Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

toyota diesel conversion finished

Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhd
back from the dead

now...i've got an 85 efi SR5.....would one of these bolt up in my chassis?
2L and 2L-T diesel motors are direct bolt in to any 22-RE frame and transmission. They use the same motor mounts, and the same transmission to bellhousing bolt patterns. Many, many people have done these swaps.

I am gathering funds to do this, with a biodiesel conversion.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gettin off topic here but diesel are no good.

in the long term, the maintenance will eat up a chunk of your fund.

btw, dont get diesel truck if you dont tow, thats just waste of money.

-where do i get this info?
-from my neighbor whom is about 65yrs old. him and his brothers have had from diesel trucks to RV's and maintenance bills over his lifetime isnt pretty at all. btw, hes a self-taught mechanic, both diesel and gas.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

unbelieveable!!

That is the best man! I would love to have a diesel for my 3rd gen ....even though my 1999 3.4 L (gasoline)engine with 140K is literally a bullet proof engine.
Man you got me thinking about buying an earlier generation runner just so I could do that diesel project my self....
that is great

Profuse 007,
I my opinion you are wrong about diesels... Now, you would be right if we were talking about the older GM diesels that were HORRIBLE...., smelly, alfully unreliable, and just plain crap..... GM gave diesels a real bad name in the US. Many of the older diesel engines they put in RV's were Crap. Most RV's are made as cheaply as possible.... Just a cheap rolling box on wheels (that is waiting to breakdown). Most people like the idea of "RVing" untill they happen to break down in the middle of the Mohovie desert. (on the way to vegas)

Why else do I disaggree with the "diesels are bad" thinking?

Newer Diesel engines are simply GREAT ENGINES! 30% better fuel Economy, they will last at least 2 times longer than gasoline engines, Diesel fuel is cheaper, much better torque, and a TURBO!!!..... Come on? What else do you want?.....
some diesel engines get 500,000 miles (easy) before they need a rebuild.... I love my country, but THE USA IS VERY BEHIND IN DIESEL technology here....

Last edited by icerunner; 06-18-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: .
Old 06-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by profuse007
gettin off topic here but diesel are no good.

in the long term, the maintenance will eat up a chunk of your fund.

btw, dont get diesel truck if you dont tow, thats just waste of money.

-where do i get this info?
-from my neighbor whom is about 65yrs old. him and his brothers have had from diesel trucks to RV's and maintenance bills over his lifetime isnt pretty at all. btw, hes a self-taught mechanic, both diesel and gas.
Big Rig motors are diesel and run on average a million miles.

The prices will come down for parts and maintenence as more diesel engines are allowed into the states.

Toyota diesel trucks are only sold overseas currently and while the parts are more expensive, they also have great reputations for reliability in Austrailia and Japan.

Originally Posted by icerunner
I love my country, but THE USA IS VERY BEHIND IN DIESEL technology here....
There are reasons for that.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
2L and 2L-T diesel motors are direct bolt in to any 22-RE frame and transmission. They use the same motor mounts, and the same transmission to bellhousing bolt patterns. Many, many people have done these swaps.

I am gathering funds to do this, with a biodiesel conversion.
Did you ever end up getting the funds to do this?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 AM

Many of those Toyota diesels sold in Australia are 125 hp diesels.

0-60 by the calendar.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 AM

diesel yota, where in texas you from man?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 4runner4ever
What do you want to know about Toyota diesels? I've got most Yota manuals and several pics. I can also make specific pics since several friends drive 2L 2LT's and 3LT's. And I have tons of parts about diesels. And I can probably get the engines for half the price you would pay in the US.
4runner4ever how much can you get the 2.4td with manual transmission working harness and ECM? I found one here into the states for $2700 shipped... any info on how hard it will be to get it emissions ready in Colorado? Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Since tax laws changed down here heavy vehicles with diesels are expensive to drive. Many cars have been exported and the 4x4 scene is as good as dead.
In only see alot of LC and a few Hilux with the 3.0 TD.
2.4 TD have just about disappeared completely.
And the 3.0's are very expensive. I asked around last year for a guy on the forum and about €6000,- was the cheapest I could source.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4runner4ever
Since tax laws changed down here heavy vehicles with diesels are expensive to drive. Many cars have been exported and the 4x4 scene is as good as dead.
In only see alot of LC and a few Hilux with the 3.0 TD.
2.4 TD have just about disappeared completely.
And the 3.0's are very expensive. I asked around last year for a guy on the forum and about €6000,- was the cheapest I could source.
Ouch that is crazy expensive I think I will go with my source here in the states. Can I swap in the 2.4 td in my 94 4runner 3.0 without any huge problems?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

No huge problems but there will be lots of small things to fix. Like remove the fuel pump and replace it with a suction tube. Small stuff like that and lots more.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:49 AM

Question toyota 22re to 2lt swap

Ok hello fellow automotive enthusiast. I'm a newbie to this posting stuff so thanks in advance. I have read EXTENSIVELY for months in different forums and I don't find the specific answers, so here I go. I have a 1986 rwd 22re automatic true 6 bolt one ton full floating rear axle pickup motorhome, weighs bout 5000lbs. The front axle is actually the original old 5 bolt pattern and I'm not sure if that front axle is different from the 6 bolt one and if it even matters or makes a difference for it being a motorhome and a diesel engine swap maybe going to make it to heavy for it?? that's another question I have. But it does have the good rear axle that got upgraded just that year and up for these motorhomes. Anyways I want to swap to the 2lt and maybe even the 2lte. The most common option I see and like is buying a 1984-1986 pickup 4x4 5 speed manual sometimes 2lt or just the 2l here in united states in bad to ehh condition. I like this option because I want everything to look like original stock upgraded 1986 Toyota diesel. If i get the 2l I'm thinking of buying the turbo kit on ebay maybe with an intercooler upgrading to the 3l head due to the over heating issued cracking 2lt heads and raising turbo to 12psi. I'm thinking to maybe put the other truck back together also to re-sell as a gas truck. But anyways so to begin I'm kind of lost in a few areas here, will the 4x4 diesel bell housing bolt on the auto transmission that i have now then I just need the 2wd auto 2lt computer or what?? Can i remove the 4x4 option from the tranny if i decide to swap the 2l engine with the manual tranny that it comes with if so how?? Will I need to get a different computer one originally for the 2wd auto diesel?? For the motorhome i definitely want to keep it rwd that's not an option to change, less overall weight better economy for me. I can deal with the 5 speed manual, i kind of like the idea of it, but im also very happy with auto trans so which ever scenario is cheaper, works better or both. I've seen the kits to rebuild these engines and trannys on eBay for decent prices. I have a family owned auto sale business equipped with a nice strong at least 20ft hydraulic lift. plus engine lifts compressors and plenty of tools. and my step father is a decent diagnostic pull out put in mechanic but never worked on diesel engines before. What do you guys recommend? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated I've been planning this for over 2 years now saving a decent amount of money and spending a lot doing a restoration to my rv that I bought for 1,200$ I want it to be an icon for economical innovative off the grid living design utilizing solar panels to power home electrical living and the option of using bio-diesel. I personally deal with web management and I'm a project consultant at a Miami online based product development firm. This Toyota motorhome truck is my dream project. Thanks again
Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 AM

Rear end question

Hi I am about to buy a gas to diesel conversion and I sm curious what u did about the rear end? Did u swap tgat as well? What work did u do to it if not [
Originally Posted by Dieselyota
Well, I have always been in love with the economy and torque of the diesel engine but have never cared for any of the cars that are produced with a diesel in them stock. I learned from www.sr5.net that toyota made a turbo diesel in the light trucks and imported them into the US during the 1980's and continued to produce them all over the world to this day. I did some heavy research and learned that the 2L-T 2446 cc inline 4 cylinder IDI turbo diesel was a direct bolt on to my 1993 4x4 single cab frame. Not only was it bolt on, but the w56 transmission (which is used in the trucks and 4-runners from roughly 1988-1995) has a removable bellhousing which allowed me to get ahold of a diesel bellhousing and bolt it up to my trans. Fortunately I did not have to lenghten or shorten my driveshafts or any drivetrain components whatsoever. The wiring was as easy as hooking up a single wire to my fuel cut solenoid to allow fuel to enter my injection pump and when the key is turned off, the fuel cut solenoid closes stopping the engine. As I am a perfectionist, I got ahold of a fuel filler neck from toyota and even the "diesel only" sticker which accompanies the filler neck. It appears totally stock and everything functions flawlessly. I have had people run up to me at the gas station yelling and screaming that I'm putting diesel into my truck as if I am a moron. Only to see their jaws drop when I pop the hood and show them. The power output I would guess is somewhere in between the 22re and the 3VZE. But the economy is incredible. I'll bet even more so once I regear to a 4:88 ratio. This engine does not even sound like a diesel. I remarkable sounds like a smoother running 22re. If you have any specifics about the swap let me know. I think the hardest part of the entire conversion was making everything appear stock. The actual engine trans swap was easy and required no fab work at all. I bought my engine from a JCM importer called ASAP motors in Houston, TX for $1800 with shipping. The pictures I posted were a few weeks ago when it was just being driveable. Since then I have tweeked the injection pump timing and added an intercooler from a TDI VW. I also have hooked up my glow plugs with the timers and relays and wired them up to where in my instrument cluster the check engine light comes on when the glow plugs cycle and turns off when they are off. Pretty cool huh??
Old 09-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend to get at least the intercooled 1KZ-TE or better yet the 1KD-FTV. The Japan-made ones, not the ones from Thailand. The ones from Thailand had oil-consumption issues.

The 2L-TE is too small for the 3rd gen 4Runner. Also, many 2L-TEs had overheating issues, especially when the water hoses have been cut-off or rerouted incorrectly.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Rear end?

Thank u ! That is very helpful as well.
U will look into that. But what about UR rear end?
Did u swap it out or keep OG . I'm worried about the torc of the diesel shredding it
Old 09-03-2015, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

if your truck currently has the 5VZ-FE engine, then there's no need to replace the rear diff. it is strong enough to handle the 1KZ-TE or the 1KD-FTV.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 AM

85'

My truck is an 85 that now has 2lt turbo .
I think the engines U speak of are much newer.
This will bet first diesel . Going to get it in SATURDAY and want to make sure I know whAt Im
Getting into any advice would be great.
I know these are rare and if u do it right .. U are golden.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:11 PM

I also a diesel conversion .. Something 2.4 lt turbo.

Can u tell please... Where u found UR fan shroud? Im hsving trouble finding one that fits..
I like to ask some other questions too if u font mind. I'm having some cooling issues
QUOTE=Dieselyota;113147]Here are some pictures of my turbo diesel conversion. It's a toyota 2L-T turbo diesel 2.4L 4 cylinder.I get like 30mpg average. My html is off so it looks like I cant post it here but I included a link.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/solohant/index.html[/QUOTE]
Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

1. the 2L-T engine has some hoses for water. are the hoses complete and no rerouting done?

2. have you checked on the thermostat and is it working? normally it is an 82-degree thermostat. you might like to change it to a 72-degree one or something close.

3. have you checked on the radiator fan? the silicone oil in the clutch may need to be replaced or refilled.

4. have you checked on the radiator that it is not clogged?

5. is the turbo working?

6. the shroud has only a small effect on the engine so that should be for last.

7. lastly, check on the cylinder head. it maybe warped already or cracked.

Last edited by KZN185W; 10-26-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Thank u

I will check those things asap... I changed the thermostat and then it still got hot after only going 60 miles or so... It didn't overheat, I stopped it before then and it cools right down in s couple minutes .i will go down UR check list , I reslly appreciate UR response . As this truck is new to me & I am getting to know it . I live it and i achy to be sure all is gone properly etc.
Originally Posted by KZN185W
1. the 2L-T engine has some hoses for water. are the hoses complete and no rerouting done?

2. have you checked on the thermostat and is it working? normally it is an 82-degree thermostat. you might like to change it to a 72-degree one or something close.

3. have you checked on the radiator fan? the silicone oil in the clutch may need to be replaced or refilled.

4. have you checked on the radiator that it is not clogged?

5. is the turbo working?

6. the shroud has only a small effect on the engine so that should be for last.

7. lastly, check on the cylinder head. it maybe warped already or cracked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: toyota diesel conversion finished