next, Steve!
Nice! I finally got a Chef post on my build-thread. All the cool kids have 'em! Thank you for the compliments. lol!
Thanks for checking in.

Last edited by Urban Assault; 06-12-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Hahaha... Well, you're very welcome, sir... cuz that thing IS, INDEED, SICK! hehe

PS> PM'd ya...... And take care, Steve
Old 06-14-2012, 05:38 PM

what an awesome rig!!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Drgoodspd
what an awesome rig!!
Thank you! I love working on, and evolving the truck and would do it regardless. However it is great to receive compliments like this, and get a thumbs up on the road.

I am not sure this really qualifies as a "build" but I installed a Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel Cover. My factory leather in the 12o'clock position looked really bad from sun exposure and the wear and tear from my hand. The install is time consuming, but is not difficult.

It took over an hour, but I was not keeping track. The kit comes with the leather cover, needle and leather cord. Yes, you stitch it yourself. I get a bit of catharsis out of projects like this, so I do not mind the work.

The needle did break with about 4 inches left to lace. I had to "MacGyver" a paper clip to finish up. You kids can ask your Dad about that.

I love the way it looks and feels. I see hand stitched leather steering wheel covers on Italian super-cars. Same feeling, until you step on the gas of course. They have tan, which would have matched the factory leather, though I liked the contrast of the dark brown.

More to come soon, which actually involves some fab and better qualifies for the 'build' thread.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I had one on the Bronco II and will prolly get a wheelskin for the 4Runner when it comes time. Had the truck for 10 years-ish and the cover was really durable and looked good for almost all of those years. Nice!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM

JUST STOP! ....... you're gonna force me to scratch that itch and grab a 3rd Gen! hahaha.

Looks great, Steve!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:15 AM

yo details on your LEDs under the headlights please
Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Dude, where you at? hahaha.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by paynemw
yo details on your LEDs under the headlights please
I used the Hella Dayline DRL's

These: http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...unning-lights/

I got them from polyperformance.com because I had a coupon and a gift certificate.

I fab'd them into the little trim piece just below the headlight. First I removed the little trim piece, and cut out the dimensions of the lens using a dremel cut-off wheel. Mounted the light from behind the trim piece and attached using small 1.25" L brackets from Lowes. Sorry I don't have any pics of the install as I did it before I was a Yotatech member.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Dude, where you at? hahaha.
Ha! Sorry I've been neglecting my thread. I usually wheel all summer, and upgrade/repair all winter. I have a few projects going but nothing too exciting (cargo area stuff). Will post-up soon. Thanks for the prompt!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM

Just a quick update:
My schedule opened up a bit this week (I have been waiting for this) and I snuck out to an offroad park about 1.5hr away. I had a great day out (because it was not work) and my rig performed perfectly.

I went to Durhamtown off road park. Their website is here:
http://www.durhamtownoffroad.com/

Here are a few pics:

Pictures never do it justice. This is a steep down hill section leading to a dry creek bed.

I did a more in depth trail report here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100...eorgia-257590/

Thanks for checkin' in.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 PM

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE! hehe... Sup Steve? Looks like a great time... I'ma have to get back out asap! haha... CV Reboot first

Quick Reply: URBAN ASSAULT'S 1999 4Runner Build-up Thread