Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4biker
I'll be honest - I'm not sure that I've heard my 4Runner "moo" before. Is this problem exclusive to '96's?
this was exclusive to the 1996 4Runners (and 1995 and 1996 Tacoma trucks); here is some more information referencing the factory Technical Service Bulletin

https://sites.google.com/site/bugeye...unner-evapbuzz
Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Makes sense - thanks. Go 96er's!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
4biker...You'd know if it was mooing, it's a unique sound for a truck to make. Curiosity got hold of me last year so I switched boxes and paraphernalia with the 99. It didn't help.
I don't know if my mustard box cure is one or not yet, but she's not talking to me today. I will update.

I stuck the front hitch on. It sits just under the bumper valance, about 2" lower than the frame at the bottom. Wish it were a bit higher, even with the frame would be nice though face it, my grocery getter isn't gonna see super gnarly stuff and being able to have a portable winch will be good.
19 1/2" from the ground at its lowest point.
It doesn't look too intrusive in the pics...

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM

That looks really good! Not too many 4runner owners can say they have that. So when do you plan on getting this portable winch?

Also, I'm looking into getting some LC wheels, same design as yours. I've heard there are some fitment issues with the LC wheels when tundra brakes are installed. I don't remember if you have tundra brakes or not, but would you know anything about that?

Last edited by stockwell45; 02-13-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
4biker...You'd know if it was mooing, it's a unique sound for a truck to make. Curiosity got hold of me last year so I switched boxes and paraphernalia with the 99. It didn't help.
I don't know if my mustard box cure is one or not yet, but she's not talking to me today. I will update.

I stuck the front hitch on. It sits just under the bumper valance, about 2" lower than the frame at the bottom. Wish it were a bit higher, even with the frame would be nice though face it, my grocery getter isn't gonna see super gnarly stuff and being able to have a portable winch will be good.
19 1/2" from the ground at its lowest point.
It doesn't look too intrusive in the pics...

That looks really good! I think the front hitch is a great option, saving tons over a full bumper/winch setup. If you pick up the smittybilt (or whichever it is) with the synthetic line and that would be very portable and easy to throw on when you need it. I wouldn't worry about approach angle - that steel will save your bumper and you'll still be able to climb whatever you want. Besides, it's a great way to carry more bikes.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hab, I like the front hitch and can moo solution too. Hope both work out great.

As for garden starts, I buy a few tomato plants in mid to late April and direct seed the rest.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stockwell45
That looks really good! Not too many 4runner owners can say they have that. So when do you plan on getting this portable winch?

Also, I'm looking into getting some LC wheels, same design as yours. I've heard there are some fitment issues with the LC wheels when tundra brakes are installed. I don't remember if you have tundra brakes or not, but would you know anything about that?
When I can afford it.....forever from now! I'm thinking a mid level winch, definitely with synthetic line. Steel's heavy and I'm not gettin' any younger.

I have the 231mm Tundra brakes, the bigger ones. The LC wheels won't fit without an adapter, I have a 1" adapter set from WabFab. Actually, 2 sets so the rear didn't look weird. I was using a 1/4" spacer and definitely don't recommend it, stick with an adapter.

Originally Posted by 4biker
If you pick up the smittybilt (or whichever it is) with the synthetic line and that would be very portable and easy to throw on when you need it. I wouldn't worry about approach angle - that steel will save your bumper and you'll still be able to climb whatever you want. Besides, it's a great way to carry more bikes.
Thanks for the reassurance! Hee hee, we already checked to see if the bike rack would fit. Right now I have the capability of carrying 8 bikes.....with only 4 people. I guess I could still take 4 bikes somewhere even if I'm towing the trailer.

Thanks for the reassurance on that hitch RW, Stockwell, 4biker. I needed it.
Now I've gotta do an oil change so I can stick my skids back on.

Last edited by habanero; 02-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM

I have the 231mm Tundra brakes, the bigger ones. The LC wheels won't fit without an adapter, I have a 1" adapter set from WabFab. Actually, 2 sets so the rear didn't look weird. I was using a 1/4" spacer and definitely don't recommend it, stick with an adapter.
since you have been running those 1" WabFab adapters, have you had any (premature) issues with your wheel bearings?

also, here's to your new front 2" receiver!

Last edited by hrt4me; 02-13-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

247,340 miles on the same bearings other than the right rear, and that one went when the truck was still stock. I've had the spacers, then quickly went to adapters for a total of just over 3 years now, about 45,000 miles. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Uck! Wachita has muck pits like that. I (mostly) avoid them. I saw a tree saver, but not a cable dampener. And that's.........about all I know about winching. Well, that and stay the heck out of the way.

Last edited by habanero; 02-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM

247,340 miles on the same bearings other than the right rear, and that one went when the truck was still stock. I've had the spacers, then quickly went to adapters for a total of just over 3 years now, about 45,000 miles.
not that I ever considered spacers anyway, but what made you quickly dump those in favor of the adapters instead?

also, did you find any need to order/use WabFab's flip socket to properly install your 1" spacers?

Uck! Wachita has muck pits like that. I (mostly) avoid them. I saw a tree saver, but not a cable dampener. And that's.........about all I know about winching. Well, that and stay the heck out of the way.
yes, definitely stay out of the bight!

in the meantime, before you eventually get whichever motorized/powered winch you end up choosing, you could always get a basic hand cranked come-along winch:

another option to keep in mind for the tool box is the Kochanski flip-flop winch (essentially a version of the Spanish windlass), which requires rope of sufficient length and tensile strength combined with two poles of appropriate length to provide leverage and structural strength to resist breaking:
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I can chime in on why the 1/4" spacers are terrible. They only leave a very tiny bit of thread on the wheel studs out and it is very easy to cross thread them when putting the wheels back on. Ask me how I know.

Pattycakes77 just found out he needs some space to clear the tundra adapters here and he is going to go with longer studs. Interesting idea. I'll wait for him to post up how it worked out though.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Hab
checking in... see kitty's thread for an explanation for my recent absence... interesting experiment...

gotta love those coleman's mustard tins... they've been around virtually unchanged since before WW II ... I've got an old toy steam ship my grandpa made for my uncle in the early 30's and he used a small coleman's tin for the wheel house... when I was a kid he used a large one to make a drag bucket {shovel} for the crane he made for me...
they are just so useful... and the mustard is of excellent quality too...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hrt4me
not that I ever considered spacers anyway, but what made you quickly dump those in favor of the adapters instead?
THIS!
Originally Posted by JBurt
I can chime in on why the 1/4" spacers are terrible. They only leave a very tiny bit of thread on the wheel studs out and it is very easy to cross thread them when putting the wheels back on. Ask me how I know.
I hadn't managed to cross thread them but it was very very hard to hang the wheels on that tiny bit of thread and get them started, it was a huge hassle and cross threading them when you're trying to start a nut on that wee bit of thread seemed only a matter of time.
also, did you find any need to order/use WabFab's flip socket to properly install your 1" spacers?
I have it and use it every time. It's thin wall and a better fit than my regular socket, though that one juuuusst fit too.

Originally Posted by JBurt
Pattycakes77 just found out he needs some space to clear the tundra adapters here and he is going to go with longer studs. Interesting idea. I'll wait for him to post up how it worked out though.
I would think it would work ok. I guess he's going to use the spacers then. If that's the case I'd personally stick with the adapters. Someone had adapters made in 3/4", I'd rather do it more in that manner, either 1/2" or 3/4", than with longer studs and a spacer. The 1" have been fine, clearance where I wanted it. Interesting take though. Got me some reading to do.

Originally Posted by aviator
Hey Hab
checking in... see kitty's thread for an explanation for my recent absence... interesting experiment...
Running over to see what the Wonder Woman has done now!

Last edited by habanero; 02-15-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info! Yeah those spacers are terrible, my brother lost a wheel on the highway because of one.

I'm with you on the mud, I'll avoid that slop whenever possible!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Thanks for the info! Yeah those spacers are terrible, my brother lost a wheel on the highway because of one.
you're talking about the 1/4" spacers, right (and not the 1" wheel adapters)?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM

you're talking about the 1/4" spacers, right (and not the 1" wheel adapters)?
Correct. Spacers are sketchy when they aren't used with longer studs.

As for the adapters, time for me to start looking for some!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 247,381 miles
OE Cali exhaust. Leaking gasket in front of the converter + a couple small leaks at the muffler. Guess it's time...

17 year old exhaust? Wish I could have justified/afforded Toyota parts. At least the new muffler offers more clearance.
It's all out but for the *^&*)%(&^%*&:O studs. Hubby's gonna weld some nuts on them so I can try to break them free tomorrow. Will cut, drill and tap if necessary. Once that hurdle is cleared the rest should be a relative snap.

And yes, I did resort to using the *ahem* cut-off. Made getting the exhaust off a whole lot easier. I do not like the cut-off wheel. There are prolly going to be cut-off wheels chasing me around in my sleep for the next 3 weeks. I'll be finding cut-off wheels under my pillow and in cupboards when I'm making dinner. I do not like cut-off wheels.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

And still no moo.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Hab. Of course, after the nuts are welded on soak those studs in PB Blaster or similar. Sometimes melting a little wax in around the threads can help.

I'm sure you are checking those rubber hanger supports....mine were pretty soft and rotten a couple of years ago.

Cool on the moo fix!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

I've been soaking them in B'laster every few days for a couple of weeks now, at various times today and again since I quit working on it this afternoon, thank you thank you for the reminder and wax tip.
The donuts look surprisingly good. I should prolly replace them now while it would be easiest...

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread