Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

what else do i need for my lift?

Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure you have some beer to drink while doing the lift... Sometimes overlooked, but definitly a must (may be more important than the diff drop and panhard bar )
Old 09-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by The_Big_D
the thing is, i can't exactly purchase one of steve's kits... i am in Canada and for those of you not familiar with customs and shipping charges, something of that weight would cost me HUGE HUGE money... probably at least a few hundred bucks just to ship it here by the time i pay duty on it... i am not saying i haven't loked at steve's site and debated it either, because the kits look great and i would love to be able to purchase everything in one shot... i guess we'll see...

thanks for the respones
That is incorrect, in fact one of the posters here is in Canada and I shipped him and many others up there the lift kits. UPS charges the same to deliver it to you as it does to anywhere in the US. At 85 pounds, it's more the weight than the distance being billed.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 09-13-2006 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 97Limited
Hi, I'm in Canada
North of the border.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
That is incorrect, in fact one of the posters here is in Canada and I shipped him and many others up there the lift kits. UPS chrages the same to deliver it to you as it does to anywhere in the US. At 85 pounds, it'smore the weight than the distance being billed.
Not so fast Steve....now you're doing the misinformation thing a bit too.

When you ship UPS it is a function of weight and distance (so I assume you mean that given distance and weight are the same, regardless of the destination in US/Canada, the cost will be the same.....which is true as long as the locations fall in the same shipping zones). In addition to this, UPS pulls a fast one on all their standard ground shipping rates (Expedited and Express are exempt) by charging for doing "paperwork" to clear customs (they are the only shipping company that does this in Canada BTW.....can you say ripoff!). Then the wonderful gov't up here tacks on another 14% tax on declared value (only 6% in Alberta, lucky dogs) due on delivery. So yeah, shipping UPS basically sucks major donkey nuts up here (UPS was my shipper of choice when sending stuff within the US). I always ship stuff USmail/Canada Post whenever I can to get away from this nonesense of frivolous charges for nothing. So The_Big_D is not actually incorrect if you count all the BS charges you deal with up here. Believe me, it is one of the biggest downsides to living up here IMHO and it makes ordering stuff off eBay a royal PITA.

Rates for customs clearance:
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-13-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Not so fast Steve....now you're doing the misinformation thing a bit too.

When you ship UPS it is a function of weight and distance (so I assume you mean that given distance and weight are the same, regardless of the destination in US/Canada, the cost will be the same.....which is true as long as the locations fall in the same shipping zones). In addition to this, UPS pulls a fast one on all their standard ground shipping rates (Expedited and Express are exempt) by charging for doing "paperwork" to clear customs (they are the only shipping company that does this in Canada BTW.....can you say ripoff!). Then the wonderful gov't up here tacks on another 14% tax on declared value (only 6% in Alberta, lucky dogs) due on delivery. So yeah, shipping UPS basically sucks major donkey nuts up here (UPS was my shipper of choice when sending stuff within the US). I always ship stuff USmail/Canada Post whenever I can to get away from this nonesense of frivolous charges for nothing. So The_Big_D is not actually incorrect if you count all the BS charges you deal with up here. Believe me, it is one of the biggest downsides to living up here IMHO and it makes ordering stuff off eBay a royal PITA.

Rates for customs clearance:
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
Well then it looks like the Big D will have to look for other options. From my end in the US it is the same. I am not in Canada and do not know he rules.

Signing off here. I'm not trying to sell anything. I move 2-3 of these kits through every week. I'm good with that and if it does not work out for this guy, so be it.

My data is that I pay the same UPS rate from PHX to ALBQ, PHX to Detroit, PHX to NYC as I do PHX to Vancouver.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 09-13-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Not trying to give you a hard time Steve, just give you accurate info so if someone does want one of your kits sent to Canada, you can tell them exactly what to expect. If you are talking just straight shipping rates, then yep, your right on the money. The issue is that UPS and the gov't get into the recipient's pockets before the package gets delivered too.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-13-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, like I said, I have shipped many up there with UPS, I would assume that the people were just paying the taxes then.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, like I said, I have shipped many up there with UPS, I would assume that the people were just paying the taxes then.
Yep, it's a bit of a shocker if you've never done it before and then get a big bill (happened to me twice before I figured out what the game was.....UPS customs clearance is usually due upon reciept of the package and then the gov't sends you a bill for the tax due to the address the package was delivered), but if people expect it, then at least you can figure it all in. I doubt that will stop people buying your kits, you have one of the best offerings out there for these trucks.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-13-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

What if it's a "gift". I think my pen slipped and I checked that box by mistake on a few of them.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

What if it's a "gift". I think my pen slipped and I checked that box by mistake on a few of them.
That "oops" helps on the gov't taxes.
Another "oops" is to combine that with a declared value of $60 or less.
Combine the two and you're in business.

Like the penguins say......"you didn't see a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g".....

Unfortunately, there is no way around the UPS customs broker fee though.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-13-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 AM

thanks MTL_4runner for helping out with shipping quote for me....

going by your ups charge site ($59.50) and the value of the item to be taxed ($1175 CDN, which is about $160 cdn) it will cost me about $220 CDN PLUS the actual UPS shipping charge for steve to sent it to me... gross....

shipping anything expensive and heavy to us up here sucks so bad...

Last edited by The_Big_D; 09-13-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

I can use FedEx Ground or DHL if that would be better. I don't "have" to use UPS. But I won't use the US Mail as I have had quite a few of those flat rate boxes/envelopes delivered empty.

That is an acceptable risk on inexpesive stuff, but not for something this expensive.

I have also shipping to a postal store right on the border in the US and the customer drives the stuff over.