Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

torsion bar crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post torsion bar crank

I've got a couple questions about getting my torsion bar cranked up. One, is this something that I should tackle myself or should i bring it to a front end shop. I have pretty good mechanical knowledge and skill and tools arent a problem, but I just want to know if it would save me a lot of trouble and possible money by not ruining something by having it professionaly done? My second question is if having it tightened up can damage anything over time other than the cv joints which can be eased by manual locking hubs.. Thanks guys
Old 12-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

do it yourself.

CVs will be most affected component other than ride quality.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Make sure you get it alignment done ASAP after the crank. It throws your toe in all out of whack.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22mm box end wrench plus a 22mm ratchet.

Really easy.

Get an alignment to make sure it is all kosher.

I recomend against it. All it does is make your compression bumpstops less likely to get used.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:26 PM

Definately do it youself (the crank, but not the alignment) I would never trust a front end shop to do this unless they work on toyota 4wd vehicles exclusively, and know how to listen to the customer!!! Now i will tell you my horror story:alien:

*beginning of rant*

I put in my downey HD coils myself and then took it in to Firestone (where i had recently bought my AT Revo's) to ave the front end cranked up and the new brake line installed. So I got it back later that day and the stupid doofus in the shop failed to follow my request of a 1" increase up front and cranked them as far as they could possibly go! if you look just above the rear protion of the upper A-arm on our front IFS setup you will notice a small square bumpstop that limits up-travel, well once i got home and realized how crappy ans bouncey the ride was i noticed upon inspection that the doofus had cranked them so far that the A-arm was pressed against that bump stop and couldnt move at all!!!!

So after i took it back to have it lowered slighty it was even lower than the fiorst time i had brought it in in the forst place! I was ABSOLUTELY IRATE

I told them I would not pay for the second time at all, and i drove my runner straight into the garage and stood there while they redid it exactly to my specifications, but it still pissed me off cuz they jsut dont take the time to do it right unless you are htere telling them too.

*end of rant*

So aside from the rant, get under there, locate the bolts, and Get out a BFW and turn them going at one turn at a time andmaking sure that you give both sides an equal # of turns. once its where you like it, check bump stop clearance etc, and give it a good shake to settle, check again, and if its good, drive it straight to an alignment shop. and thats all!