Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wierd noise in morning, backing up..this time maybe driveline?

Old 06-19-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd noise in morning, backing up..this time maybe driveline?

Ok, started noticing this about a week and a half ago or so. In the morning when backing up I hear a "thump" from underneath the front/center of the truck as soon as I get about half way out of my garage. I am completely lost as to what it could be, at first I thought maybe the CV axles, but I brought it to the dealer (trying to get it fixed under warranty ) but they said the cv's are fine...and they were unable to duplicate the symptom. Well, I assure you/(and them) that it does this EVERY morning now, and even sometimes throughout the day when I reverse and turn (or now even not turn, maybe thats not even evident, who knows).

My best guess is that it might be the front driveline yoke being dry and slipping back into place?? Is there anyway to lube it myself?

Any Ideas greately appreciated!!! Please help me!

I absolutely hate anything not normal in my rig....

Only positive thing so far is that the dealer (which I purchased my Revtek kit from) gave me a diff drop kit as I was supposed to get one when I bought mine originally...and they noticed I did not have one installed....

Anyone?? help!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:44 PM

Oh, also, the truck otherwise drives perfectly with no noise or vibration what_so_ever all the way up to freeway speeds. 4 wheel drive works fine too.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Wierd noise in morning, backing up..this time maybe driveline?

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
My best guess is that it might be the front driveline yoke being dry and slipping back into place?? Is there anyway to lube it myself?

Any Ideas greately appreciated!!! Please help me!

I absolutely hate anything not normal in my rig....
!
yes, you need to mark the flange to the companion flange and the slip yoke to the driveshaft so that you can assemble the driveshaft exactly as it was after you are through. now, remove the four bolts on the flange and pull the yoke up into the shaft to release it from the companion flange. now you can pull the yoke out and lube the splines really good and put it back in the shaft (line it up) and then line up the flange/companion flange and stick the bolts and nuts back on and torque to value. only do this if it is really dry, I'm talking "bone" dry.

Otherwise you can just locate the zerk fitting at the end of the yoke and pump grease in until you feel it getting hard to pump. then just driving will flex the driveshaft to disperse the grease into the spline surfaces and will lube it. That is the easiest way.

Are you sure it's not a worn ujoint causing the clunk? It may also just be the front disc pads shifting, mine do that while backing up and then beginning to go forward. Oh yea, check your swaybar bushings in front too, my swaybar was clunking and I looked under there and the passenger side stock bushing was ripped and hanging half out of the bracket. ripped due to the lift and offroading.

Last edited by keisur; 06-19-2003 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:27 PM

I don't know, but I'll be under it tomorrow to find out for sure.

Thanks man, I didn't know if there was a grease fitting on that or not...I'll be checking that first thing in the morning.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:30 PM

Re: Re: Wierd noise in morning, backing up..this time maybe driveline?

Originally posted by keisur

Are you sure it's not a worn ujoint causing the clunk? It may also just be the front disc pads shifting, mine do that while backing up and then beginning to go forward. Oh yea, check your swaybar bushings in front too, my swaybar was clunking and I looked under there and the passenger side stock bushing was ripped and hanging half out of the bracket. ripped due to the lift and offroading.
I don't know yet if it is the swaybar bushing, but I'll check that also. I dont think its the pads because its quite loud !!

I've been offroading alot lately, and quite a bit of articulation for a spacer lifted truck

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know, but I'll be under it tomorrow to find out for sure.

Thanks man, I didn't know if there was a grease fitting on that or not...I'll be checking that first thing in the morning.
yea, there is. there should be one in each ujoint and one in the end of each slip joint front and rear. so I guess that's what? 5 ujoints and 2 slip joints. you should lube them about every other oil change or so, or at least I usually check them and add 1 pump af grease around that time. just be careful not to keep pumpin until the grease oozes out of the ujoints. if it does and you don't wipe it up, it will spit all over the undercarriage, if that matters to you. it happened once to me and what a mess!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Wierd noise in morning, backing up..this time maybe driveline?

I don't know yet if it is the swaybar bushing, but I'll check that also. I dont think its the pads because its quite loud !!

I've been offroading alot lately, and quite a bit of articulation for a spacer lifted truck

Thanks again!
then I would say you probably have worn out sway bushings like me. I ordered some greasable ES polyurethan ones from Mike @ Xtreme Off-Road and I will be intalling them tomorrow along with ES poly steering rack bushings
Old 06-19-2003, 09:44 PM

Ok, I just went out and jumped under the truck. (yes I am anal ) Anyways, everything looked good as far as the driveline to the front diff, spun easily and with no play what_so_ever. However, I can move both CV axles about a half an inch. Is this normal? They have play up and down, obviously not side to side. They don't make any noise driving forward though. Possible they are the culprit?

..and the sway bar looks perfect, and had no play at all.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:48 PM

So, tomorrow I'll be greasing all available zerks and installing the diff drop kit. We'll see if that cures it or not.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:15 AM

When you say thump, do you mean an actually clunk sound, or like a low growl sound (kindof like 2 rubber blocks rubbing together)?

Does it occur 1 time after starting, and either backing or moving forward after about 10 feet?
Old 06-20-2003, 09:29 AM

Well, kinda It is definately after about 10 feet, but I don't know if it could be rubber on rubber or not. I pulled into my garage backwards last night just so I could see if it did it while going forward in the morning as well. I'll post results in a little while.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

I can move both CV axles about a half an inch. Is this normal? They have play up and down, obviously not side to side. They don't make any noise driving forward though. Possible they are the culprit?
Not normal. Maybe.

..and the sway bar looks perfect, and had no play at all.
My swaybar doesn't move either even with the ripped bushing. it's just when it flexes that is makes the noise. since the lift, the swaybar is torqued up because I didn't extend the endlinks to return it to the stock position so that is why it is tight even with the torn bushing.
I would say your cv's may be the prob. look into the ORS manual hub swap, haha.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:03 PM

Ok, did NOT make the "thump" driving out of the garage this morning FORWARD. I normally have to reverse out, but I wanted to know if it was possible to make it do it if I backed in first. So there ya go...I'm going out to do the diff drop right now we'll see if that helps anything.

~Ralph
Old 06-20-2003, 12:28 PM

Diff drop installed....updates to come after my morning drive tomorrow!
Old 06-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

i got this same noise coming from same area and in the same situation.

dont think its the grease or CVs though.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Diff drop installed....updates to come after my morning drive tomorrow!
So what is the verdict?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have this problem. Notice it backing up after a few feet this is a 'clunk' sound. no idea whats causing it though...