Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What could be wrong with my panhard rod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What could be wrong with my panhard rod?

I too have noticed that my rearend sits to the right side a little bit. The only problem is that I haven't lifted the back end yet.

I got under my car and looked at the panhard rod and noticed that the right side of the rod sits about 2" higher than the left side. I can also see that my coils aren't lined up straight.

The only thing that I can figure did this, was when some idiot hit my back passenger side when I was parked in the parking garage . It was a strong enough hit to make my TDS alarm go off. It also left two light dents on the chrome side of the bumper . The dents are so light that I am probably the only one who will notice them. I wouldn't think this would have been enough to cause a problem, but that is the only thing I can think of. Otherwise the car has never been wrecked.

I looked underneath the car and everything seems straight. I didn't see anything that looked bent or out of place.

What could be the problem? Could it be that my coils were tweaked when I was hit in the parking garage? Do you think my rearend will line it self back up whenever I replace my coils with the Downey HD's or will it just get worse?

Thanks for the help.

Yotatech is the Best!!!!

P.S. I hope to get a digital camera soon.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anybody actually gone out and looked at a stock 2nd gen to see what the panhard actually looks like? Maybe it came from the factory tilted like that. It seems a lot of people are saying their tires are sticking out to the right.

So far, I am convinced it came from the factory like that. Somebody, go out and take a picture of your stock, sagging 2nd gen. ( I say that because nobody has a new 2nd gen)

Last edited by Robinhood150; 04-24-2003 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:33 PM

I just put the Downeys on last Friday and my panhard rod was flat before I did. I paid attention because I read all the posts about it and the pass side tire sticking out. The panhard rod is now higher on the frame side.

Mat
Old 04-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

EOD30:

Do you have before and after photos? I'm thinking about getting the Downey coils and would like to see what the finished product looks like. Also, what model number did you get?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Sometimes I'm a little slow...

I checked your Webshots page and what did I find? Before and after photos.

Your after shot looks a lot like my before shot, though. How many tools do you keep in the back? There's definitely a serious difference in your before and after photos, but it doesn't look much higher than stock. Was that what you were after?
Old 04-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Like Robinhood150 said, if someone could get a picture of their stock (no lift) panhard rod on a 2nd gen that would be great. I want to make sure I don't have a problem before I do my lift. If I do have a problem, I want to get it fixed. I would hate to do my lift and have my rearend be off to the side an inch or more.

If anyone has anymore ideas that could help too.

Thanks Again,
Old 04-25-2003, 09:27 AM

Kevin-

Part # on the coils: 48290 HD. Ordered from Central4WD.

The pic of my 4Runner with the really saggy but, the one I said had tools in it, the tools were (1) 3.5 Ton rated floor jack, (2) 8 Ton rated jack stands. (2) impact wrenches, (2) hand tool sets, 50 ft Air Hose, the coil lift kit, SAW torsion bars (not installed yet) and a few other small items I cant remember. All of it was used for installing the coil kit and taken just before I started. I have access to a motor pool with air for my tools.
I have been driving around with the jack, jack stands, and impact wrenches for a few days after the install, and the rear has not squated at all.

What I was after was to put the rear back to level abd be able to load it with a moderate amount of gear and it not sag. I will be testing it out next week as I am going TDY to Fort Sill, OK with mine and my team members gear.

I dont have pics of the panhard rod before I lifted it. Sorry.

Mat