Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Going the whole mile with this 2001 Tacoma build

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Going the whole mile with this 2001 Tacoma build

Id like to start of by saying I started a post about asking anyone if they knew if 35in tires, 4.10gearing with the 3.4l would be underpowered. But then I didn’t get a answer so I decided to wing it and go for it. That ended up having me find out for my self and justifying it with that set up, you forsure drive around as a daily driver. Just hitting highways and starting in city wearing the clutch out just an’t me. So I decided to gear it and open the gates of hell of never ending parts. And this where ill start from the top and share a Stock yota turn into something not so stock. In this post I will be sharing my personal opinion on all the After-Market Products Ive managed to install on a 2001 tacoma.

Keeping it short and simple I got a 6in lift for a 2001 yota. I didn’t know what kind of tiers I should throw on because no matter where you look you cant find the right answer for you so I went out and made my own answers.

This is when i 1st got my pickup. very stock.

1995.5-2004 6in Rough Country installation

*This is not a guide. Just a Simple Recap. Hopefully.

Doing IFS lift kits are just something else. This one included Fab Work. On Scale from 1-10 on how hard it was, id say it was a 5 or a 6(prior hands-on knowledge on of lifting trucks). The part that really blows about this lift this once you cut that back cross-member that holds some of the IFS theres no turning back (unless you wield it back on) but im trying to say it will never be factory…ever. Also you have to cut out a Square chuck on the driver side of the frame.

driver side cut to clear extended steering knuckle movement

Cross-member support cut

Id like to say the extended power steering lines are a lil bit of a fight. The area/room you make from cutting the crossmember is a tight fit. I would advise making another small cut to allow the line not to rub on the new cut over time per se’. my line seems to have a small mark on it now so I would make a small cut or even just grind it down a tad. (picture will be shown and labeled)

The back of the lift is kinda like wtf? They give you a 3in block and extend brakelines with your shocks. So…Your truck is going sag super hard. So to fix that I went and bought some 2.5in extend shackles and then I got 550lbs truckspring helpers. This jack’d up the rear end just enough not to notice the sagging.

Drivelines seems to be pretty flat, not angle’d drastically at all after putting the lift and shackles. They have enough reach to not pop out so you wont need extend drive lines.

I personally don’t think Rough Countrys are the best lift out there, however for the price they are good without a doubt. Ive installed a few different lifts from them on a ranger, jeep, and this yota. And it always seems to be something with the liftkit (like the rangers lift kit can destroy the front diffhouseing, ect.). In this case id say their yota lift was the best one they make Ive put on so far. Nothing seems to beable to clunk on anything and seems to be plenty of room so no metal contact issues so far besides the powersteering line could raise issues. Of course cuz its rough country.

After 6in lift installed. with 31in tiers(right before they put my new rims and tiers on, just snapped a photo becuz it felt goofy driving it there like that.)

After getting rims and tiers on it. 35in toyo's

Tiers and BushWackers

With the 35x12.5 and 4.5in offset rims, you will make contact on your front inner wheel well. And it does not sound nor feels pretty. It is quite harsh and makes your ass pucker. Also I need to say you will eat ur rear fender wells once you get a good flex on because I found that out the hard way to.

So I did the most logical thing ever and got some bushwackers. My 1st thought was, cheap crappy plastic. 2nd thought lets just send them back. 3rd was screw it time to drill holes in my nice paint job. I said screw it because bushwackers have a good warranty on them just fyi.(but does not include the damage you do towards installing them obv) Just the bushwackers them self.

So putting the bushwackers on it kinda iffy if id say my self. There are holes that drill into nothing is the only way to put it. Its like they made it for a model of truck that had a bracket for the certain area which you’ll see in the pic below this. Just makes me think its cheap and flimsy but it bolts on their pretty good id say. Hopefully good enough not to have to work on them ever again but you know how that goes.

After having them on I haven’t rub yet thou. So I guess it did its job.

After installing the BushWacker fender flares.(and iboards)

35’s and gearing

This one was a pain for the reason I didn’t get a rebuild kit………I didn’t know I needed a rebuild kit so I work (messed-around-with) with the clamshell for 2 hours after I put the new 4.56 yukon rev-cut gear. I couldn’t figure out why the gears wouldn’t spin after I put the diff-cover on. And on top of that I kept wondering where the shims are at so that’s when I released I needed a rebuild kit.

Also, unfortunately I ordered the wrong ring and pinon for the back end, so I sent it back.

I ended up having to take my rear and front diffs to https://www.justdifferentials.com/ . Which was very convenient because they weren’t too far away from me. They ended up shimming my ring and pinons for me. But I had to buy a NITRO 4.56 gear set for the rear because the other one I ordered didn’t work like I mentioned above sorry for repeating myself. Total cost a decent penny for the job they ended up having to do.(which was just to set backlash because I had to dam near put together for them.) I really wish I could of just got the right stuff and did it my self but you know how it goes some times.

gear Performance with 35in tiers and 4.56 gearing is way much better. Its extremely much better. I love it so much. I can now take off in 1st gear with out having to ride my clutch. I can now let the clutch out and take off, without any gas flat ground. Such a smooth ride now. Feels awesome.

Yukon Reverse Cut 4.56 ring and pinion put in.

Future and more upgrades coming soon. Much more to do! Please sub to this thread so you can stay tune in the future and watch my progression!
Thinking ima wield up some aluminum front and rear bumpers or something and much more. i know i have to go threw the motor soonish. ill be posting on that becuz it will be a good learning experience for those who are having motor issues. my current scary anti freeze leak seems to be coming off the front of the block which means bad news usually. hopefully a easy fix. stay tune'd!
The following users liked this post:
15PSD (01-23-2019)