Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which yota would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 4-door Tundra looks like the small Ford 4-door trucks. Do you need a truck bed? That's what trailers are for. I would go for the the Runner all the way.

Last edited by Mulkey; 04-02-2004 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:59 AM

I did the whole truck thing for 6 years - ford ranger sc 4.0, 7 inches of lift, 33's Eaton Posi yada yada. I was ready for something different. That and I was not getting out as much as I did when I was in my 20's. I feel like yuppie skum in the 4 runner sometimes but I also appreciate luxury as I get older.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by SizzleChest
selectable on/off locker with the push of a button. a locker will "lock" the differential so that both wheels spin with the same power to each. a must for off-roading and drag racing. terrible for turning.
Well, if the E-locker works the same way it does on a Tacoma you won't
be winning any drag races with the E-locker ON. It will only engage
in Low-4. High-4 is more than enough traction in a drag race.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

4Runner
Old 04-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

4Runner for sure, they are just the best. The Tundra is way to big for me and I'd be stressed parking it in the city. I believe the 4Runner is still made in Japan which has historically been a good thing for durability. The luxury will grow on you
Old 04-02-2004, 10:19 AM

I'll go with what a few others have already suggested and say, get what you think you'll need.

Is the angle of approach/departure important?

Will the width (as well as wheelbase) of the Tundra hinder you on trails? Here in the Republic of California less wide is usually better. Unless you like to pose of course. ^_~

Will there be more than one joining you on trips? (even the larger size of the Tundra's rear seats make you feel like you've got DGS)

And as far as manufaturing goes, aside from Snap-on and Miluakee (and a few others) I'll almost always go with Japan.

Again though, Toyota is Toyota.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Decisions Decisions

As a Hilux man my natural bias is towards the pick-up but no offence its biult in the US and the quality is just not up to snuff . The rear seat is very uncomfortable. Not much of a direct concern to the driver I know but complaints from the rear will come faster with the lousey seats (are we there yet?). The runner may have an ugly plastic front end now but it is built in Tahana Japan whence all good things come. . The build quality is better too. If you can why not wait, I understand the new tacoma (hilux) will again come from japan why not wait and see?. Aviator
Old 04-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RalleRunner
I know most of you will choose the 4Runner...but which of these two would you get or think is the "better" value:

1) 04 4Runner Limited V8 AWD, everything except Nav ($36K)
2) 04 Tundra DC Limted V8 4WD TRD w/the Snugtop ($36K)

We will probably go with the Runner b/c we don't really need a truck and my wife thinks the Tundra is too big, in her opinion anyway, but both are irresistable to me...
Put a poll up, and see what the results are. I would choose the 4Runner. They can still tow a pretty good amount of weight, they are great around town, and are great on the highway and you can pack your crap inside the cab and on top of the cab is necessary, plus you can seat 4 people in comfort.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Idealy, I would keep the 2nd Gen I have now and have the Tundra as well...but if you're wanting just one truck...I'd go with the 4Runner unless you have a serious need for the towing capabilities of a pickup.

Fink
Old 04-02-2004, 12:41 PM

Where the truck rules it when you need to carry something that is
messy, large, smelly (dogs), wet, muddy, has sharp corners, heavy, ...
Just toss it in the bed and no worries!

With the runner, especially a brand new one, you'll always be concerned
with your interior.

I suppose every family needs one of each. My wife drives the SUV
and we never have to risk trashing the interior because I drive a truck.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by jwahaus
Where the truck rules it when you need to carry something smelly (dogs), Just toss it in the bed and no worries!
JMHO, but I hate to see anyone drive around with dogs running around in the bed of their truck. Very dangerous for the dogs. Just might consider that in the future. Incase you have never thought about it in the past.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pitbull
JMHO, but I hate to see anyone drive around with dogs running around in the bed of their truck. Very dangerous for the dogs. Just might consider that in the future. Incase you have never thought about it in the past.

Colorado has a law against it and I thankfully rarely see it here too.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

When my dogs were in the bag of my truck ( I used to have one) I used steel cables tied to full body harneses to keep em in. On one occassion, one dog went over the side, and she ended up hanging by the body harness. She was fine, but a little spooked.

A real easy setup is to have one cable running to both hooks near the cab of the bed. Then have another one looped around that one, and then tied to your dogs full body harness.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SteveO
When my dogs were in the bag of my truck ( I used to have one) I used steel cables tied to full body harneses to keep em in. On one occassion, one dog went over the side, and she ended up hanging by the body harness. She was fine, but a little spooked.

A real easy setup is to have one cable running to both hooks near the cab of the bed. Then have another one looped around that one, and then tied to your dogs full body harness.
That sounds great, anyway you can keep them safe. It is kind of funny not many years ago in the south you would see families driving around all of the time with their kids bouncing around in the bed of the truck. Funny how times change.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:38 PM

I would buy the 4runner. I had a 97 which was my baby until she was totalled when someone rear ended me. Now i have my 98 4runner. I love them, they ride nice and look nice
Old 04-03-2004, 04:11 AM

It's okay, they're just mutts. If they fall out I can just stop by the pound and
pick up a couple more.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

When I carry my dogs in the truck bed they are in cages so they ain't going
anywhere. Two big dogs = two very big cages that wouldn't fit in any SUV
smaller than a Ford Expedition.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Idealy, I would keep the 2nd Gen I have now and have the Tundra as well...but if you're wanting just one truck...I'd go with the 4Runner unless you have a serious need for the towing capabilities of a pickup.

Fink
Does the tundra have a higher towing capacity than the runner? The reason i'm considing the tundra d/c is you can get one for a lot cheaper than the 4runner.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
As a Hilux man my natural bias is towards the pick-up but no offence its biult in the US and the quality is just not up to snuff . The rear seat is very uncomfortable. Not much of a direct concern to the driver I know but complaints from the rear will come faster with the lousey seats (are we there yet?).
The rearseat of the double cab looks like the 4runner's compared to the almost-no-angle rearseat of the access cab tundra...and more legroom.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by RicNkc
TUNDRA, sorry guys, but im just not to hip on the 4th gen. runners, but ive seen a couple (on here) that are SWEET.
I like the 4th gen, except for the rear bumper and spoiler.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by AndroT100
Wait for the 2005 Tacoma 4 door 4x4. The best of both worlds.
Hey Andro, i want my new to be 4runner exactly like yours - blk sport v8 4/awd!

Quick Reply: Which yota would you buy?