Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

When the time comes 3.4to 3.4

Old 11-09-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the time comes 3.4to 3.4

When the time comes 250k the 4Runner will need a new mill. I know I have asked before, but this time I already know what I do and don?t want to do. I want to just straight swap my old 3.4 for a new 3.4. I will not be adding a SC but will be adding headers and exhaust. I don?t want a SC simply because of the reliability issue. Yes, I know there are quite a few of you that would tell me you don?t have issues with yours. But I ask you do you put btwn 30k-50k a year on your vehicle to really know what reliability issues lie ahead. My question is from where should this new mill come from? I know if it?s a junk yard I want the same year range 99-02 so I can eliminate problems or differences btwn years.

Aaron
Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
When the time comes 250k the 4Runner will need a new mill. I know I have asked before, but this time I already know what I do and don?t want to do. I want to just straight swap my old 3.4 for a new 3.4. I will not be adding a SC but will be adding headers and exhaust. I don?t want a SC simply because of the reliability issue. Yes, I know there are quite a few of you that would tell me you don?t have issues with yours. But I ask you do you put btwn 30k-50k a year on your vehicle to really know what reliability issues lie ahead. My question is from where should this new mill come from? I know if it?s a junk yard I want the same year range 99-02 so I can eliminate problems or differences btwn years.

Aaron
I will speak to the super charger alone: If you want to put that kind of miles on your 3.4, a super charger that is properly tuned will last 250K easy. Its all in the tuning. People have blown 5.0 Mustangs running 8-10 lbs boost for 150K easy. And I think the 3.4 is more stout than the 5.0.

Just my $.02.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There are probably reman places to get them, or junkyards, or you could buy a salvage from a rollover or something like that.

If you're just going stock, why not rebuild the engine you have? Is it a downtime issue? From my experience with high mileage Toyota engines, they show very light wear on the more expensive parts ie: pistons, cylinder walls, crank, etc. This means you can generally expect to get away with replacing rings, bearings, gaskets for the most part. As long as everything is in tolerence when you put it together you have no reason to not expect another 200k out of your engine. A quick Google search turned up RPM which shows an Engine Kit for $544 and a Master Kit for $835. So my guess is without major machining you could probably complete a rebuild for about $1500 or so, maybe even less.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:57 AM

On the SC note it will add btwn $4K and $5k to have it properly done. I have shopped this one extensively. I would love a SC but the addition in cost isn't worth it. Maybe I'm missing something. I would need SC, fuel mods, or URD kit + labor and install then a magician to tune it.

On the swap not I didn't consider a rebuild or rebuilding my own that might be a more affordable way to go. The down time is an issue currently like if I did the swap tomorrow I have a work truck so no biggie. By then who knows hopefully be driving my cool cruiser restored unit around (oh to dream). I know I want to keep the rig and I drive alot.......alot......alot.... so I figure better to just straight swap out when its time. I was talking to a guy about the 1ufz or fz swap and that would have been an idea but no one is any further on making it easy sooo no go. If this was a trail truck I would love to stay toyota with it but I'd just drop in a 5.7 chevy, or a 4cyl TD. But back on topic 3.4 to 3.4 for sure headers and exhaust unless that has already happened to the current mill.

Aaron
Old 11-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're after reliability I'd stay with the stock exhaust manifold. The newer tubular style 5vz exhaust manifolds seem to work pretty good to me. Now the 4 cylinder manifolds are a different story.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

If you aren't going to SC it then skip the headers too since they won't do much w/o it.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xcmountain80

Aaron
Why do you think it will need a new mill at $250k? Your best money spent is gears, tires, traction(locker) and a lift. The 3.4's have many miles left into them as long as you change ALL of your filters and fluids.

James
Old 11-10-2007, 06:47 AM

Man, if I still have my rig at 250k and my engines goes, I'm swapping in a 1GR-FE. 3.4L is a great engine. But whenever I ride in my friend's 05 4Runner, I do get the envy of the extra power.

But like others have said, no need for a new swap. Just rebuild. If you really need to, I'm sure you can just go to a junkyard or there will be plenty of online sources available at that time.

BTW, I'm at about 35-40k miles per year, too.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as finding a used 5VZ, mine came from a low mileage wreck. I'd trust a salvage engine more than a rebuilt one, unless I did the rebuild myself.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
Why do you think it will need a new mill at $250k? Your best money spent is gears, tires, traction(locker) and a lift. The 3.4's have many miles left into them as long as you change ALL of your filters and fluids.

James
Well if you read my sig you'd know I already have all those lovely things you mentioned. I'm at 150k now and will be at 250k in a year or 2. I love my truck and don't see getting another (4runner) any time soon but the motor swap is the way I want to go. Don't want to be doing the 8000 mile trip from Florida to Maine to BC to CA and back to FL in a vehicle with 300K on the motor. Truth is I want to swap at 250k because I think it's the right thing to do. The mileage will come sooner than expected and I want my game plan in play long before I get there. I need reliability so no crazy mods, he 1GR might be a tricky electrical swap with the vvti if Im thinking of the right engine. I thought about a 5.4 or 5.7 but Toyota mills aren't cheap.

Aaron
Old 11-10-2007, 03:46 PM

the 1uz 4.0L lexus v8 should fit nicely, thats what i plan to swap when i grenade the engine or transmission in mine. there was a former staff member doing the swap to his 2nd gen, he shall remain nameless.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:51 PM

I know C to the e by but he cautioned me against such a swap because they still have no got all the kinks worked out and the adapters are still difficult to come by because each are 1 offs of the last. I know it will weigh about the same which is good and the power range is a nice addition but still for the reliability issue you can't beat the stock wiring looms. I wanted to believe me but no go on reliability. Actually there is a 1-UZ forum where there talk about this.

Aaron