Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Where did you drill a hole through the firewall for wires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you drill a hole through the firewall for wires?

Ok, i am going to be doing all the things that need wires ran ect.. over the next few days to finish my build-up on my 2000 4runner. (don't worry pics and reviews to come...)

Well i am going to have to make a hole in the firewall for all the wires (radio, lights, guages, other things that i don't want to spoil yet...).

So where have ya'll drilled holes through the firswall and what worked best ect?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just poke a hole on the drivers side rubber thingy taht all the wires from the battery go into and underneath the steering column
Old 05-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ok, i am going to be doing all the things that need wires ran ect.. over the next few days to finish my build-up on my 2000 4runner. (don't worry pics and reviews to come...)

Well i am going to have to make a hole in the firewall for all the wires (radio, lights, guages, other things that i don't want to spoil yet...).

So where have ya'll drilled holes through the firswall and what worked best ect?
I've just put them where ever the drill will fit, mostly high on the drivers side, or near where I want it to go (battery, etc). I drill the hole, put a grommet for the wires and put a little silicone spray lube on the wire to help pull it through (so the grommet doesn't come out and cut the wire on the metal).
Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 PM

I'm with LoneRunner, that's what I just did with my amp.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, i thought about putting it through that as well but i just have way to many wires that need to come inside for the stock groments. (2 4guage wires for the amps will fill it up and them i still have a lot more...)

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
I've just put them where ever the drill will fit, mostly high on the drivers side, or near where I want it to go (battery, etc). I drill the hole, put a grommet for the wires and put a little silicone spray lube on the wire to help pull it through (so the grommet doesn't come out and cut the wire on the metal).

That is about what i was thinking but didn't know if there was a "good" place and "bad" places to do it. I guess where the drill gose so does the wires, LOL.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

I guess where the drill gose so does the wires, LOL.
I finally bought an right angle drill...works great on the engine side!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:27 AM

I've never needed to drill any holes in my firewall. I've always used the body wiring grommet in either the left or right side fender run. I have a 4 gauge run along with several multiwire bundles in both my 4Runner and Camry. Both use the left side fender run (remove the splash shield and you'll see the large grommet). Pierce the grommet close to the OE wiring with a coat hanger and pull your wiring through. It helps to use a little silicone lubricant.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

What grommet are you refering to? The only one i see on the right side is the one that the hood latch comes out of and it won't fit all the wires. Is there another one?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:23 AM

Check out how I ran mine (Pics and explanations)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/drilling-new-grommets-through-firewall-107677/

Erich
Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link! I search for help but thos stupid search is all messed up and it didn't come up.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Willcipher
I've never needed to drill any holes in my firewall. I've always used the body wiring grommet in either the left or right side fender run. I have a 4 gauge run along with several multiwire bundles in both my 4Runner and Camry. Both use the left side fender run (remove the splash shield and you'll see the large grommet). Pierce the grommet close to the OE wiring with a coat hanger and pull your wiring through. It helps to use a little silicone lubricant.

The only thing I hate about using those body grommets that are like a sheet of rubber, is that you can tear them real easily. Once they are torn, they need to be resealed which can be difficult. Otherwise, air, water, insects, etc. can make their way into the cab.

The wire must go straight through...any sideways movement will tear a big hole in them.

Great pics in the link...that is what I was talking about earlier...that is how I did mine.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 05-27-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:10 PM

What grommet are you refering to? The only one i see on the right side is the one that the hood latch comes out of and it won't fit all the wires. Is there another one?
You can't see em' until you pop off the wheel and loosen the inner fender liner. Pull the liner down and look up under the fender. It makes a beautifully well protected and stealth install and you don't need to drill any holes.

I've never torn one of these grommets but I've always put grease on a piece of coat hanger and poked it straight through from the wheelwell into the cabin. Even if you tore it, you can easily apply a little silicone sealant to patch it up. Best to look at it from the inside before you pierce it. I've got two 4 conductor 16 ga wires and one 4 gauge wire running through my drivers side grommet in both of my vehicles. I run the wires before I install anything else. Then when I want to add something, I just uncoil an unused wire and use it. This way I never need to run wires from the inside to the outside again.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Not a bad idea, i will have to look in there when i check my brakes tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:15 PM

On my 01 Tacoma there is a rubber grommet about the size of a quarter right at the back of the engine in about the center of the firewall. I had to stand on a crate to get at it but there are no wires going through it. I just placed a slit in it with my pocket knife and ran all my wires through it. Perfect spot!Mike