Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wierd Stalling problem....WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd Stalling problem....WTF???

I have a 98 Runner with the 3.4 (47,000 miles)
I have only had it about 6 weeks.
Today on the way to work it stalled
at a stop light ( I have an AUTO Trans)
I didn't notice with the tunes rockin but
when i went to take off when the light
turned green, I realized my engine had shut off..
I started it... it stalled again.... i restarted it and
it kept running..This happened once b4 about 4 weeks
ago..I got off the freeway, was at a red light, went to
take off and realized it was stalled, that time it started
right up and stayed running..I put a can of BG44K in my
next tank thinking that might solve the issue and I
thought it did, since it hadn't happened again...till
today!! Does anyone have any suggestions??
please help me out..thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Clogged fuel filter? Since it is intermittent, it sounds like a bad filter or bad gas. Has it had the 30K tuneup?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sac State
Has it had the 30K tuneup?
Good question, I bought it from a dealer and have no records
and don't know if the previous owner had it done..
Old 01-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Not that the 30K tuneup is magical, but with only 47K miles on your rig, maybe it was overlooked?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sac State
Not that the 30K tuneup is magical, but with only 47K miles on your rig, maybe it was overlooked?
At the very least I would do the typical tuneup stuff (OEM plugs, air and fuel filters and clean the throttle body thoroughly). I would also just verify that the charging system is making 14V min at the battery. Then if it persists you need to start going through the systems one by one, air fuel and electrical to find what is actually causing this stalling.

Also check for any vacuum hoses that leak or have become disconnected (sometimes you will hear a hissing sound if it is bad enough).

Did you have a CEL?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-20-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Also, make an attempt at obtaining some maintenance information from the dealer you purchased it at. If the previous owner serviced it at the dealer, you may be able to get some information. Make it very clear that you want no personal information from the previous owner, all you want is the maintenance records over the phone, if any.

I have done this on a couple cars, and after some teeth pulling they disclosed the needed info.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
my 98 has done a similar stalling problem.... I can auctauly MAKE it do it...

It happens after a WOT hard accleration, say like, 0-40 like your pulling into traffic, and if you let off, and dont apply any more gas, ( say you get on it, then have to slow down ) as the revs come down its like the idle wont catch it in time and it will rev WAY down ( 200,300rpms ) and just die. usauly takes two attempts to fire it back up, but then runs fine. i just ingore it really cus i figure its a sensor some where.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stegall984R

It happens after a WOT hard accleration, say like, 0-40 like your pulling into traffic, and if you let off, and dont apply any more gas, ( say you get on it, then have to slow down ) as the revs come down its like the idle wont catch it in time and it will rev WAY down ( 200,300rpms ) and just die. usauly takes two attempts to fire it back up, but then runs fine. i just ingore it really cus i figure its a sensor some where.
YESSS, thats exactly what happened today..WOT (jackass wouldnt let me over) then red light...then stall.
Everyone else thanks for the input...Anyone think any different knowing its after WOT??
Old 01-20-2005, 04:19 PM

I know that it was a one owner, local truck purchased at lew webb toyota in irvine (thanks carfax) so maybe a call to them is in order to try and see if the 30k service was done (thanks to 96_runner)..failing that I might pull a spark plug to inspect it and see if I think they are original or were replaced at 30k ( I should be able to tell right??) If they look hammered I will proceed with the DIY 30k (thanks MTL runner) plus fuel filter (Thanks Sac State) Anyway thanks for all the answers guys..and I am still open to any suggestions or possible solutions.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 98Runner98
I know that it was a one owner, local truck purchased at lew webb toyota in irvine (thanks carfax) so maybe a call to them is in order to try and see if the 30k service was done (thanks to 96_runner)..failing that I might pull a spark plug to inspect it and see if I think they are original or were replaced at 30k ( I should be able to tell right??) If they look hammered I will proceed with the DIY 30k (thanks MTL runner) plus fuel filter (Thanks Sac State) Anyway thanks for all the answers guys..and I am still open to any suggestions or possible solutions.
You might also check the TPS (throttle position sensor) with a voltmeter and be sure the resistance is within spec according to the FSM (the resistance should change linearly when the butterfly is opened).

Does the 3rd gen have an EGR valve as well (not sure.....you never hear about it if there is)?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-20-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=MTL_4runner]You might also check the TPS (throttle position sensor) with a voltmeter and be sure the resistance is within spec according to the FSM (the resistance should change linearly when the butterfly is opened).

That's what went wrong with mine. CEL came on and I kept putting it off since nothing seemed wrong, then it started stalling after I came to a stop. Replaced the TPS sensor and all was good.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:49 PM

Just a shot

Has it been warm or hot outside, what is the engine temp? When I lived in AZ I had an 84 EFI and it did this to me a few times. Always after WOT or long accelerations and then a stop. It was hot out and the fuel would vaporize in the fuel rail that went over the motor. I put more heat shielding on it and it stopped doing it. Just a shot in the dark.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:49 PM

Dude I think it's fixed..

Originally Posted by Stegall984R

Hey I realized I could make it happen as well,l just as you described..I think I fixed it. Check your throttle cable where it hooks up to the throttle body..mine had lots of slack where the cable from the gas petal hooks up, and also from where the little brain box hooks up. I adjusted both (Super EZ 5 minutes max.) and now I've tried to induce the stall like 15 times over 2 days, and IT WON'T STALL. I think hard throttle temporarily added a little extra stretch, that when combined with the already present slack made it so that when the ECU made an attempt at a very small application of throttle to keep idle, that movement was "lost in the slack" and then caused a stall. So it's definately worth checking out on yours...
Old 01-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
hmmm thats a good idea. mine dosnt do it every often, but I will def look into it. thanks man