Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Stainless Steel High response muffler (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mpulver
Yeup! That's it!

Welcome to the fun of a freeflow!

I have a VERY noticeable difference when kicking it above, say, 40mph. It's a LOT of fun to kick it up and around a Camaro, 'Stang, etc. Not that I could beat them in a drag, just that it makes them double-take when they find me passing them, and the last they knew I was sitting in their rearview mirror.
Yes, I'm going to have some fun with some of the ricers here with the wings and fins and stuff

I'm going to start on the intake next. I'm going to go with the TRD Sport Air Filter and see what that does. They are a little pricey though. About $100. :pat:

Mo and Chris- I sent the video to both of you. I hope it comes out OK. It was almost 6 meg.

Since we don't have catalytic converters here the TRD JDM exhaust is a little different than the CAT BACK at that site but pretty close.

Oh, one other thing- I draw the line at videos for mods. I'm not sending any smell samples about how good the Griots car wash smells.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:05 AM

ok here it is woody you saved it as a dat so everyone is going to have to download it first before they can see it (i think). It sounds good i want one. Looks good too.

5.8mb

http://www.clarkson.edu/~calisec/4ru...es/winmail.dat
Old 07-06-2003, 09:07 AM

It opens up my wordpad?
Old 07-06-2003, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right click and save as to your desktop. Then RENAME the .dat to .mpg
Old 07-06-2003, 09:16 AM

Alright thanks got it working. That sounds real good!
Old 07-06-2003, 09:19 AM

edit: I got this in too late.

Originally posted by Vato Loco
It opens up my wordpad?
Yeup, that's because of the "dat" extension. Windows will default to opening "DAT" files with Wordpad.

To view/hear it, right-click on the link and select the "Save link as" option (it'll be named differently depending on your browser). This will save the file locally on your machine without trying to make use of it.

Once you have it saved, then find the file in Windows Explorer (I'm assuming you're using Windows), right-click and pick rename (or single click and hit F2), then change the extension from "DAT" to "MPG". Hit ENTER.

Open up Windows Media Player, find the file, then select it... You should be able to play it.

You can also shortcut this a bit... Right-click on the link, and find an option that's similar to "copy link location". This will take the _text_ of the link name and put it into Windows' edit buffer. Now open Windows Media Player, go to "Open URL" (or hit CTRL-U) and paste (CTRL-V) the text into the "Open" box. Hit ENTER. You don't have to change the name,

Media Player should start playing the clip directly. The downside of this is that if you don't have a connection that's as fast as the encoded bit rate of the file, then it will stutter until the file is buffered locally - which is basically the same as downloading the file first and then playing it.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jason B
Right click and save as to your desktop. Then RENAME the .dat to .mpg
I tried this and it still didn't work.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:30 AM

i just save it then right click open with, then select windows media player. I tried renaming it but xp wouldnt reconize the change. Chris

Last edited by impulsebrklyn; 07-06-2003 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know why it would be a dat file. Unless my ISP or yours did something when it was sent out or the Norton virus software changed it.

Momo- Did you not get the file I sent you?

I really like the sound but the extra power is what's really cool!
Old 07-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

I got the file but was unable to open it. I am sure it has something to do with me being a Mac guy...
Old 07-06-2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by momo.75
I got the file but was unable to open it. I am sure it has something to do with me being a Mac guy...
Ahhh! The Mac issue.

This is tricky, and you'll have to have access to ResEdit and be comfy wiht using it.

When the Mac looks at a file, it doesn't care about the 'file extension', it looks at the "resource fork" which is a secondary part of a file - a part that's stored separately from the data. When MacOS (or OS X) saves a file, if it thinks that a file has an "extension" on it, then it wil go through a lookup on that extension and assign a specific "resource fork" to it based on that extension. In the case of a DAT file, it will generaly defualt to a text editor, but that can change based on what extenstions you have installed.

Once the fork is created for a file, the name and/or type/extension of the file makes no difference. You have to change the resource fork in order for it to work with a different program. To do this, you need ResEdit. ResEdit can be pulled from a number of places, one is:

http://xfiles.erin.utoronto.ca/pub/mac/ResEdit/

The purpose of ResEdit is to allow you to change the resource fork of te file so that a specific program will recognize the file and try to handle it.

In general, what you want to do is to point ResEdit at a file that works with Microsoft Media Player, note the resource fork values of that file, and then set those in the new file that you just downloaded.

if you need specifics, lemme know and I can probably walk you through it.

Hope that helps!

Mark
Old 07-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Somebody has been eating their Wheaties........or at least spent the night in a Holiday Inn......

That is very helpful. I know my way around the Mac as far as it programs, but when it comes to technical, I am a D.A. I can figure out some of the basic stuff, but the detailed stuff is way beyond me, but f it has to do with art/graphics, I am all over it. Thanks for the help. I'll try it in the morning.

I don't know if you follow Mac or not, but have you seen the new G5? It is pretty nice.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/
Old 07-06-2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by momo.75
Somebody has been eating their Wheaties........or at least spent the night in a Holiday Inn......
Actually, that's how I tend to answer questions. I babble a LOT.

As for sleep... I think it's highly overrated I only sleep about 3 hours a night!

That is very helpful. I know my way around the Mac as far as it programs, but when it comes to technical, I am a D.A. I can figure out some of the basic stuff, but the detailed stuff is way beyond me, but f it has to do with art/graphics, I am all over it. Thanks for the help. I'll try it in the morning.
Kickin'! Lemme know if you get it workin'.

I don't know if you follow Mac or not, but have you seen the new G5? It is pretty nice.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/
Yeah... I've seen that. Apple certainly has it happening. But I can't help but look at that grille and see the gutter material that some folks are using as grille inserts.

And yeah, I'm dual-brained and live with both Macs and Windows machines at home.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:23 AM

This is my method.

Open the Windows media player and drag that .DAT file onto WMP.