Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Zaino rocks---I'll be retiring the Corey Cable :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 10:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Zaino rocks---I'll be retiring the Corey Cable :-)

Guys,

My wife's Green 95 Camry suffered through a few years of neglect (pre-marriage) as well as a few years of New England winters. Since we got married, I've taken care of that lovely, deceptively fast sedan as if it were my own.

She had a lot of swirls and I tried alot of different products. Meguiars, Griots, 3M, etc. I even bought the Corey Cable. However, I think her swirls were too deep and would require a professional who knows how to use a wool cutting pad. That's something I didn't want to spend the money for so I bought the Zaino products since I heard so much about it from other members.

Boy, let me tell you, I was FLOORED, even after one coat of Z5 (swirl reducer fluid). :eek:

Like everyone said, it really does give the wet shine. Contrary to the directions, I did more than 1 coat. Sal Zaino says that you should let a single coat cure for 24 hours but I said what the hell and did 3 coats (2 Z5 coats, 1 Z2 polishing coat).

Here's a pic:

Mind you, this is only after ONE coat of Z5. If you could see this up close before and after, you would definitely see 90% less swirls on the emerald green paint.

The big negative to the Zaino system is that you have to wait 24 hours between coats. However, they've created a new product called ZFX or something like that which will allow you to put multiple coats within 24 hours. I read the instructions and it takes a bit of following directions, but its not rocket science.

If you have a dark colored 4runner especially black, I would highly recommend you give the Zaino products a try.

Bob
Old 10-06-2002, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOOKS SWEET

It Look like a new car, SWETTTTTTTTT:bigok
Old 10-07-2002, 04:46 AM

Re: Zaino rocks---I'll be retiring the Corey Cable :-)

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Guys,

My wife's Green 95 Camry suffered through a few years of neglect (pre-marriage) as well as a few years of New England winters. Since we got married, I've taken care of that lovely, deceptively fast sedan as if it were my own.

She had a lot of swirls and I tried alot of different products. Meguiars, Griots, 3M, etc. I even bought the Corey Cable. However, I think her swirls were too deep and would require a professional who knows how to use a wool cutting pad. That's something I didn't want to spend the money for so I bought the Zaino products since I heard so much about it from other members.

Boy, let me tell you, I was FLOORED, even after one coat of Z5 (swirl reducer fluid). :eek:

Like everyone said, it really does give the wet shine. Contrary to the directions, I did more than 1 coat. Sal Zaino says that you should let a single coat cure for 24 hours but I said what the hell and did 3 coats (2 Z5 coats, 1 Z2 polishing coat).

Here's a pic:

Mind you, this is only after ONE coat of Z5. If you could see this up close before and after, you would definitely see 90% less swirls on the emerald green paint.

The big negative to the Zaino system is that you have to wait 24 hours between coats. However, they've created a new product called ZFX or something like that which will allow you to put multiple coats within 24 hours. I read the instructions and it takes a bit of following directions, but its not rocket science.

If you have a dark colored 4runner especially black, I would highly recommend you give the Zaino products a try.

Bob
Where is the best place to get this stuff? I want to get some protection for when the winter comes.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks good Bob, but don't retire the Porter Cable just yet
I use a detail forum where all they talk about there is wax, wax, and more wax.
Kind of like how all we talk is Toys here.

I ran across this avatar over there.

Looks like that guy uses Zaino and the PC.
Here is the forum.

We have quite a discussion going on over there on tire gels in the product reviews area.

I'd try this Zaino stuff sometime, but me having to park the rig outside 24/7, the 24 hour let it sit on the paint thing won't fly by me
Old 10-07-2002, 05:42 AM

Me too !!!

I did my truck about 2 weeks ago, used Z5/ZFX 3x and it looks awsome. If u use zfx u do not have to let it sit for 24hrs, just apply wait for it to dry and buff off.

You can only buy the product through http://www.zainobros.com or if u email sal he may be able to get you incontact with local distributor.

here are my pics:

Last edited by ripper7; 10-07-2002 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by Corey
Looks good Bob, but don't retire the Porter Cable just yet
I use a detail forum where all they talk about there is wax, wax, and more wax.
Kind of like how all we talk is Toys here.

Looks like that guy uses Zaino and the PC.

I'd try this Zaino stuff sometime, but me having to park the rig outside 24/7, the 24 hour let it sit on the paint thing won't fly by me
Corey, I use Zaino and have a PC. I used it only once with Zaino - not really worth the trouble since the Z stuff is so easy to apply and remove. I save it for other cars with other problems.

I don't use the ZFX additive and haven't had any problems with cure times. The secret is in learning how thin to apply the products.

FWIW, I think the Zaino may even last longer than wax on vehicles that are parked outside because I don't think the sun will burn it off as fast as wax will burn off. Just an unproven theory, though.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Oh man I am getting me some of that stuff. My balck beauty has a alot to be fixed in the dept. of paint swirls. Now did you guys use some kind of Porter Cable machine to apply the coats or just good ol' elbow grease(like my dad would say)?
Old 10-07-2002, 01:35 PM

Cyber: go to http://www.zainobros.com

Its not cheap but considering all the money i've spent on other stuff, its about even now! If you have a dark colored 4runner, I highly suggest you give it a try.

Stump,

As the topic said, I'm gonna retire the PCable---at least for the Zaino application. I think it would waste alot of the Zaino if you used the buffer pad.

I just used a wax applicator pad and did it by hand. You really don't use alot of the stuff. A thin coat is all that is needed. I was actually shocked by how little you use and how outstanding the results are.

What I did is to spritz the applicator pad w/ some water (to make it moist), put a few dabs of Zaino on the pad and apply. I went against the grain, as Sal says when applying the stuff. So for doors, I would apply in an up-and-down motion, not side to side or swirly motion.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 10-07-2002 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:42 PM

I have all the Zaino products, and have used them exclusively on my Lexus IS300. I highly recommend Zaino. Elbow grease is the best way It wipes on so easy and wipes off just as easy! The swirl stuff works "ok" for black cars.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:54 PM

Hey Chuck:

How does it look on your silver 4runner? As much as I want to use it on my Desert Dune 4runner, I think it will be better spent/applied on my wife's dark green Camry. Do you notice a very big difference as compared to other stuff you used?

For me, the difference was night and day on her Camry. For the 4runner, since mine is a lighter color, I dont think it will make much of a difference. What's your opinion?

Bob
Old 10-07-2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Hey Chuck:

How does it look on your silver 4runner? As much as I want to use it on my Desert Dune 4runner, I think it will be better spent/applied on my wife's dark green Camry. Do you notice a very big difference as compared to other stuff you used?

For me, the difference was night and day on her Camry. For the 4runner, since mine is a lighter color, I dont think it will make much of a difference. What's your opinion?

Bob
My 4Runner is actually a grey, but my wife's Celica is silver. I think it gives either a nice "glow", but I haven't used anything else on either of these vehicles..

IMO, the Meguiar's Gold Class finishes probably give a pretty similar finish. That's what I used to use before I "discovered" Zaino. The problem with GC is that even though you have a first class shine when you're done, it only lasts about one wash and then it just looks "good", not great like it did when first applied. Also there's a lot of dusting. Not with Zaino.

Zaino lasts a long time. I put a coat on every couple of months. You can feel an improvement, but visually, the finish stays pretty much up to par. It doesn't seem to get worse like GC does.

Another point: once you figure out how little Zaino it takes to do the job, the products will probably last long enough to make Zaino one of the CHEAPER finishes.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by ckonarske

My 4Runner is actually a grey, but my wife's Celica is silver. I think it gives either a nice "glow", but I haven't used anything else on either of these vehicles..

IMO, the Meguiar's Gold Class finishes probably give a pretty similar finish. That's what I used to use before I "discovered" Zaino. The problem with GC is that even though you have a first class shine when you're done, it only lasts about one wash and then it just looks "good", not great like it did when first applied. Also there's a lot of dusting. Not with Zaino.

Zaino lasts a long time. I put a coat on every couple of months. You can feel an improvement, but visually, the finish stays pretty much up to par. It doesn't seem to get worse like GC does.

Another point: once you figure out how little Zaino it takes to do the job, the products will probably last long enough to make Zaino one of the CHEAPER finishes.
It's funny because I was telling my friend today about Zaino and about how good people say it is. I have not purchased yet, partly because I don't know if I want to dump $100 out to get all the "parts" in order to do an application. Anyway, he was swearing up and down that Meguiar's Gold Class was way better than anything else, and how the Zaino is just a waste of money. Keep in mind he has never tried it or anything, he is just like that with everything. But in my mind I did kind of think that it may be easier to get a quick coat on right now to use the Gold Class until I am ready to sit down and invest all the time and money into going with the Zaino system.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:33 PM

Don't retire the Corey Cable. That and the Griots Clay with the buffer attachment really is something.

I am sure some of you remember Ron Sherowsky and how he was about keeping the RS polished. Shortly before I bought the RS from him he switched to Zanio and he used their clay bar on it. If the light hit it at the right angle you could see the clay bar marks. Later I reclayed the RS with the Griots clay bar on the buffer and all those marks were gone and the paint is super smooth. Not even Ron got it that nice. I then did a coat of Z5 and a couple of Z2 and you can not see any imperfections anywhere. It is the best wax job I had ever done. Of course I did not pull the tags and wax under them like Ron always did...

Zanio polish is the best there is, but their clay is not. Griots beats them there. I plan on doing the Zaino threatment on the other trucks someday...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 04-02-2003, 12:59 PM

Where's the best place to buy the Griot's Clay bar, and what't eh corey cable? Are these used in conjunction with each other?

Chris
Old 04-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You get the Griot's claybar from Griots.
That is the only place to get Griot's gear from.

The Corey Cable is the Porter Cable buffer that I recommend on my website in the detail section.
Someone 3 years ago or so gave it that nickname after me.

My host screwed me over lastnight and took my entire website down for stupidity on the techs part.

I do have my detail site mirrored on another server.
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/wax/wax.htm

Links to the gear is on the above site.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:36 PM

That someone was me...

I was hoping you would have made the autoshow so I could have met you in person. I was disapointed and you will have to make it up to me...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 04-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Oh crap, that was last weekend in Spokane right?
Old 04-02-2003, 05:26 PM

Right, right...

I may make it back that way someday. If I do can you hook me up with a tour of the Boeing plant?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com