Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Who has put cams in their 3vze?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who has put cams in their 3vze?

I already searched and couldnt find much.

Anyone put any different cams in their 3vze and what was the net result?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking DOA website for cams and for how much he wants I dont think its worth it and im guessing they are regrinds because he wants your old ones for cores.http://www.doaracingengines.com/page8/page8.html
Old 05-12-2005, 03:22 PM

I have 260 grind cams in mine. DOA's works out to 240, i think. The machine shop got them for me. I don't think anyone makes new cams for the 3vze, unless you get a custom made one. However, my motor is still breaking in, so any info i have regarding a difference is useless. sorry. i'll let you know when its all broke in.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:46 PM

i would not touch any DOA product after some of the horror stories I've heard. however I did find a place on the net that has 4 different cam grinds for the 3vze...

what are stock cams and what does "260 grind or 240 grind" mean? Is that the lift or duration or both?

Does it idle the same or do you have a lumpy idle? How long is break in?

sorry about the million questions...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-12-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have links for the places that have the cams. I wouldn't buy from doa after the thread on the head stud kit its the only place I found cams
Old 05-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe some camry heads?...wait can you do that?..you would need a new ECU and wiring harness than because its DOHC
Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by DudeBud
Do you have links for the places that have the cams. I wouldn't buy from doa after the thread on the head stud kit its the only place I found cams
http://toyotaperformance.com/3_0l.htm

they are stupid expensive on that site...but they have them.

so what does a 260 grind mean?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Bumpin' Yota: I was hoping you would know the difference. Im not sure what the specs are. i'll get them tomorrow if i can. all i do know is the "grind" like a catalog #.

89macrunner: DOHC cams wouldn't work no way, no how. they don't have all the lobes you need to run the intake and exhaust valves, since they only run one set each.

by the way, my cams were only $200, no core, just exchange.

Last edited by ChaseHeadrick; 05-12-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

I don't really have anything specific to your 3.0 request, however, in my experience with cams (both myself and tuner buddies on various vehicles) you really need to have the heads done too (P&P). Otherwise, you will really be defeating the purpose of changing the lift and duration as the engine will not be able to breathe like it should with the intake and exhaust valves opening and closing at the new interval and duration. Just something to keep in mind if you do find any worthwhile...and headwork can get really expensive, really quick.

Another thought is custom cam sprockets (you are DOHC, right?). I have no idea how this would work on your engine, but with a dyno, cam sprockets have been quite successful on Honda engines such as the B18 series and D series, among others. The key of course is spending the money to have your engine tuned...but considering the cost of cams and headwork, it might be a viable option.

Let me know what you think.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes i know that, haha i guess you just misunderstood what i was saying

i was thinking has anyone put camry heads on our block? They are the same motor minus the heads
Old 05-12-2005, 06:12 PM

oh yeah. sorry. the heads will bolt to our blocks, but because they are DOHC, they are wider than the SOHC heads. Therefore, you would need to use the camry intake manifold, which unfortunately points the wrong way in our trucks. (intake would face the firewall). If someone was a skilled fabricator (NOT me) they could weld flanges between the camry lower intake and our upper, that might work, but i don't know how well the runners would line up.

not to get off topic or anything.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:48 PM

Location: Las Vegas.. Soon to be heading for south america in the 4R
unless your ready for a complete motor performance upgrade.. and have the cash to follow through, and can do the work yourself, i wouldnt start doing things like cams.. because when you do cams you gotta do new timing gear, valves and springs, then new intake mani. obviously heder back exhaust.. head work or heads.. blah blah blah.. if your gonna go ahead.. id reccomend planning out all those parts in advance.. and sticking to your plan so that you have all parts that match up well.. (physicly and power band wise)
and if your not doing the work yourself.. then its gonna cost a ÅÅÅÅ load to have em open her up each time..
my .02
Old 05-12-2005, 10:56 PM

ps: grind means degrees, so for each cam lobe imagine a full circle.. 360degrees. for a cam with a 225 grind lets say, it means that 225 degrees are air, and 135 are solid metal cam lobe.. the more they take off.. the more air space is increased..
for our motors wich id consider low rpm, we might even want to decrease duration, cuz in the longer the valve is open, then it is more liekly to start getting pressure loss on the pistons return stroke..

Last edited by 2WICE; 05-12-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 AM

I have a set of cams in my motor. I have no idea what kind of gains they made since I never got to drive my truck with a working motor till I went through it. After getting bent over by DOA racing I can not recomend buying anything from him. If I where to replace my cams I would deal with TCR out of AZ. DOA and most of the other regrinds have a smaller base circle and tend to make the already noisy 3.0's even louder. TCR actually welds theres before regrinding them so you get a stock base circle and in turn a quieter valve train. The main problems with 3.0 cams is the limited amount of valve adjustment available.

Some day I will get mine on the dyno locally but I dont really feel like parting with the $90 right now. I did drive a 99 Taco with the 3.4 5sp on 33's before making the choice to rebuild my 3.0 . I would be very suprised if my peak hp and Torque numbers did not come close or even surpass the stock 3.4
Old 05-13-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2WICE
because when you do cams you gotta do new timing gear, valves and springs, then new intake mani.
Just to clarify, you don't have to do these things. It really depends on the cam(s) selected, motor, and type of gains you are looking for. I have never heard of a new intake manifold being a requirement for a cam upgrade either.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 AM

not required.. by any means.. but to make the most of your investment you need to match up with your upgrades so you get the best power to value.. you deffinetly dont need to do an intake mani and some of the solid parts.. but for the valve train you need to beef it up..
Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

we are talking about 3vze not a old v8. there is not much to the valvetrain maybe get some new springs and reshim .the heads on a 3vze flow fine for a different cam grind.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3-0-3-4-power-build-up-progress-donations-needed-37265/
check this thread
Old 05-13-2005, 02:48 PM

dlbrunner - I know all about that thread....3vzfe heads on a 3vze. I dont want to go that route just yet. No one has actually completed that task yet...

When my engine hits 300,000 it's at the very least going to get a top end rebuild if not a full rebuild.... At that point I was thinking cams. Reshimming is cake with the proper tools!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChaseHeadrick
I have 260 grind cams in mine. DOA's works out to 240, i think. The machine shop got them for me. I don't think anyone makes new cams for the 3vze, unless you get a custom made one. However, my motor is still breaking in, so any info i have regarding a difference is useless. sorry. i'll let you know when its all broke in.

How does it idle? do you know what the stock cams are as far as what their grind numbers would be?

Quick Reply: Who has put cams in their 3vze?