Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Urgent help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Urgent help needed!!!

So i get in my 4runner today and it doesn't start. A few days ago when I would turn the ignition to start it, it sounded like the battery was drained and took a few tries to finally turn over. And today it did that same thing for a sec, and then started making a rapid clicking noise. Is this a bad starter and or battery? If it's the starter should i take it in and have it fixed or is it relatively easy to replace myself? And if it's the battery, I was thinking of upgrading to an optima, but was unsure of which one to get red/yellow etc. Please send some replies ASAP. thanks.

Last edited by Xpresident; 06-06-2004 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Xpresident
So i get in my 4runner today and it doesn't start. A few days ago when I would turn the ignition to start it, it sounded like the battery was drained and took a few tries to finally turn over. And today it did that same thing for a sec, and then started making a rapid clicking noise. Is this a bad starter and or battery? If it's the starter should i take it in and have it fixed or is it relatively easy to replace myself? And if it's the battery, I was thinking of upgrading to an optima, but was unsure of which one to get red/yellow etc. Please send some replies ASAP. thanks.
Pull the battery, take it to a parts store that will check it for free. If the battery is Ok then sounds like your Alternator is going bad and not charging it.

I would try that first.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:04 PM

Yeah, check the battery first. Starters are much more difficult and expensive to replace. To get mine off, the engine had to be jacked up off the mounts (headers). Not fun. The 'rapid clicking noise' you described sounds like a dead battery or dirty battery terminals to me.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

starter contacts? only two parts for about $12 but you'll need to pull the starter and disassemble to replace the contacts.

Last edited by keisur; 06-06-2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

If you get an Optima, I recoment the red top because it has the most cranking amps. The yellow top is a deep cycle for rv use. It cost more and it doesn't put out as manny amps so unless you plan on draining the thing all the way, get the red. I have one and it is trully the best you can buy. It charges so fast the my external plug in charger overloads when I hook it up to charge it!
Old 06-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 3 guesses:

1. Starter contacts
2. loose battery wire
3. battery.

How old is your battery? If it's original, then yeah, that might be it. If not, then I'd say it's your starter contacts. Do a search and you'll find a plethora of info on that.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bike4miles
If you get an Optima, I recoment the red top because it has the most cranking amps. The yellow top is a deep cycle for rv use. It cost more and it doesn't put out as manny amps so unless you plan on draining the thing all the way, get the red. I have one and it is trully the best you can buy. It charges so fast the my external plug in charger overloads when I hook it up to charge it!
the Blue Top is identical to the Yellow but is made for marine and is designed to withstand vibrations better than the Yellow. If you offroad alot I would say go for the Blue. I have a Blue and it cranks great.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

check this site for the starter contacts replacement:

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/afertig...rterrepair.htm
Old 06-07-2004, 06:06 PM

So i took out the battery today, and took it in, it was fully charged but only putting out 69CCA. Went fot the optima yellow top because the guy suggested thats what I should run since i've got a subs and amps in the rear. So i take it back and the positive cable won't reach. WTF. I'm pissed. Anyone recomend good replacement cables? I think that the positive would reach if the wire coming from the fuse box to the power cable wasn't so short. I would attempt to make that longer and i'm sure it would reach the terminal, but have no clue on how to go about doing so. Any suggestions????
Old 06-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Xpresident
So i take it back and the positive cable won't reach. WTF. I'm pissed. Anyone recomend good replacement cables? I think that the positive would reach if the wire coming from the fuse box to the power cable wasn't so short. I would attempt to make that longer and i'm sure it would reach the terminal, but have no clue on how to go about doing so. Any suggestions????
I'm trying to sympathize with you but I am kind of snickering at the same time. somebody dropped the ball, they should have warned you about that. I pulled my entire power cable from the starter to the battery and installed a 2 gage longer one. You can extend the stock one but I wouldn't recommend it. you pretty much want an unbroken cable from the battery to the starter. I bought either a 72" or an 84" cable (I think it was the 84") from walmart and pulled the old one and separated out the alternator cable and anything else that was run along the harness and reassembled them onto the new longer cable and then reinstalled the cable in the 4runner. those are my two cents. hope it helps. the cable is only about $5 at walmart.

EDIT: oh yea, the white cable from the battery to the fuse box, I cut it, and extended it. I used a $1-$3 brass screw type splice thing from Homodepot and a new ring connector. It hasn't failed me yet. I think I used 4 gage on that, if not then I used 6 gage. I tried to match the original white cable as closely as possible. use a wire with alot of strands not the solid or the kind with only like 6 or 9 strands.

Last edited by keisur; 06-07-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:42 PM

thanks for all the help keisur
Old 06-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

no problemo. if you run into a snag let me know. I'll email you some pics of mine if need be.