Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Water in Diff/Extended Diff Breather Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water in Diff/Extended Diff Breather Mod?

After I put my Downey HD coils in, I ended up driving through a river (funny how that happens). The deepest part was maybe 1.5-2ft deep. I was only in the water for about 30 secs each way. I'm pretty sure it wasn't long enough to cool my diff. Some friends of mine had driven down the river and parked on some rocks to drink some beer. So I was going to meet them.

Anyways, I don't have extended breathers on my diffs yet. I did check my rear diff fluid (when it was cold, ie the next morning) and I didn't see any water sitting on the top of it. I also didn't have any water come out when I took the plug out. If I took on water, wouldn't that would raise the level in the diff and then I would have fluid come out whenever I removed the plug. Everything looked just as it should.

So do you guys think that I may have still taken on any water? I didn't check the front diff because I figured it would look the same as the rear. I've put on a couple hundred miles since then without any problems.

I noticed that my stupid breather sits right on top of the diff. How retarded. Isn't the write-up in the tech section done on a 3rd gen. Will the fitting PN be the same for a 2nd gen? Also, how hard is it to do the front diff? What about the tranny and transfer case?

I've noticed that some people are using things different than the breather you buy from Toyota. Is it best to just buy the breather from Toyota?

Thanks for the input

Old 06-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

The only way to find out is to change it. And that's really pretty easy. I say change it to be safe, and put in the diff breather extension while you are under there.

The front should be ok, that breather is relatively high up.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check both. Transfer case too. My Landcruiser sucks water in during deep water work. If you do get any water, it gets churned up with the oil and sort of makes it look like a gloppy brown/grey milkshake.
(Also, oil floats on top of water if they are not churned up yet)
Old 06-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Yoda
(Also, oil floats on top of water if they are not churned up yet)
That's what I originally thought too. But then I was thinking since it is 80-90W, wouldn't it be heavier than the water? I know that lighter oils will float, but the fact that it is heavier has me wondering.

I'll go ahead and check my other diff and transfer case. Is the breather hard to locate on the transfer case? I haven't looked at it yet, but I have no idea as to where it is.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
The front should be ok, that breather is relatively high up.
None too sure that this was the same on the 2nd gen. 3rd gen extended the front breather about tire heigth, but on the second gens i am pretty sure that the front had it mounted right on top just like the rear. I could be wrong, but i remember reading this on a few posts in yotatech. If im right though, i also remember people saying that it is a royal PITA to do the front unless you are lifted (due to very little wrench room) Anywho, hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:20 PM

I just got done extending the front, transfer, and transmission breathers. The front is easy because it is in plain view in the engine compartment on the driver side wheel well. The transfer case and transmission breathers are about 3" from eachother. If you remove your shifter boot they are right there.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AgRunner06
That's what I originally thought too. But then I was thinking since it is 80-90W, wouldn't it be heavier than the water? I know that lighter oils will float, but the fact that it is heavier has me wondering.
80W90 isn't any heavier, just thicker. Pretty much all oil is less dense than water, and will float on top.