Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Whole buncha Mod's

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whole buncha Mod's

New additions to rig include a set of shackle mounts, 1st gen roll bar, BlueSea power distribution box , and a Icom V-8000 ham radio. To start a 1/2 ? hole was drilled for the shackle mounts. I knew right off the bat the winch was going to be a PIA. So I drilled the holes (the three I knew would work) and left the 4th untouched. I mounted the hardware and was pleased. I didn?t measure and one came out slightly off but you can hardly tell.

The 1st gen roll bar was sitting around begging to be installed. I found a roll bar pad from the 1st gen on ebay and picked it up. The bar itself was sort of interesting. I bought it yota tech and the seller cut it into pieces to ship it. I had my local shop weld it back together the best they could. I then sanded it primed and painted it using spray can bed liner (my favorite)I drilled ?? holes yet again 1 for each front mount and 2 for each rear mount. I came up with the non precise method for installation I 1. opened a brew 2. laid on my back and wiggled untile I could position the bar into an ideal looking location in comparison to the roof buttons that hold the headliner in place. I then got it perfect and drilled hole 1 then back on the back and so on.

The Blue Sea unit was just to simplify my ever growing need for a nice internal fuse unit. The wiring was simple seeing as how I already had a large gauge + coming in to the cab. I fabbed up a bracket from stainless and mounted just to the right of the ECU.

The V-8000 went in easy I have yet to hard mount it. I have the power and coax run (the coax had been run for the cb).

I will run a new coax line once I figure out if a rear bumper will be going on.

Aaron
Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM

I love the looks of the 1st gen roll bar in new 4Runners. I am going to do that one of these days. Your rig looks killer!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sweet. Love that Ham. Got pics of it installed in the rig? When you get the bumper, post up pictures of the antenna.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice ride Aaron!

Always cool to see what other guys are adding to their 4Runners...and yes the 1st gen roll bar in a 3rd gen is very unique. I love mine as well.

Also like the idea of the shakle mounts on the TJM. Did you fab up those shackle mounts yourself or purchase them already made? I'd like to add a set to my T-15.

Mounting the shackle brackets as you have, is there a chance if pulled hard, they could bend out of the bumper? Just wonding what kind of load could be placed on them if you had to use them...what's their limits you think? (I know it says "3 ton" on the bracket itself, just curious if they could infact bend the bumper.)

Again, nice job on all the new mods

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-11-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Nice ride Aaron!

Always cool to see what other guys are adding to their 4Runners...and yes the 1st gen roll bar in a 3rd gen is very unique. I love mine as well.

Also like the idea of the shakle mounts on the TJM. Did you fab up those shackle mounts yourself or purchase them already made? I'd like to add a set to my T-15.

Mounting the shackle brackets as you have, is there a chance if pulled hard, they could bend out of the bumper? Just wonding what kind of load could be placed on them if you had to use them...what's their limits you think? (I know it says "3 ton" on the bracket itself, just curious if they could infact bend the bumper.)

Again, nice job on all the new mods
Well the same bumper sports a 9000k winch. Soo hypothetically the winch is rated for 9k and is mounted pretty solid. I bought them from expedition exchange. You have to buy the mount backing plates separate. But solid none the less. I figure if I can winch against my factory tow hook with 2 holes these should be ok.

Aaron
Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Sweet. Love that Ham. Got pics of it installed in the rig? When you get the bumper, post up pictures of the antenna.
Not yet Im doing a temp mount on the passenger side of the tranny hump.

Aaron
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome Aaron, now get something that will help you offroad! cough lockers cough
Old 07-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
awesome Aaron, now get something that will help you offroad! cough lockers cough
If I remember correctly I didnt have MUCH of an issue, especially since mine didn't, ummm how to you say break down on the trail! Just kidding

Aaron
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM

Where did you get the Blue Sea sys.fuse block? I've been shopping for those one Ebay, but they're kind of up there on cost. I was thinking of just going to a Painless system for 20 bucks more.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by frodin1
Where did you get the Blue Sea sys.fuse block? I've been shopping for those one Ebay, but they're kind of up there on cost. I was thinking of just going to a Painless system for 20 bucks more.
The painless is nice I Had one on our 67 scout. I bought it from west marine, here in FL they have quite a few store front but also are online. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&classNum=null
I have a fuse block under the hood as well not waterproof but does the job of splitting power, The under the dash blue sea made for a nice clean look. I will get pictures.

Aaron
Old 07-13-2007, 05:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Was in the bone yard recently and found a Gen 1 that still had the roll bar installed. You guys are getting me curious now about my next mod. Will have to search the posts for install stuff on yours there Slider. Sounds really gr8
Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Was in the bone yard recently and found a Gen 1 that still had the roll bar installed. You guys are getting me curious now about my next mod. Will have to search the posts for install stuff on yours there Slider. Sounds really gr8
Go for it!

Check my profile in my sig...there's a link in my profile to the write up I did on my sliders and roll bar install. It might not be as detailed as it should be, but it will give you a good start.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:12 PM

Ritzy, put an add in Craigslist locally. You'd be supprised how many will pop up. I did it here where I live and found them anywhere from $90, down to free just get it outta my yard. The wife didn't care for the idea of putting it in mine so that mod got over ruled!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

Ritzy, put an add in Craigslist locally. You'd be supprised how many will pop up. I did it here where I live and found them anywhere from $90, down to free just get it outta my yard. The wife didn't care for the idea of putting it in mine so that mod got over ruled!
i got one in my basement that Rockotaco has yet to pic up lol, bout to install it myself (just kidding Chris)
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

hmm or you can just bring it with you, i've been in the market for one for a while now
Old 07-13-2007, 07:18 PM

My wife was not for it either, but I just put it in anyway. I like her opinion but not being an technical type it just doesn't do justice to my vehicles needs.

Aaron
Old 08-27-2007, 06:26 PM

Ok so some more mods to come. Aisin manual hub swap, aussie front locker, rear LSD, and 4.56 gears. I found the hubs on Ebay for $130, all the other parts will be sourced out through toyota part sales. The aussie locker was $240+ shipping, still waiting on the LSD and gear quotes. Probably around $1K, then there install for it all.

Aaron
Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 PM

That roll bar is death waiting to happen, its not welded to the frame. For the shackle mounts those need to be welded on and not bolted on....sweet runner by the way.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM

The roll bar is fine, remember these vehicles don't go very fast and certainly don't make high speed maneuvers. It's in the event it rolls while wheeling it, the truck will be less likely to crush my freezer fridge. Yeah the shackle mounts will be fine as they are currently(assuming no heavy load is applied), there is a backing plate and if you welded to this bumper you would further weaken it. The proper way is to reinforce the mounting horns for the actual bumper as shown in earlier posts. Though they have shown no sign of fatigue thus far. My brother has a Bentup bumper and welded tabs, totally different setup and no doubt more bomb proof than the TJM. And thank you for the compliment.

Aaron
Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ARB1977
That roll bar is death waiting to happen, its not welded to the frame.
It's mounted the same way in the 1st gen 4Runners and I've never heard of anyone getting killed by the roll bar.

Quick Reply: Whole buncha Mod's