Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Truck stumbling a bit when engine is lugged

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Truck stumbling a bit when engine is lugged

Haven't really been able to find this problem anywhere online. It's taken a while to really decide what's even happening, especially since the roads have been icy.

Anyway, what seems to be happening is if I lug the engine (which is something I typically try to avoid) like if I'm rolling through a stop sign (not that I'd ever do that...), turning right in a deserted area, so I stay in 2nd gear and roll slowly through, then hit the gas again at maybe 5mph, the truck jerks and lunges a bit. It was something that was only happening intermittently at first so it was hard to identify, but it's doing it more often now. I passed it off at first as "ah, probably one of my tires was just slipping on a little ice" or something like that.

This is not something the truck ever used to do.

At first I was thinking clutch because it has 250,000 miles on it, and I've been towing a trailer the last couple years. The one test I did was to start out in first, then shift straight to 4th. No clutch slipping. I don't see any rpm revving without the associated acceleration. It's just this weird jerky feeling when I shift too soon or for whatever reason find myself at real low rpm.

No engine codes.

Possibly a completely different issues, and almost definitely my clutch, is that lately after a couple hours on the interstate, my clutch is...weird. Harder to shift, more chattering getting moving from a stop light etc. Seems to get bad after pulling into town after a couple hours at high speeds. But my clutch does have 250,000 on it so I mean it's got to be starting to fade. Just not sure if that's my stumbling, jerky feeling at low rpm.

Any ideas on what to check?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Bucking at low RPM load is often in issue with Dist cap/ rotor/wires/plugs. How long since tune-up???
Old 01-20-2019, 05:47 AM

Hmm, ok. I replaced the plugs and wires in 2016. Showing ignorance (mostly I don't know these things because this truck rarely needs any work) but I didn't think I had a distributor...
Old 01-20-2019, 06:16 AM

Found a couple maybe relevant threads. I'm going to check into: MAF and throttle body cleaning, TPS replacement, coil boots.

I'm sure my clutch is ready to be replaced, but I guess it's probably not what I'm experiencing.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:47 PM

The more I look into those items...I've done them all. I replaced my valve cover gaskets in 2016 and while I was there I replaced plugs, wires and boots, and cleaned the throttle body and IAC. I also cleaned the MAF. It took doing the MAF again this morning to realize "oh yeah, I've done this before" . I think it did help my truck run better, but didn't fix the issue.

Anyway, need to keep looking for the cause.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:10 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
You haven’t said what vehicle you’re working with so some of the tune-up stuff will be vague. As far as the clutch goes, that’s A LOT of miles on a clutch, but herky-jerky is more a sign of a broken damper spring on the clutch disc as opposed to a slipping wear issue. Still possible.

When yiu replaced the plugs, did you use the recommended twin pole plugs or conventional singles?

When is the last time you replaced the plug wires? They could be arcing to ground under load.

Did this come on all of a sudden? Or has it been getting worse over time?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:16 PM

Yeah sorry the truck in my sig. 98 V6 3.4L, 5speed 4x4. Changed wires with the plugs, don't remember which plugs but pretty sure I actually bought from Toyota. I typically buy OEM unless there's a generally accepted "just as good" or better option. Seems to be getting worse over time, but could just be now that I've really figured out what it is I'm feeling, it's just more noticeable.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
When you use a phone to read the forums, the signatures don’t show up.

Arcing plugs wires can be tested by spraying some water on them. The other test isn’t as easy on a standard shift. Normally you could brake torque in the shop with the lights out and see the arc show.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 83

Possibly a completely different issues, and almost definitely my clutch, is that lately after a couple hours on the interstate, my clutch is...weird. Harder to shift, more chattering getting moving from a stop light etc. Seems to get bad after pulling into town after a couple hours at high speeds. But my clutch does have 250,000 on it so I mean it's got to be starting to fade. Just not sure if that's my stumbling, jerky feeling at low rpm.

Any ideas on what to check?
Trans and transfer case fluids to start. Too little, too much, any metal, or time to change? Clutch fluid too.

Only since you mentioned those symptoms...

There's always that tight turn on routes that force me to downshift to 2nd but just barely high enough rpm to avoid 1st gear. Got used to going gentle on the accelerator until back in range for increased throttle.

I get the chatter noise when trying to engage 1st gear from rest up a grade. When I assist with the parking brake, I can increase rpms, to help compensate for the clutch wear.

My thinking is when the engine lugs, its basically like trying to pedal a bicycle from a state of low momentum on a higher, smaller gear. Same thing on the gears of the trans. The stumbling you mention could essentially be it trying to go forward faster, but in a smaller gear it cant, plus the fact that the components are an amazing 250k young.

What makes this possibly engine-related is I used to have a jacked up sparkplug hole that couldn't thread new plugs properly in cyl#3. After fixing the head threads, I had far less engine stumbling with trying engage into 2nd gear when cold. Key word here is less...I still have although rarely, so I'm back to clutch/trans possibilities as well, also in the 200k+ (though I am not eligible for the 250k mileage plus membership).

Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 AM

That's good to know about the mobile version. I don't think I've ever looked at the site on my phone.

Alright, I'll look into the arcing wires, thanks.

I've been meaning to change all my driveline fluids. I did them all with synthetic when I bought the truck, so late 2015. I've put 60K on it since then, with a decent amount of towing, so it's time.

I hope I haven't messed up any spark plug threads. Didn't notice this start after doing the plugs, though, so hopefully that's not it.

I'll check the wires and get around to changing fluids and see where that gets me.

I can't believe my clutch is still holding at all. Especially trying to situate and level my camper out in the mountains, I've definitely burnt it pretty good. I'm sure it's on its way out, but for now seems to be good enough.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 PM

I didnt mean your plugs may not be threaded properly, just that they could be related to condition of items such as plugs, wires, coil packs, etc....really any of the components responsible for proper combustion for each cylinder.

But I think usually you'd have pending if not actual trouble codes. Or see something on data streams on the scan tool. Still worth checking previous suggestions. If you were able to torque your plugs, I wouldnt worry about the threads. In my case, I couldnt...without removing the crush washer.

It seems more clutch/trans related to me, since you report issues with shifting hard, clutch transfer, and the mileage span of use. Correct me if I misunderstood.

Good luck! At least its driveable!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Yeah there are definitely some clutch issues going on, just not sure if they're causing this stumbling issue or not. It wouldn't surprise me if they were. Coil packs are something I haven't replaced, so I could check into those.

Truck is finally feeling its age a bit!

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low-speed lurching could also be caused by a binding drive-line, inducing 'axle wrap'.
Check your u-joints and slip-joint. Re-tighten the u-bolt nuts.

Its a long shot, but you should eliminate the simple stuff first.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:34 AM

Thank you. I'll check them. I figure with the amount I tow, all that kind of stuff will be wearing faster than average, so it's definitely worth checking.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Not sure if this could be the cause of my problem or not, but it's sure something I need to fix! Changing the transmission oil and noticed it.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM

That a loose bolt or/and a really worn tranmission mount?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
It looks like someone samurai-chopped the right side of the mount. That is a pretty clean break.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:46 AM

Yep! Clean break on one side, and either really bad, close to breaking multiple cracks on the other side, or another complete separation. The bolt is how it should be, but those rubber absorbers are not! I should have gotten a better photo. The worst break, on the right, is hiding in the shadows a bit.

I'll be ordering a new one as soon as the next paycheck comes in. Not from Toyota, unfortunately...$150...I mean that's not so bad, but I just can't do it right now. Other priorities.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:33 PM

I'm sure the transmission mount has something to do with what I've been feeling, but the problem was a misfire on cylinders 1 and 3, caused by corrosion on the wires and boots. I guess when I did them I didn't slather enough dielectric grease on them, so...corrosion. Funny there were no codes. Or maybe not?

Thanks everyone. Got all new plugs and wires and everything is cleaned up, so once I fix that tranny mount everything should be good!
Old 02-13-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Waal...…. can't help myself...….. Told ya so.....Best thing is that your truck got some additional TLC on the journey.

Quick Reply: Truck stumbling a bit when engine is lugged