Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Vibrations wihle braking?

Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrations wihle braking?

After driving at a decent speed for about an hour on the freeway yesterday, I noticed when I got back on the city streets that my truck vibrated pretty bad when braking. It eventually goes away, but it's got me concerned. I ran a search and all I came up with was maybe warped rotors? Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:24 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would bet warped rotors if its occuring only when braking and more noticible if your braking downhill. Im on my second set so last set was replaced with crossdrills no problems in almost a year now.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a known problem with 3rd gen 4runners. The rotors can warp easily. Even wehn turned down it can re-appear quicker than if you replace them with new rotors. If it continues, I'd just get NEW ROTORS - they are pretty reasonable.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies guys! So how much do rotors cost to replace? Are they relatively easy to do yourself? (with a manual of course)
Old 12-10-2003, 09:51 AM
WT

Price varies depending on what you plan on getting ? OME or other. I say 50 - 200 a rotor, Replacements simple as removing 2 bolts that hold your caliper on and sliding it out of the way to pop old rotor off and new one on like 10-15 mins per side. I replaced mine with these:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacob...unner%20brakes
Here is what it looks like installed:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69409763qwjspz
Old 12-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks WT! That was more $$ than I'd been expecting though, however, if their simple to install I guess I'd save a ton on labor. Thing is, I have a 3000 mile round trip planned for this January, but cant really afford those rotors beforehand.....are they crucial for an upcoming trip like mine? The vibration isnt TERRIBLE, but it is noticeable.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:30 PM

Just get them turned. The brake shop will tell you if they are still ok. Very easy to remove and get turned. If they are no good use them till you can afford new ones.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:02 PM
WT

Originally posted by Pretacopower
Thanks WT! That was more $$ than I'd been expecting though, however, if their simple to install I guess I'd save a ton on labor. Thing is, I have a 3000 mile round trip planned for this January, but cant really afford those rotors beforehand.....are they crucial for an upcoming trip like mine? The vibration isnt TERRIBLE, but it is noticeable.
I say a turning if worth one try like Zedex said but if its not real bad and you can live with it leave it alone for now mine was so bad at one point comming down the mountain the whole dash started to shake something I rather not live with and figured if I got them turned it more than likely would re-occur shortly, so I went and got new ones since I was doing my lift and new tires and wheels. I know others here have found cheaper prices than these I'm sure they will chime in.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:11 PM

GET NEW ONES

I'd just get new ones. I had the same problem with my 4Runner and turning them just made me more angry with the truck. The vibration would come back in less than a week. Go to www.taylorautomotive.com and get the Brembo OEM brake rotors and the Akebono ceramic brake pads ( DO NOT USE METALLIC BRAKE PADS) they heat up the rotors and make them easier to warp. MAke sure u put the shims on the pads too. Don't go with a NApa or AutoZone rotor. THey aren't good quality rotors for these trucks. Order a Brembo , Raybestos, or OEM Toyota Rotor.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:25 PM

I replace the solid "junk" rotors on my tercel about every year or so. (course me driving it like a rally car doesn't help) One got so bad it darn near bounced my foot off the pedal. Good thing my cost at Napa is $8 bucks a peice
Old 12-17-2003, 09:34 PM

Re: Vibrations wihle braking?

Originally posted by Pretacopower
After driving at a decent speed for about an hour on the freeway yesterday, I noticed when I got back on the city streets that my truck vibrated pretty bad when braking. It eventually goes away, but it's got me concerned. I ran a search and all I came up with was maybe warped rotors? Any ideas?
I agree with the possibility of warped rotors, but there could be another issue here. You said it happened after a long period of highway driving, and it went away after a while. It might be that you have a caliper which is not releasing completely. It would cause the pads to rub on the rotors and heat them up. The long highway drive would have made the rotors hot enough to warp somewhat and cause the brake vibration. But after slower city driving, the rotors cooled down and the warp went away. When you get the rotors checked, make sure they check the calipers too.