Old 08-10-2005, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SloPoke,

Thanks for those numbers!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long should they last? I have 34,6xx miles, and it sounds like a "whirring" noise while driving. All kinds of pops and bangs while making slow turns or while parallel parking too.

I take it I can't repack on the third gen (sealed), just buy new ones?
What did they run you guys who replaced them?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:57 PM

No, you cannot repack them ^. Replace with new ones. I get em for about 53.00 at the stealer.

You sure the pops and bang are from the wheel and not a cv, u-joint, or doink't up 3rd?

The whirring noise sounds like it's the wheel bearing. Jack you front wheel up and shake it back and forth. Any play?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SloPoke
No, you cannot repack them ^. Replace with new ones. I get em for about 53.00 at the stealer.

You sure the pops and bang are from the wheel and not a cv, u-joint, or doink't up 3rd?

The whirring noise sounds like it's the wheel bearing. Jack you front wheel up and shake it back and forth. Any play?

Will look into bearings when I get back from a road trip.

I'm not sure what the pops and bangs are. I know it comes from the front end while moving slow (or not moving at all) and rotating the steering wheel.
Groans, pops and bangs.

I will do that if I can get to rotate my tires tomorrow.

Thanks much SloPoke.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:08 PM

Hey man, from what you describe......while it's in the air and your shaking the wheel feeling for any play in the hub take a peek see at your upper and lower ball joints for excessive movement. Also, while it's on the ground and not moving, turn from side to side just a bit and watch the rod ends on the rack and pinion. They have a ball joint as well so it could be them.
Sorry man, no breakdown drawing on the rack and pinion but they are easy enough to check. If you need to, those little black boots are pretty easily loostened and pushed out of the way.
Rod ends run about the same as a front wheel bearing I believe, depending on if you need the inners, the outers, or both.

Hopefully your just checking everything in vein and all of the noises are just the bearing or caused by one issue.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Hey man, from what you describe......while it's in the air and your shaking the wheel feeling for any play in the hub take a peek see at your upper and lower ball joints for excessive movement. Also, while it's on the ground and not moving, turn from side to side just a bit and watch the rod ends on the rack and pinion. They have a ball joint as well so it could be them.
Sorry man, no breakdown drawing on the rack and pinion but they are easy enough to check. If you need to, those little black boots are pretty easily loostened and pushed out of the way.
Rod ends run about the same as a front wheel bearing I believe, depending on if you need the inners, the outers, or both.

Hopefully your just checking everything in vein and all of the noises are just the bearing or caused by one issue.

The little black boot on the drivers side pops off a lot. The ball joint is rusting. I coated it lightly with grease, but it'll just keep popping off when I turn.

I'm really starting to give up on it all. I won't sell it, I'll just mothball it for awhile. 3 more payments left. And I'm off to work.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the thread with the steering rack breakdown:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/steering-rack-movement-sound-can-you-help-me-out-46028/

.....it has diagnosis of pretty much everything steering related in there!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-12-2005 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

I rubbed grease on all the bushings and changed the rotors and a few other things.

The whirring noise is gone from what I can tell.

The craking and moaning is gone. I just have an occasional "pop" when making a turn around a corner.

Looks like it'll be time to replace all he fittings with grease fittings since the rubber seals are dry rotting.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM

Does anyone know if these part numbers are still good?

Oh yeah...bringing this one back to life..
Old 12-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 94x4
All bearings come "clean" and are required to be "packed" prior to installation..., unless the new 3rd. gens. have their own internal lube already, don't know.
Tapered Roller Bearings come "clean" while hub assemblies are "Sealed for Life" on 4th and up, and possible the 3rd you are discussing. see my post re 4th gen bearing change out.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by toyota_tx
Tapered Roller Bearings come "clean" while hub assemblies are "Sealed for Life" on 4th and up, and possible the 3rd you are discussing. see my post re 4th gen bearing change out.
You do realize that post you responded to is over 8 years old, right?

I would imagine the part #'s would be the same, if not, some Toyota parts websites will tell you the updated part # when you search, if it has one.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM

I'm still looking for write up on wheel bearings