See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Winter Tires for 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter Tires for 4Runner

I'm giving consideration to the Nokian WR tire in a 275/60/17 size, for my 2004, V8,4WD Sport. This would be 10mm wider and .6" less in diam. Anybody have any experience with this tire or any thoughts on the size diff.? I don't go off road, but need good snow capability. Any comments on the Nokians, and the slight size difference would be appreciated. I've looked at a tire size calculator, and it gives the slight sped diff. for the speedo.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:36 PM

i've never run those tires, but i can talk about the size. generally for snow tires you want a thinner tire. the thinner tire will be able to cut down to the road easier. if you're in the back country and in deep snow you want a wider tire so you float on the top of the snow.

i run 31x10.50 on my truck but in the winter i have a set of 30x9.50. i use the bridgestone winter dualer and love them. they're great on the colorado packed snow and ice on twisty mountain roads with no guide rails.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

I ran a set of Nokian tires on my VR6 Golf. I could drive in snow almost like dry pavement. They were great.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:57 AM

General question: Why do you need snow tires if you have a 4WD?
Old 09-13-2004, 05:02 AM

Winter Tires

Originally Posted by RalleRunner
We get snow falls as deep as 14-20", and I have a steep driveway. The OEM Dunlops are very poor in the snow, so I need to replace them before winter. 4WD is not the end all, and is only as effective as the contact patch (tires).

Last edited by kullenberg; 09-13-2004 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:09 PM

Oh Ok, I didn't know you get that much snow down there. But couldn't a good AT tire serve the same purpose and you could drive it year round?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:16 PM

As stated above the bridgestone winter duelers are incredible. When I lived in the snow belt I ran them on all my cars. You can stop on ice like it is dry pavement. I could also made it up a few snow mobile trails--to there surprise! I have also run Mich. Alpens and they suck as far as Ice goes. Hope this helps. I could easily make it up to the ski slope with the winter duelers in 2wd.

I now run revos and have no idea about the snow but you may want to look into this as an option.....

Last edited by Gringo; 09-13-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:26 PM

Tires

I looked at the Bridgestone Revo, which has pretty good reviews, however there are wear issues with it. They also have a tendency to pick up stones on gravel roads, which throws them out of balance. The Nokian WR is an all season tire, which is winter rated (snowflake), and carries a 50k mile tread warranty. Altogether, a pretty impressive tire. I lived in Southern NH in the sixties, and I think we get more snow here, than I remember there. We are a ski resort, and have family skiing from late Nov. thru mid March. Not long runs, but good for the family.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:37 PM

Nokian WRs

I ran Nokian WRs on my 4X4 Tacoma last winter. My wife had NRWs (1st generation WRs) on AWD Matrix for the past two winters and on her Echo before that and they were awesome. I have had Nokians for about the past 15 years on various vehicles. If you are looking for a winter tire, it would be a good choice. The dealers are a bit sparse and they are not the cheapest tires, but how can you go wrong with a winter tire form Finland?
Old 10-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Pierrille has a scorpion Ice and snow that has great reviews anyone have these?
Old 10-23-2004, 09:15 PM

See this winter tire test. Among the tires tested, the WR received one of the lowest overall ratings.

http://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests...cePageID=94888
Old 10-24-2004, 11:05 AM

I went with the REVOs, in size 275/70/16 on a set of OEM steel wheels for winter use only, and have nothing but praise for the way they handled last winter. I had no balance problems, and in addition to being great in the snow, they also handled better in wet road conditions than any other tire I have used so far.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by RalleRunner

we go faster/better when we go forward or accelerationg but we dont stop any faster. Heavier weight adds to momentum when stopping. Surprisingly 4WD vehicles get into more accidents during snow season because we're overconfident about our acceleration/traction and not thinking about stopping distance. All cars have 4brakes when stopping.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:21 PM

I run WR's on both my '99 4runner and the wifes suby outback and have been very happy. Lots of folks up this way (NW Vermont) run Nokian's, either yr round (WR's) or snows only (Hakkapeliitta)
Old 10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

I saw some of those Nokians today on a Dodge...VERY impressive looking tires. Siped like crazy....
Old 10-25-2004, 07:28 PM

There used to be a commercial years ago that featured a redneck looking cowboy. The cowboy walks up to this good looking girl and says, "Honey, you look finer than a new set of snow tires." I find alot of truth to the statement, nothing much better than new tires. I still say the same line to my wife everytime I start looking at new tires.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
we go faster/better when we go forward or accelerationg but we dont stop any faster. Heavier weight adds to momentum when stopping. Surprisingly 4WD vehicles get into more accidents during snow season because we're overconfident about our acceleration/traction and not thinking about stopping distance. All cars have 4brakes when stopping.
Having lived in upstate NY for the last 28 some odd years, and driving some type of 4WD for most of them, I believe that many people (other than the 4WD enthusiast) buy and drive a 4WD SUV based on what they see in TV ads. I learned early on, that one had to change ones RWD learned driving skills when you switched to FWD or 4WD especially in snow. Many of the off the road accidents I see on the highways are a result of someone overdriving the conditions and their skill level. Many people see the nifty commercials of 4WDs plowing thru 3 ft high drifts, blasting thru mud and water, and climbing near vertical 'trails' and think they to can do it to if they buy one. I still think the best thing any 'new' 4WD/FWD driver can do for themselves is to take the vehicle to an empty parking lot with snow cover and learn what you can and can't do with the vehicle and how it reacts during hard turns and braking. And, if you don't get carried away, it can be a lot of fun.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:35 PM

We just put a new set of Bridstone Blizzak's on our 98 Runner and couldn't be happier. We've had about a foot and half of snow already in the last couple of weeks and they have to this point been great. We have limited ice experience as ice can be alot of different animals around here depending on temperature. So far so good though. In the snow they have been amazing. I ran the Runner through the yard in a foot of snow in two wheel drive like it was dry dirt. I ran it in 4 hi without the diff locked through the ditch stopped at the bottom perpendicular to the road at about a 30 degree incline and walked right out of about 18" of snow just like I was on hard dry dirt. I have always been a big fan of winter tires and have run many different brands. Never been able to complain about Bridstone Blizzak's.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the forum!! I'm right down below you at LMC. I ran Nokian years ago on a SAAB and they are absolutely incrediable in the snow. I'd say go for it.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
Welcome to the forum!! I'm right down below you at LMC. I ran Nokian years ago on a SAAB and they are absolutely incrediable in the snow. I'd say go for it.
I just ordered a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT 265/75R16 with studs. Last winter (with ATs) happened few situations to me when I really got extra hearthbeats. Now I desided to get cheap life insurance and buy new WINTER tires.

Why winter tires at winter if you have 4x4? You get almost every time forward but when you brake on ice, that´s when you need Traction. Specially MTs slips like toboggan.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires for 4Runner