Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Tiki Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiki Build Thread

Picked up a 2002 SR5, 250,000 miles, silver, blacked out emblems. Thats what came with the runner. now here is what I've done...

Green = planning on installing
white = Already done

Suspension
Toytech 3" Ultimate Lift Kit with the 5150 bilstein's........Addicted Offroad leaf sprung awesomeness
1" front Diff drop
1.5" rear coil spacer lift
1.25" wheel spacers
sway bars removed

Performance
4" Deck Plate mod,
Intake Silencer Mod,
New OEM Catalytic Converters
VSC Switch (AndyMod 2.0)
Tundra Brake Conversion to 231mm

Headlights/Taillights
HID Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) (very pleased with these)
LED brake lights
LED turn signals
Rigid Industries Dually D2's

Tires and Wheels
285/75/R16 BFG AT TA-KO's
stock wheels sanded, primed, and painted with black bed liner

Aesthetics
removed running boards
Front end painted black
SR5 stickers on driver/passenger doors
black hood
white LED gauge lights

There are many more mods I plan on doing, this first post will be updated with everything I have done. Pictures and write-ups are going to be later in the thread

Here are some pics that have, don't have one before the lift...

Lift Installed

The Kit

Just the suspension lift...I am on the left

Coilovers and Spacers

new tires

lift with tires

Intake Silencer Mod

Deck Plate

I am more than happy to answer any questions on any of this stuff

Last edited by jlehner; 10-17-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 AM

This looks great Jake... keep it up.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good. Give that engine bay a bath!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks Chris, how did the rear lift go?

rworegon I plan on doing just that tomorrow. would have done it today but I had just painted my grill and didn't want to ruin it before paint completely dried. ill have pics up later.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:41 PM

the rear lift is going on monday... so i'll let you know when i do it... hoping it goes swimmingly.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 AM

today I installed the newly painted grill, I like it but think the front needs more...like a black front bumper, i've also seen on the forum a silver 4runner with a black hood, and black painted trim under the headlights, It really adds a nice touch...hmmmmmmm. Anyways, also cleaned the engine compartment a little. pics below

Before

After

painting the grill. sanded, primed, 3 coats black, and one very light coat gloss.

Also, I live in an apartment, with no garage. So I have been keeping everything in the back of my runner...picked up little electrical kit for on the road emergencies today too.

And I added my toytec lift sticker, first one on Tiki, I think it looks kinda good

Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Stickers arrived. Originally they were "SR5 Off Road Toyota Tacoma" buuuuuuuuuut I really liked the "sr5 off road" look, its a little different from the ever so popular "TRD off road" sticker so I figured I would get em and cut the "tacoma" off. I may even ditch the "toyota". who knows. the only tough part is...placing them on Tiki.

Last edited by jlehner; 03-12-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Stickers are installed....I went with a different location than is normally seen. again they are different stickers so why not a different spot too. Im satisfied with the location and how they turned out. Didn't use the soap/water method but still finished with not bubbles

Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM

painted wheels black.

painted the wheels black. sanding of all the surfaces took a while, but primed and finished with black spray on bed liner. I wanted something tough but not as rough as Duraback. This is just a test run to see if I like the look. If i still like it after a while, I will have them powder-coated or purchase some black steel wheels for a more permanent and stronger wheel

Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM

I like the black wheels with the silver paint. I haven't seen a sticker put there before, looks pretty good.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why did you pull off the silencer?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM

The silencer is sort of a damper. There is a slit cut out from the plastic tube that opens up to the box. It lets the air fill the box during the small intermittent time periods that the intake is switching cylinders, though its not much. I took it out to allow for a more consistent air flow. Also it provides for a more highpitched throaty sound above 2000rpm, so gassing it is fun. yet when you maintain Highway speeds its not loud and annoying like an 18" magnaflow exhaust.

Here is a link better explaining it...it has a picture of the groove cut out of the silencer tube. and much more words about the mod.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f130...-2000-a-75168/
Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM

New cats arrived

new cats, and new polyurethane bushings. goin in tomorrow. been waiting 4 days for the bushings, finally. Also have a 1.5" spacer lift for the rear end that arrived at the shop today, those are goin in as well. I m only having a shop put the spacers and cats in cause my apartment complex has been getting on my ass about doing work in the apartment parking lot.

not going to be installing the low profile bump stops, those are pretty much useless.

Last edited by jlehner; 03-20-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 PM

sharp runner, I like the black wheels with the silver aswell, I think mine is too dark already otherwise I would do the same. what are your futuer plans?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM

so I wrote this up on a friend of mine's thread, I'm just gonna copy paste it on here.

As far as my rig goes.......

I thought about a front and rear locker, but 3rd gen runners have center diff locks and an E-LOCK system. all that is is a system that activates the brake on the spinning wheel to cause the differential to turn the other wheel. thus theoretically getting out of the stuck situation. so im not gonna touch it for now, see how I do.

right now I have been having some catalytic converter probs, but they do have 246K miles em... so I have two new ones on order, just got to bolt them on when they arrive. ( I need two cause its a car from Cali and needs to meet California Emission standards, super lame but whatever).

Planning on installing polyurethane bushings on my front and rear anti-sway bars (stabilizer bars, sway-bars...whatever you want to call them), when they arrive that is. and hell I might even remove the rear sway-bar completely to allow more travel, maybe the fronts too, gonna have to test it out first.

Currently my front tires rub on the wheel well so I am going to have to turn my coilovers up in the front all the way for the full 3" lift, I am waiting for a 1.5" spacer lift to arrive so I can lift the rear up to maintain a "level" look on the runner. with the lift i should clear my front tires and get a beefier look i think. I may need to install a longer brake hose in the rear to allow for the change in height, but ill only know for sure after the spacers are installed.

I also have a new rear differential breather on order so I can extend it up into the gas fill door with some flexible tubing. that will keep it from getting wet when romping through mud and water. Its actually a mod I would recommend to everyone with an off road vehicle, cause getting water in your diff is one of the last things you want to happen. and thats usually where water gets in.

gonna cut into the electrical system and install a VSC control switch, which will allow me to turn my VSC on and off as I please, pretty much allowing me to do donuts. rather than letting the onboard computer cut the power to the wheels because they are slipping. and it helps in stuck situations with nobody to pull you out.

Also gonna break into the wiring and install a switch to turn my DRL's (daytime running lights) on and off. Its annoying when your sitting in a parking lot trying to chill and listen to radio, and your lights are on so everyone thinks your a creeper spying on someone.

bumpers are also on my mind, but i just need to find the right ones, not to concerned about 'em.

and today I ordered an HID Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S). I have been wanting these lights for a while and am particularly excited about getting them.

thats a taste of what I have planned haha

and black wheels might be too much for your rig however have you thought of a dark grey, almost smoke color? might be a good look...but thats your call.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM

EXCELLENT!!! Wish I had the financial means to buy stuff for my rig ... My lift consists of 4 stock shocks, torsion bars cranked to the max and 4x4x8 inch wood blocks in the rear ... with no brake line extender ...

I was able to pay for new tires. BFG Mud terrain K/O 2 or something or other.

I want to remove the running boards, but the girlfriend can't get in without it. Searching for an alternative, but can't locate any ...

The 33"x12.50x15 have torn off the front plastic that used to go on the running boards ...
Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sliders!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Rear Differential Breather Extension

oh sliders are next, that was my list for the last time I was home. I am going offshore tonight to work for the next two weeks, sliders and and HID headlight exchange are happening when I return.

here are some pics of my rear diff breather extension... and a cool pic, the timing was perfect, i had dropped my keys and as I was coming up saw the opportunity for a great picture.

It cost me all of about $20 and 30 minutes of my time.

I ordered 2 parts, a union fitting used as an intake manifold fitting (part number 90404-51319) and a small breather plug (part number 90930-03136) from toyotaparts4u.com for about $12 shipped. also picked up some 10' of tubing, I only used about 5', some Teflon tape, and 2 hose clamps at home depot

perfect timing...
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM

HID Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) Install

So this is a great and glorious and sad day all in one, my HID's arrived however I am leaving to go work offshore for 2 weeks. I would have loved to install these today but its just gonna have to wait. DAM YOU WORK SCHEDULE!!!!

I will post up the install with pics when I return.

HID Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:54 PM

HID install

Okay, I'm back from working, and got plenty of time to play around with some new HID headlights. Plan on doing the job on saturday. I would do it tomorrow but I'm meeting a guy to potentially pick up a bike, If I get the bike, ill have something to get around on at night while the lights are out of the 4runner. Gonna paint the shrouds black, along with the original reflective headlight housing and the little trim piece directly below the headlight. I think it will create a nice fully black front end look, next is the black hood, and blacking out the chrome on the bumper.

painted the shroud, and reflective housing black, mounted the projectors and here is what it looks like.

Baking

painting

Assembly
v

mounted: before and after

Low beams

low beams

Last edited by jlehner; 04-06-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Tiki Build Thread