Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Truck not starting - Clutch sensor maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck not starting - Clutch sensor maybe?

97' RWD 2.4L Tacoma (my lil' starter truck)

Was on way to work this morning and was still waking up, pushed my clutch in and engine turned over but i released the clutch to early by accident and it died. Embarrassed to say I have done this a few times before. Went I went to start start it again nothing happened. Not dead battery, I tried to jump.

I checked the clutch sensor and pushed it all the way down with my hand and also the pedal, nothing. Decided it was the sensor so I tried to bypass it by running wire between terminals of clip going into sensor and got nothing.

Wondering what this could be, any help is greatly appreciated.

And of course its raining and ive been bent under my dash for the last hour getting my ass soaked.

I ment to post this in newbie forum because i think it will get more views but now I cant delete this one, sorry!

Last edited by mustardboy; 05-04-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Clutch sensor? Not talking about the clutch cancel start? So the dashboard lights come on like usual and the familiar clicking? Gas cap fully closed? Any alternator/starter/fuel pump issues? If I'm way off course, hopefully more info / someone else can help you troubleshoot.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking what you were on the pedal sensor. Mine will act like that from time to time randomly but, of course, I didn't lock up my starter gear while it was at full speed. I hope you didn't break your starter. You could get under there with some jumper cables and try to manually power the starter to rule that out. Probably shouldn't have said that not knowing your level of comfort with something like that. It can be dangerous for a couple reasons but won't hurt anything if you do it right.

I'll keep thinking on it. If it were me, I'd take my multi meter down under and see if there is power going to the starter solenoid wire (The Little one) while someone turns the key to start. If not, your starter probably isn't the issue and you can keep looking into sensors, wiring and such.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Charchee
I... If it were me, I'd take my multi meter down under and see if there is power going to the starter solenoid wire (The Little one) while someone turns the key to start. If not, your starter probably isn't the issue and you can keep looking into sensors, wiring and such.
O.P.,
Charchee is talking about this (below). May look a little different on your truck..
An alternative is:
1) Ensure you're in Neutral
2) Disconnect the brown connector,
3) Run a wire straight from battery to the male spade in the starter solenoid connector.
Does the starter always turn over when you do above?

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
Gas cap fully closed?... Any alternator... fuel pump issues.
No relation to problem...

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-20-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rad's test will do the trick for your test. I should have said that last night. Connect your wire to the starter terminal first and then run it up to the top. Skin the wire back and just touch it to the battery to see what happens. Don't actually connect it to the battery, if you were wondering.