Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
96 4Runner 279,210 miles

Been chasing a backing plate to drum rub sound that's driving me crazy. Finally noticed I could pull the hub in and out independent of the backing plate and it also seems to have a little wobble. Have about 1/4" of play at the left rear hub...it moves in and out that much when pushed and pulled. The bolts that hold the axle in are tight.

Last edited by habanero; 12-09-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Must be axle bearing failure.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

That's what I'm thinking too millball. You think they'd not fail in winter or a couple days after it got bolted in and gear oil refilled....sheesh. My dear adorable hubby prolly drove over it while it was sitting in the garage waiting on the 3rd member replacement.

I did look at the abs sensor and there's no rubs on it so the axle's not wobbling excessively yet, I guess. Of course it's still gotta be a priority.....
....or maybe I could rig up a skateboard for it?
Old 12-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, Hab Blue is being a bit testy lately. As always, you'll get it figured out and fixed in a flash even with cold weather.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

No doubt rw! Hey! Did I mention Blue is 20 years old this month? Built 12/95

We went down to the Berryman trail yesterday for some trail signage installing and took the 99 because of the noise issue I wanted to get figured out before long trips. Boy, do I ever miss long drives and adventures in my truck.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

I'm getting antsy to drive mine on some snow. Yup, know the feeling of not driving it.

Woohoo, on the 20th. My truck is just a few months older.... hit 20 back in August. Mechanically it's sound, paint starting to be a issue in several spots, and no rust underneath so it's going to last a few more years.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Nice! Be glad for issue paint vs rust. Here in the salt belt rust is a constant battle. So far, knock on solid metal, I've got that hole in the rocker that I still haven't come up with a plan for and that's about it for the body.

Okay, ran downstairs to look at the spare axle and it's got play too. Those are original 260,xxx mile bearings so I can't say I'm surprised. Will order new parts from Toyota and have to get them done by somebody. I kinda hate that part.

At least this time I know to take measurements of the gaps and point them out to whoever does the presswork- and to make sure they are there before I take them home.

I can either drive Blue or bike the 3 miles round trip to work while the spare axle gets put together. Once it's ready we're talking 20 minutes for the swap- if I'm half asleep- maybe add some time if I switch the brake bits over too....depending on which is in better shape.

Okay, plan of action in place!
Old 12-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Your plan did not take long to develop. Git 'er done!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Yeah, that replacement e-locker axle has been going through some issues. Both wheel bearings, a bent axle shaft, shredded ring/pinon gears, busted locker actuator. It must have had a rough life prior.

The axle housing is doing fine though!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Or a rough life during! The bearings say it's got more miles than thought or some other deal, bent axle shaft...well, it was a junkyard axle, locker actuator.....somewhat common issue apparently, shredded ring and pinion....uh....no comment!

^That guy up there says he thinks the wobble play in the axle I'm planning to use is not a bad thing. 260,000 miles on it though. It's messy but not a hard job at all so I suppose having to pull it to do bearings again when they fail wouldn't be horrible. Holiday monies....
Heh....thinking.....thinking....
Old 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 279,210

Okay, I thinked. The axle I pulled out of the basement had a little play, not too bad, but wouldn't even spin when I first brought it up. I was able to get it to turn but it was so stiff.

So:
Left rear wheel bearing replaced, shoes and bell crank moved over to the axle and installed on truck. Needs brake bleeding and all shall be right in the world again.

The machine shop- Phase II Machine- is familiar with 3rd gen 4Runner axles. I am really happy with their work and quick, too!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Got a pair of Bilsteins for the front coming from Jet.com. With coupon code 20NOW they came to $138.76 shipped. Hubby says it's a good deal and get 'em so I did what the man said. If all goes smoothly as it is so far I'm happy with that. Will deal with them in the spring when it's warmer, mine are not hideous bad like somebody else's shocks that are on the 99 (which will also be getting shocks all 'round in the spring, or so I'm told, and maybe a little more).

Also, lots of girls get flowers, I am so much luckier than those poor womens:

I get PROJECT!!! Cheaper, lasts longer and means so much more to me.

The other morning I was watching the dog pee. That got boring so I looked over and this is what I see in the driveway:

Happiness.
G'night, y'all.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Hi ya! Hmmmm, the mirrors look like a good project. Like the rig pic. 7" of snow here in town yesterday, then rain. Roads are mostly clear. Skiing Sunday am woot!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Woohoo! Glad to hear you got some skiing surface rw!

Heated mirrors. I think the hubby was worried the ones on the 99 would change trucks while he was at work one day. Sort of similar to how my rear locker project got rolling.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nice Hab!
You will like the heated mirrors.

Your view of your driveway is WAY better than mine.
'The Trekker is on Jackstands in the garage and the 4Runner is on jackstands in the driveway..
Old 12-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

That sort of view gets kinda obnoxious, doesn't it dropzone? Having the blue one up on stilts on and off for a few weeks with all its butt troubles was enough for me!

The junkyard mirrors have been on THE LIST for ages, so happy the hubby found some!

Since they were Desert Dune-ish colored I spent some of today moving the guts over to my blue mirror bodies. Tomorrow I will finish re-pinning the connectors that came with (integrate my old wiring so only one connector on each side) and at least get the wires for the defrosters soldered on and routed between door and body.

I did consider for about 4 seconds using the tan bodies but yeah, no. My blue mirrors look very grey in this pic...lighting vs camera....

More later as stuff happens.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Bet you could of used the heated mirrors this week. It got cold and a little snow here. Great job on swapping the mirrors around and both of your runners look great.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Weirdly Terry, there was frost on the windshield and back window Saturday morning but the mirrors were clear. No snow for us at all. S'posed to rain tomorrow...I have the kind of luck that if I put these things on the mirrors will never get frosty again. Guess you couldn't call that bad luck?

Got the mirrors back on and all the wires are now in the body, just have to figure out where to go from there. Research, research. Looks like there's a relay somewhere, I know where the switch is, and maybe the fuse is stand-alone, as in not used with anything else? Just got started on the research, back at it.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Donor mirrors are better than flowers!

First the old mirrors have to come off. There's a how-to on getting the door panel off in this thread somewhere. After you do that take the little tweeter cover off:

(the backside)
It pops out near the top and unhooks near the bottom.

Unplug the mirror (follow the wires to the plug, simple). Also loosen the wires from their keeper just under the tweeter so you'll be able to pull the whole mess out of the door later.
One bolt will get the tweeter out of your way.

Unbolt these 3 bolts from the door:

The mirror should not fall off because it's held by a screw near the top. The screw head just fits into a hole. As you pull the mirror off from the outside you have to get the screw head out of the hole to get the mirror off.

pull mirror and wires out and ta-da:

and you should have mirror in your hands.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

The donor mirrors are Desert Dune, mine are....not. I had 3 choices.
1) Keep them desert dune and just have mirrors that don't match the body. Note: If you do this you can skip about everything in the next couple of posts other than you'll want to diagram, then remove, the 3 wires in the connector on the door. You'll be replacing that connector with the one that matches the donor mirror's connector so it's all pretty and stuff. Easy enough to re-pin the new connector using the old wires.
2) Paint them something like satin black (see note for #1)
3) Swap the guts into my current mirrors.

I chose #3
How hard can that be? Mostly, it's really easy!
Make diagram of where each wire is in the connector (you'll need to know later) and pull the wires out of the connector. There is a spot that is lifted up and then a little catch that can be accessed on one side of each blade, and I mean little. A very small pick works to release the catch and pull the pins from the connector. The 96's connector has only 3 wires but the concept of getting them out is the same as:

In this case the connector the heated mirrors come with have more wires but 3 of them match what is in the 96 connector. I drew diagrams of what wire went where in their connectors, then I pulled all the pins out of the connectors that came with the heated mirrors. I will be using the connector that fits all the wires rather than the 3-wire connector off the 96. The hardest part is getting the catches to release, super easy to repin once you're ready.

I also went out to the truck, drew my diagrams of the wires and their spots in the connectors, then removed all three wires from their connectors. The colors of the wires on the 4Runner match the colors in the connector from the donor mirrors.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread