Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Video containing general info: 1998 Supercharged 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video containing general info: 1998 Supercharged 4Runner

It has been a long time sense I spent any time tweaking my 1998 Supercharged 4Runner. Back in the day, I did a lot of tuning and 1/4 mile drag racing with it but up to now, it had been used as my my wintertime daily driver.

I ran across a cool video posted by Texas_Ace showing his meth injection kit... his video inspired me to do some wrenching on the 4Runner again.

I learned a lot about tuning forced induction vehicles sense the time I was racing the 4Runner (and my normally aspirated dragbike). I have been tinkering with a 2005 Subaru STi during the lag in 4Runner tweaking. I do all of the wrenching (except for assy of the rotating mass) and tuning on the STi and decided to put some of the knowledge gained into the 4Runner.

The STi has run a best time of 11.44 with a trap of 123.6 in the 1/4 mile... and it is street driven during the summertime.

The 4Runner has mustered a best time of 14.89 @ 89mph trap speed.

If I don't loose interest.. I may take the 4Runner back to the track this spring to prove out the tuning improvements.

I made the video below to visualize the mods I am running today and a little history about the vehicle which has 198K miles on it!

http://youtu.be/eA7cOipxOBs
Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice video, reminds me a lot of my videos lol.

You remind me a lot of me as well. I also have been working on other faster cars in the lull of working on the 4runner. Got an MR2 myself, had 350whp before the rebuild that was meant to crack 500whp but the timing belt slipped.

It is kinda on hold right now, starting over with plans to go play with the big boys. Hoping to crack 700whp++ on this next setup with one of the sexiest powerbands seen on an MR2 to date. Should easily be a low 10 second car in street trim.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM

When I found your video on the meth 4Runner, I thought the same... another power nut... ha...

Sense I ran the 11.4, I have had Pauter rods installed and had the heads ported. I spent last summer dialing in new injectors and a second fuel pump to make the mix happy.... I want to run a 10 second pass but don't want to install a roll bar. The thought has crossed my mind to "accidentally" run a 10 but not sure if it is worth the risk... we will see next year!

BTW... what do you carry? I have a Ruger SR9C... great gun...

Another BTW.. I saw your video of the MR2 on the Dyno.. looked very nice.. till...

Here is me blasting away the 11.44:

http://youtu.be/KcwIvyJ8oaY

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Nice video, reminds me a lot of my videos lol.

You remind me a lot of me as well. I also have been working on other faster cars in the lull of working on the 4runner. Got an MR2 myself, had 350whp before the rebuild that was meant to crack 500whp but the timing belt slipped.

It is kinda on hold right now, starting over with plans to go play with the big boys. Hoping to crack 700whp++ on this next setup with one of the sexiest powerbands seen on an MR2 to date. Should easily be a low 10 second car in street trim.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeff B. in Michigan
When I found your video on the meth 4Runner, I thought the same... another power nut... ha...

Sense I ran the 11.4, I have had Pauter rods installed and had the heads ported. I spent last summer dialing in new injectors and a second fuel pump to make the mix happy.... I want to run a 10 second pass but don't want to install a roll bar. The thought has crossed my mind to "accidentally" run a 10 but not sure if it is worth the risk... we will see next year!

BTW... what do you carry? I have a Ruger SR9C... great gun...

Another BTW.. I saw your video of the MR2 on the Dyno.. looked very nice.. till...

Here is me blasting away the 11.44:

http://youtu.be/KcwIvyJ8oaY
I am a bit of a power nut lol. I would so turbo the 4runner if I could find a manifold to do it right.

What turbo you running? The STI is a lot easier to tune for big power then the 20 year old MR2 lol. Heck ya'lls stock turbo cars make more power then most MR2's. We are a lot lighter though so it evens things out somewhat.

My car ran what would have been a 12 flat with just ~300whp for example. STI is a nice car for sure, i love the AWD.

What I carry depends on the day, usually the Glock 19 (9mm x 15 rounds) or the Glock 30 (.45 x 10 rounds). The Ruger SR9 also looks tempting with that big magazine. The M&P is nice as well but don't carry it as much, not a fan of cleaning it compared to the glocks.

I will carry other stuff (and some times multiples) to change things up from time to time. Full sized 1911 is comfy to shoot but low round count and heavy gun makes it a little impractical.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 AM

I am running an FP Red with an 8 cm housing. The engine is flowing more air than the turbo hot side can get rid of.. I really need to upgrade to something bigger but really enjoy the daily drive-ability of the FP Red.

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I am a bit of a power nut lol. I would so turbo the 4runner if I could find a manifold to do it right.

What turbo you running? The STI is a lot easier to tune for big power then the 20 year old MR2 lol. Heck ya'lls stock turbo cars make more power then most MR2's. We are a lot lighter though so it evens things out somewhat.

My car ran what would have been a 12 flat with just ~300whp for example. STI is a nice car for sure, i love the AWD.

What I carry depends on the day, usually the Glock 19 (9mm x 15 rounds) or the Glock 30 (.45 x 10 rounds). The Ruger SR9 also looks tempting with that big magazine. The M&P is nice as well but don't carry it as much, not a fan of cleaning it compared to the glocks.

I will carry other stuff (and some times multiples) to change things up from time to time. Full sized 1911 is comfy to shoot but low round count and heavy gun makes it a little impractical.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeff B. in Michigan
I am running an FP Red with an 8 cm housing. The engine is flowing more air than the turbo hot side can get rid of.. I really need to upgrade to something bigger but really enjoy the daily drive-ability of the FP Red.
The red is not a bad turbo, like you said a bigger backside housing would do you good but can always get to that later.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 AM

Awww, I love seeing a budding bromance...