Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Injector Kit ($1299)!

Old 01-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Peter. I was curious how people were making the changes to the ECU when they do mods beyond those stated by TRD. I guess the answer for now is to use it within the parameters that they have given. Is the "black box" branded only by TRD or did they outsource that unit from someone else?

Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by derrick92130
Thanks Peter. I was curious how people were making the changes to the ECU when they do mods beyond those stated by TRD. I guess the answer for now is to use it within the parameters that they have given. Is the "black box" branded only by TRD or did they outsource that unit from someone else?

Thanks again.
Derrick,
TRD is really just a marketing entity and outsource the production on what they sell. The black box is stamped TRD, or at least one of them was stamped as I recall.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by Gadget
If you want to try cooler plugs www.URDUSA.com has cooler plugs for much less then that.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
tnx gadget. looking at the urd website this would be an alternative approach to this 7th injector from TRD.

greg
Old 01-21-2004, 05:33 AM

Fuel Pump replacement

I am getting ready to replace the fuel pump with the WALBRO 190 ltr/hr pump and I would like to know if the 8 bolts that fasten the fuel pump and sender gauge assembly to the tank are stainless steel? Why? Because I just received the 8 new bolts that I ordered (PN 90159-50375) and they _are_ stainless steel. Isn't that nice.

I also ordered a new fuel suction gasket PN 77169-60010, just to be safe. I plan on making the change at the end of next week.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Pete
I am not sure if they are stainless. I do not believe so. I would also pick up the plastic clip for the high pressure fuel line.
It looks like a big C clip .
Michael
Old 01-21-2004, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by paxam
Pete
I am not sure if they are stainless. I do not believe so. I would also pick up the plastic clip for the high pressure fuel line.
It looks like a big C clip .
Michael
Michael,
From the looks of the pictures that I got with the pump from UDR, the OE screws do not look as if they are stainless, which means it is a good thing to order the PN I gave earlier because they are stainless.

By "clip" you are referring to the clip that holds the Fuel Pump Filter on, correct? If that be the case, a new filter and the tiny clip washer comes with the new pump. :pat:
Old 01-21-2004, 02:35 PM

Folks,

Over the weekend, I installed Gadget's fuel mod. kit and I must say Gadget has done a great job putting this kit together. The injectors, plugs, thermostat and Split Second FTC1 installation went very smoothly but the fuel pump, I gave it to a performance shop to install for me.

The performance is unbelievable where I'm kind of worried that my breaks might not be able to handle it. As far as pinging, I had to increase the retard value in FTC1 around 1000-2000 RPM, then after doing that I can't make it ping anymore.

I guess, I prefer Gadget's kit over 7th injector since we could adjust settings like retard value and etc.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Bay Runner
Folks,

Over the weekend, I installed Gadget's fuel mod. kit and I must say Gadget has done a great job putting this kit together. The injectors, plugs, thermostat and Split Second FTC1 installation went very smoothly but the fuel pump, I gave it to a performance shop to install for me.

The performance is unbelievable where I'm kind of worried that my breaks might not be able to handle it. As far as pinging, I had to increase the retard value in FTC1 around 1000-2000 RPM, then after doing that I can't make it ping anymore.

I guess, I prefer Gadget's kit over 7th injector since we could adjust settings like retard value and etc.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers.
That is great and I am very happy that it worked for you. Pre-ignition is like and like cancer and if not teated will eventually kill you, I mean kill your engine. I think for those who want to keep noodling with their rides . being able to adjust the parameters is a great option. I was more interested in getting it to run right and still have the blessing of Toyota under my Platinum warranty. Enjoy your new found muscle and let us know when you install the Brembo's.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

First of all get Brembo's .I have the sloted and drilled and the stoping power is excellent.
Peter the clip I am refering to is also the one in Gadgets instructions it is where the tank line meets the rubber hose . On my truck it is red and about 1/4 in tall . RIght now my truck is at toyota getting a new power steering pump put in .when I get it back I will snap a pic and em to you.
I have a flat spot in my 7th inj .it is timing related . I got a ext warrent that is why I chose the 7th inj. may be when the warrenty is over I will put Gadget's kit in.
I would like to go for a ride and see how his kit stacks up to the trd kit.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:43 AM

Slotted a-n-d drilled rotors ...Hmmmm? I am not convinced that is a cost effective mod for street rides, but it's good for bragging rights. Bling, Bling

I found out what you are talking about. On Mr. Gadget's instruction sheet he is talking about 2x4 Taco's, opposed to 4R's so maybe they did't use that quick disconnect on my car. In any event, I don't see why the lines have to be disconnected from the pump bracket assembly

I do not notice a flat spot in my 7th injector. I will be real curious to see when TRD starts making revisions to their program and if we will ever know about it.

My reasons for going with the TRD setup are about the same as yours .... Platinum Warranty = $900.00.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

900$$ .hmm I paid over 1100 for my warrenty.
My Toy is a 02 I believe yours is new also so I personally would not be buying the clip .It was not dry rotted on mine , though in a few more years I can see this piece falling appart.
I plan on picking up my truck today so I should have a pic of the clip late today .
I would like to see updates to the fuel//timing curve but I am sure it is a long time away. I may reset the computer since when I put the pump in I did not do that.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:20 AM

My Toyota dealer likes me. I buy cars from him regularly and refer a lot of people to them.

I would be curious to know where you are experiencing the flat spot because I may have the same thing now.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

around 2500 3200 rpm under light acceleration. if you hit it it will get up and go ,but if you are just driving you can feel it. lately under boost it feels like the 7th is not firing ..the truck is accelerating but not putting you back in the seat . other times it is a rocket. there is something going on computer/timing that I have no control over. and I doubt I will.
I may reset the computer this weekend since I did not do that after the warbro install.
Looking on the obd2 I do not see that it is monitoring fuel pressure so I am not sure if it will help or not.

M