Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

transmission slips after new radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission slips after new radiator?

i have a 97 4runner 4x4 3.4 auto tranny. i just changed out the radiator to a KOYO radiator to prevent the milkshake syndrome. after i changed it out, the transmission is slipping now??? anyone have any ideas??? did i put the wrong hose in through the other side on the radiator for the tranny cooler or something? when i come to a stop, it'll rev up to 3k rpms and then jerk like its a stick and then start to catch up with speed?

the first time i took it for a spin after install, it wouldn't even engage in gear, even tho it was in D. after reving it up a while in D, it'll eventually start going, so i went around the block and then when i got back i added a bottle of transmission fluid in. after that it was got a lot better but it still slips?? do i need more tranny fluid or something?? any help is appreciated. thank you so much. kinda clueless now. i did check the tranny dipstick but couldn't tell if it was filled or over filled....checked the first time and it looked dry, checked the second time and it looked like it had some all over the dipstick.......
Old 04-18-2010, 03:22 AM

check your trans fluid level.

make sure the truck is running.

i can't remember if it's possible to install backwards.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll bet a dollar to a donut that your transmission is low.

To check it start the truck up and put your foot on the brake and slowly shift through the gears then go back to park. Pull the stick and look at the bottom region marked cold. Some times you have to pull and wipe the stick and put it back in a couple of times to get a good reading.

IF its low then slowly add some ATF (Dextron III) and then wait about 10-15 minutes for it to all clear out of the fill tube. The do the above again and shift through the gears and take a reading.

The bottom of most radiators holds around 2 quarts or more of trans fluid, so I'm betting its just still REALLY low.

FOG
Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 AM

the chilton manuel is wrong if you changed the fluid and the radiator u prolly need to put about 5.5 quarts in it if u also drained ur fluid at the same time, when i changed mine the last time i put a little over 3 quarts in and it was shifting prety hard and then i found out that the manuel is wrong and added another full quart but i would make sure that u put at least 5 quarts in there when u did that
Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't remember the details, but yeah the manual is a wee bit off. When i drained mine and refilled, I had to add an extra quart or two (been two years ago, don't remember exactly). Better check your level and add some.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 PM

thanks guys. so far i have added 3 qts and it seems to run like normal now but i still cant get a good measurement from the dipstick. i didnt drain the tranny either when i changed out the radiator but would 5 qts leak out from the tranny cooler lines? i had a bucket to catch the coolant and the tranny line but it didn't look like there was 5 qts in there and with all the coolant from the radiator???? anyone know a proper way to check the dipstick?thanks again. you guys rock!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 AM

Make sure the engine is running when you check it, and preferably hot. Like they said above, shift through all the gears and then back to park before you check it. And don't just blow through them either, spend about 5 seconds in each one.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:15 AM

Also u need to make sure that u r parked on a level surface and the run it through the gears when its hot and remove the dipstick wipe clean replace and then pull it out again and check the level and it should b close to the hotline if its notthen u need to add more fluid burn careful bc toomuch fluid is just as bad as too little
Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, glad you posted this! I just ordered the same radiator and forgot to include additional tranny fluid in my parts list for the job. Hope everything works out!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 AM

glad it worked out for you.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM

ok i had some time today to go to a local shop and have him check it out. he told me that maybe before i changed out the radiator, i was probably low on atf fluid anyways thats why so little came out. but i told him i just had the tranny flushed and refilled. so im guessing when they did the flush and refilled, they probably jipped me on a few qts of atf. stupid me, did not check the dipstick either when i got that done. but anyways so far im getting good readings now after adding 2 more qts. its right above the first notch on the HOT side. so im assuming im good. here is some info i found if anyone out there is planning on doing the radiator. pretty simple. if you have an external tranny, i dont think you need to add atf but just double check the level when you're done installing the radiator.

Radiator replacement is really simple to do yourself. All you need is a couple of sockets, ratchet, extention, channel lock pliers and a small flat tip screw driver.

Pull the grill (small flat tip screwdriver),

drain radiator,

remove the clamps to the upper and lower hose (channel lock pliers),

remove the hoses from radiator,

remove four bolts from inside engine bay holding fan shroud (10 mm),

remove the 4 bolts from the front side of the radiator (12 mm & why you removed the
grille) which hold the side rails then pull the radiator out.

Getting the radiator out took about an hour and that counts draining it.

Reverse the procedure and replace with new radiator hoses and coolant and you're going to be good to go.