Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

toyota diesel conversion finished

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i saw a diesel 4x4 pickup the other day when i was fishing. at first i thought it was a turbo truck(because there was an extra badge below the "toyota" on the pillar, then noticed it said "2.4D". wish i could find me one like that
Old 07-02-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel

Well, I will be selling mine for $9000 in a couple of months. Anyone interested inquire here. Great truck but I need to recoupe some expenses.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:44 PM

Thumbs up Yes 30 MPG is great, but better is when the fuel costs NOTHING

I have 2 2LT turbo diesels, Their not slugs. Toyota forgot that what a turbo diesel needs is to breathe. It came stock with 2"OD pipe with lots sharp bends, down to 1 7/8 ODpipe into a 55 galon drum type muffler.

I installed 2 1/4 inch exhaust & turbo muffler, & cowl induction onto my 1st truck, & took the 7psi boost to 10, & this truck hauls.

Next will be 2 1/2 & no muffler on my 2LT extended cab 4x4

Being a diesel I can run it for free on other oils too , & no emmitions testing to go through.

Last edited by fryer truck; 07-05-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way to go Idaho !!!!!! Well I guess your not from Idaho but great looking rig .
Old 07-06-2003, 11:24 AM

Have you made any biodiesel for it? I did a research paper on biodiesel and how to make it and I would love to get a diesel rig to test it on.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

In Europe there are several places where you can fill your car up with biodiesel. But if I remember correctly a lot of cars had problems after some time. Sometimes the biodiesel corroded the rubber seals inside the injection pump.
So be careful what you use when you decide to do this.

O, and don't use oil or grease from your local snackbar for making biodiesel. Your car will end up spreading an odor like a skunk. It reeks like a giant bag of french fries going down the street
Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 AM

Yeah, your right on both accounts. The newer diesel vehicles have a new ruber, starts with a V - something that stands up to biodiesel. If you ran reg. diesel in your rig, you will have a layer of scum on the bottom of your gas tank, and biodiesel is such a good solvent it will pick it up and try to send it through your filter. That means you either need to drop the the tank and clean it our put in a cheap after market filter in line before your OE filter.

I know that if you use fry grease it will smell like the fry's, but is it that bad? I had always heard that it was a slight smell, not skunky. Interesting..
Old 07-07-2003, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the smell from biodiesel comes from whatever oil you use in it. so if you get it from taco bell, your exhaust will smell like tacos

i heard you can mix it 50/50 with regular diesel for using it in something with typical rubber seals, but if you replace them with special rubber(or something like that, forgot the name) you can run it straight. not bad since you can make it in your back yard for .50 a gallon
Old 07-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Toyota Diesel Conversion Finished

The bigger exhaust is the way to go. In Australia a common mod is a 3 inch down pipe from the Turbo then 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 from there back.

Also another good mod is to re-route the intake pipe to the air filter by turning round the filter case and routing it to the back of the engine bay as the route from the front is a bit restrictive.

Glad you all like the diesel engines, my only comment was that the later 3.0L TD was a better engine with seemingly less head trouble / more power and torque.

The 2.4 will never be a real performance machine but the low and mid range torque is pretty good and makes it very tractable off road. Even better with the slush box as well.

Cheers
Andy
Old 07-07-2003, 11:42 AM

My goal is to make some biodiesel once school starts again. I am seriously looking into finding a drop in Diesel for my 87' 4runner, with the 4 cyl right now, if any one has info/diesel engion, let me know, thanks!!

Lucky - what is a slush box?

Kyle - your right about mixing bio with dino, it is mixable in any ratio. Here in the states if you can find it, it is usally a 20% bio, 80 % dino. That also helps deal with the reatively high gelling temp some people have problems with.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Toyota Diesel

Sorry.

Slush box = Automatic ( probably showing my age and previous custom car nut form there.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

What do you want to know about Toyota diesels? I've got most Yota manuals and several pics. I can also make specific pics since several friends drive 2L 2LT's and 3LT's. And I have tons of parts about diesels. And I can probably get the engines for half the price you would pay in the US.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:40 PM

4Runner4ever, you have a PM
Old 07-10-2003, 11:03 AM

diesels

Yup, I gotta agree with you blokes, diesel are great. once you been bitten by the diesel bug you'll always love them.
I Owned a CJ7 replica fitted with a ford V6 that was emptying my pocket faster than a kid empties a pack of candy. I was then introduced to a 2C ( 2 litre diesel)that i picked up for R2500,00 (South african Rand), a custom cast bellhousing for R350.00 onto the toy 4 spd box, The end result a perfect match. Loads of torque (not too fast), but this baby ran for ever on a tank of diesel.
These cut outs are plentyfull here from the 1C up to the 3L, and as a added bonus, our emmision restrictions are not too heavy.
The Kzte 3.0 version is scarce(would love one), and very expensive, but for now i'm happy with my 2.4 diesel (Standard in the Surf)
Old 07-10-2003, 06:02 PM

Hey folks,

Which model diesel motors bolt onto a 2nd gen frame? I see all the folks on other sides of the big ponds talking about the various displacements, but which ones will work on the various generations?

-Ben
Old 07-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Which Diesels fit

The 1st Gen had the 2LT engine (2.4 Turbo Diesel non EFI) and also the 2L (non Turbo) and the 3L (2.8 non Turbo) engines.

The Second Gen had the 2LT and 2LTE engines as well as the 3L in some and the 1KZTE (3.0 Turbo EFI) from 1994 onwards and the 2LTE (2.4 Turbo Diesels EFI) from 1991 to 1994).

The 3rd Gen has the 1KZTE.

You need to be carefull putting in the various engines as they often need modified mounting brackets because even on the 2nd Gen the mounting brackets differ between the 1KZTE and the 2LT/2LTE and also probably the V6, however new mountings can be fitted in the correct position and the engine will then be a straight (ish) swap with the correct wiring loom.

1KZTE is the way to go if you can get one. Later models from 3rd gens had an intercooler fitted.

The 2LTE and 1KZTE have also been fitted to the Landcruiser 2 or Prado and the 1KZTE is also fitted to the later Prado / Colorado with an intercooler.

Cheers
Old 07-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, your about right. I think.
I once put a 2L-T 2 gen in a short wheelbase '85 pivkup with solid axle. It had the 22R or 20R or something like that. The engine brackets are a direct bolt on and the 5 speed pickup gearbox bolts on to the engine if you use the diesel bellhousing. Most of the rest also fits with minor mods.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:14 PM

congrats
I'm jealous
Now come put one in mine!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:06 AM

Heating problems ?

Have you had any heating problems with the 2L2-T conversion,
I've done the same conversion and are havinngendless overheating problems.
Been on a dyno-better than factory specs, tested for gas in the cooling system-all o.k, new radiator, new bigger exhaust, thermaostat, and guages/sender units changed, holes cut in the bonnet, fan made solid...no joy

Originally Posted by Dieselyota
Well, I have always been in love with the economy and torque of the diesel engine but have never cared for any of the cars that are produced with a diesel in them stock. I learned from www.sr5.net that toyota made a turbo diesel in the light trucks and imported them into the US during the 1980's and continued to produce them all over the world to this day. I did some heavy research and learned that the 2L-T 2446 cc inline 4 cylinder IDI turbo diesel was a direct bolt on to my 1993 4x4 single cab frame. Not only was it bolt on, but the w56 transmission (which is used in the trucks and 4-runners from roughly 1988-1995) has a removable bellhousing which allowed me to get ahold of a diesel bellhousing and bolt it up to my trans. Fortunately I did not have to lenghten or shorten my driveshafts or any drivetrain components whatsoever. The wiring was as easy as hooking up a single wire to my fuel cut solenoid to allow fuel to enter my injection pump and when the key is turned off, the fuel cut solenoid closes stopping the engine. As I am a perfectionist, I got ahold of a fuel filler neck from toyota and even the "diesel only" sticker which accompanies the filler neck. It appears totally stock and everything functions flawlessly. I have had people run up to me at the gas station yelling and screaming that I'm putting diesel into my truck as if I am a moron. Only to see their jaws drop when I pop the hood and show them. The power output I would guess is somewhere in between the 22re and the 3VZE. But the economy is incredible. I'll bet even more so once I regear to a 4:88 ratio. This engine does not even sound like a diesel. I remarkable sounds like a smoother running 22re. If you have any specifics about the swap let me know. I think the hardest part of the entire conversion was making everything appear stock. The actual engine trans swap was easy and required no fab work at all. I bought my engine from a JCM importer called ASAP motors in Houston, TX for $1800 with shipping. The pictures I posted were a few weeks ago when it was just being driveable. Since then I have tweeked the injection pump timing and added an intercooler from a TDI VW. I also have hooked up my glow plugs with the timers and relays and wired them up to where in my instrument cluster the check engine light comes on when the glow plugs cycle and turns off when they are off. Pretty cool huh??
Old 12-13-2004, 01:56 PM

Arf... Where's my last reply?

2.4 TD engine is the one that mount Toyota PickUps (Hilux) here in Europe.
It has poor torque compared to the 3.0 TD (Mine).

I supose that is very difficult to get an 1KZT engine in the US, like is difficult to me get your lifts, shocks, coils, etc...

I have a dirty pic of my 3.0 TD engine.

In a future I plan to put it an intercooler and to mess a little with the turbo.

Those are very very lasting engines, mine has 172430 miles an haven't had any problem... My only problem was that my A/C radiator got bored...
I also have the first stock clutch

David

Quick Reply: toyota diesel conversion finished