Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread

Hey guys, recently got my 4runner and am planning some mods. So I figured I'll keep the progress in here.

Here's it in original condition from previous owner. They didn't know much about it, used to be their sons vehicle but here's what I found.

The Hunt for Goodies left by the previous owner
-------------------------------------------------------

First of all was already wired for sub/amp but had a massive box in it, so I took it out and put in my smaller sub that sits angled towards the back seat, so now I have a lot more room in the back.

Second, I think it had a small lift via aftermarket shocks, maybe 1" or 2". They are N.S.O.R Off Road Series but can't really find any info on them, they are older.

Also I found an awesome digital tire pressure gauge.

I mean lets face it, the best thing about this truck was the lack of rust, it had been stored underground or in a garage most of it's life, so I will keep the tradition.

First things first
-------------------

Did fluid changes and spark plugs, runs great.

Cleaned everything, sprayed some rust check protector in quite a few areas of the undercarriage and in the frame. It'll be garage kept so not too worried, but our roads up here use a lot of sand/salt in the winter.

Ordered new tires. My buddy new a tire guy who said I could fit 33's with minimal rubbing on upper control arm at full turn, but I opted for BFG A/T 31x10.5R15's, still need to get them put on will posted pics after.

Rims had some corrosion so I sanded it all off, smoothed out my rims and painted them flat black. I used Dupli color, 3 coats primer, 3 coats paint so we'll see how it holds up. If it wears I'll get some plasti dip.

Mods to do fairly soon
--------------------------

Need to repaint my grill and rear licence plate plastic to match flat black rims I think.

The motorized radio antenna was broken when I got it, the motor is still good but I'm thinking of just putting a taco whip on there instead, since they are both about $60 each anyways.

Want to beef up my headlights. Was thinking of attempting a projector retro fit on some 99 clear headlights but I might just do an HID conversion or something, still with 99 or so clear headlights.

Also I need to fix some interior lights, so while I'm at it I might get some colored LEDs, did it in my last car and looked good with blue LEDs.

Think that's it for now, in the spring I might look into exhaust, mainly a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:14 PM

New Tires

Alright got my new BFG A/Ts 31x10.5R15. Gotta fix up my rims now because of the weights but I think it turned out good and it fixed my steering wobble at speed. The black out begins. Next rear plastic with license plate and grill.

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-2013-10-24-12.09.52.jpg
Old 10-28-2013, 01:49 PM

they look good in black, and i'd add fender flairs if it was mine. Nice truck
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Thanks. Ya I gotta fix up the new rim weights. I was thinking some bolt on fender flares but haven't really found anything, know of any places to order some?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 PM

i plastidipped my wheels too and while driving i could hear a ping every now and then. Turns out my wheel weights were flying off at 80+mpg. How annoying
Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Flares i'm not sure. I'd pull them off a 4Runner Limited of the same year.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Ya maybe I'll hit up a junk yard, need a new rear driver taillight anyways. Previous owner cracked then glued it, looks pretty crappy.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM

Fixed up rims

Painted weights black since new tires were put on and balanced.

Close up (Bah, I'll fix up and repost)

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-2013-11-01-08.44.17.jpg

Last edited by specialblend; 11-04-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM

So I haven't been on in a while but recently my rear diff grenaded, tried H4 to get back to town and my axel slid out. Luckily I pulled over quick and stopped in time, but the housing was resting on the pavement. Was at the shop for 2 weeks, they found another housing and assy nearby and rebuilt the backend, can finally drive again! Feels so good.

There has been a knocking when I hit small bumps and I found that my rear trac / panhard bar was loose at the bottom end because the bushing was worn down. So I ordered a Sonoran Steel adjustable one, just waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully that fixes up my slight wobbles/shimmy and makes everything feel solid.

As well I need to replace my sway bar bushings soon, but have heard mixed reviews about prothane polyurethane bushings, that they make noise? Maybe it's better to just find some OEM type rubber bushings?

I think my main summer project is going to be sanding away as much rust and corrosion as I can and try some rust converter and paint over top. Mainly for my new (used) rear axel housing. Think it's a waste of time or worth doing? also any tips from anybody on the best ways they've prevented or slowed down rust on already rusted parts? (Don't say replace with something new).

Also my uncle was surprised that I got a used axel housing and not a new one. Can you even get a brand new 97 4runner axel housing and assy from Toyota?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-img_0031.jpg
Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-img_0027.jpg
Old 05-08-2014, 01:17 PM

Ordered some new sway bar bushings and getting parts tomorrow for the rear diff breather mod. Finally back in drivable condition so now I'm focused on getting everything tuned up and in good working order so I can get off road.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 PM

So got the rear diff breather mod done today. Here are some pics of how it turned out.

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-photo-1.jpg
Union attached to diff, clamped on hose.

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-photo-2.jpg
Gave it quite a bit of slack for movement. Wasn't sure exactly how much but I can always tighten it up a bit if it hits anything.

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-photo-3.jpg
Zip tied up along fuel filler tube.

I managed pull out most of the rubber wall around the fuel fill tube and mount the breather to the tube just behind the rubber so it's not pressed against anything and is pretty secure and out of the way.

Got some rear drum vibrations and it was super hot. So I was able to back off the adjuster but I spun my wheels while jacked up and there's definitely a slow spot so I'm sure that drum is warped a bit. Going to see if a shop can machine it for me or have to get new drums and just do a full rear brake job.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 PM

Well, got my rear passenger drum machined true so brakes feel good, no heat or oil smells so think we're good.

Get my Sonoran Steel adjustable trac bar tomorrow and some poly sway bar bushings front and rear. Should feel a lot more stable when that's all replaced. Will post some pics when I get those installed.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:56 PM

Finally got to do some off roading now that the runner is solid again. Took a few pics

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-10380135_10154159150225564_8116453197098262218_o.jpg
Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-10333430_10154159150210564_5451534254331457514_o.jpg
Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-10348634_10154159150215564_2481609724511323772_o.jpg
Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM

So I replaced my front sway bar bushings last night. Noticed I got 27mm fronts and on my old ones it says 26mm but was able to get them on and the U clamp or w/e all bolted back on, but it was a real PITA.

They are all snug and as tight as they were before and are going to get. Went for a drive and tested them out, feels 10x better than the old worn out stock ones.

Took me about 2.5 hours because I had to file down the corrosion on my end links just to get the new bushings back on since they were new and super tight.

The rear bushings look like it should be easier to access and replace. Going to attempt tonight.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 PM

Taco whip + rear antenna Y connector installed

Finally got a new antenna. Ended up going for the Taco whip, was a pain to get the new wire back in but once I figured it out it wasn't so bad.

Also got the Y connector to attach the back window antenna as well, so I have both working, FM quality isn't great but could be due to me living in the valley between mountains, so if I drive down the highway and some trees block the signal it gets a bit of static, will see how it is next time I'm in the city.

Seems pretty tough, looks nice, pretty stealth against dark background, fits with what I'm going for

Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-img_0094.jpg Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread-img_0096.jpg
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Just installed a new clutch master cylinder, did this spring mod (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/f...bushing-19137/) and bled the line, clutch feels way better!

My pedal was getting stuck to the floor. I think if you did this spring mod and bled the line it should fix the issue, my fluid was super black so it needed a bleed asap.

Spring is hitting the old springs groove metal bit on the clutch pedal at full press in. Going to rig up a bolt assembly to offset the spring from where the top part is attached up in behind my lower dash panel which will give it it's own space and not clash with the pedal part.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Just replaced the rack guide yesterday and it feels a lot better and no more clunk!

Also did the full seafoam treatment into the cylinders, bit in some fresh oil for the crankcase and some in the gas tank. Not a huge difference, but it for sure feels better.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Sharp looking rig, I dig the black, almost as much as my red
Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Thanks Rattle. I'll have to get more pictures of what I've been working on, mostly maintenance lately.

Recently I changed the steering rack bushings to Energy Suspension and it's a huge difference, feels great. Still have some play in the front, can really hear it on a washboard forestry road, so looking into replacing inner & outer tie rods, lower ball joints and all sway bar end links.

Quick Reply: Stealth 97 4runner Build-Up Thread